Strange Fitbit Issue

Options
HollyPFlax
HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
edited November 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I suppose this is just as much (if not more) a fitbit issue and not a MFP one. To give some background, I've used MFP for almost 4 years and usually have a fitbit product synced. I've had a fitbit charge 2 for about a year and a half and I love it. The calories burned that it shows on MFP are surprisingly accurate for me. Until today. Upon reviewing my breakfast and morning weigh-in, I realized that MFP was giving me 132 calories of exercise today. I went to bed at midnight. I opened the fitbit app. The amount of steps taken today is accurate (close to the average that it usually is at the time of day). But it says that I have 25 active minutes today... From 12:30-12:55. When it also shows me asleep. Can someone please offer an explanation? I've restarted the fitbit, should that fix the issue in the future? Thank you!

Edit: The fitbit app says that my heart rate increased from resting (60-66 bpm) to 152 bpm during this time. Is that normal?

Replies

• HollyPFlax
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I don't; as I've said, mine is accurate except for today. I've lost 50 lbs using a fitbit synced to MFP and have maintained the loss for a year. My current BMI is 19.3, which I bring up because accuracy of tracking calories in and out matters more at lower weights (there is less leeway). I've been very happy with the accuracy of my fitbit's tracking so far.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My Charge 2 is pretty accurate for me most of the time, but I get wonky stuff now and then. Like a couple of weeks ago I was doing an interval ride...my average HR per my Garmin was 152; when I ended the session and checked my FitBit, it said my average HR was 106. Conversely, I was walking my dog over the weekend and when I finished, my FitBit said my average HR was 176.

I'm approaching the one year mark and these little glitches in the matrix seem to be happening more frequently.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    HollyPFlax wrote: »
    ....But it says that I have 25 active minutes today... From 12:30-12:55. When it also shows me asleep. ...

Edit: The fitbit app says that my heart rate increased from resting (60-66 bpm) to 152 bpm during this time. Is that normal?
    Did you have a nightmare/night terror? That could be the source of the heart rate increase.

That's exactly what I was going to ask too.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've always found my fitbit/MFP Data almost spot on until a few weeks ago.

Same problem for my husband.

It coincided with MFP logging people out of accounts and people having sign in issues also.
  • HollyPFlax
    Options
    Thanks for your responses! I don't remember having a nightmare, but it could have happened. If this only happens once, I'll chalk it up to that. I don't like the thought that fitbits are less accurate after the logout bug! Hopefully whatever is going on will be fixed. I'll just accept the anomaly, eat normally today, and remind myself that I have 132 fewer exercise calories to work with. : )
  • helenback07
    helenback07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ive had this happen before - only once back when I had a Charge. I woke up in the morning and it had said my heartrate had gone up to 220 (definitely not) and I had already done a few hundred steps. I think its just a glitch. I reset it and never had a problem again whilst I had my Charge.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Any MFP bug or issue isn't going to effect the Fitbit data itself - at most an MFP bug will effect the math because what Fitbit sends is misread or dealt with incorrectly.

If the Fitbit itself says you had active minutes and elevated HR (and that same daily graph should show increased calorie burn too in that case) - then that's a Fitbit issue.

Anything related to MFP sign-in issues is unrelated.