Swimming data on my Garmin VA3

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
I am still getting acquainted with my Garmin VA3. The swim data on type of stroke is completely inaccurate. On the day shown below, I did all freestyle (purple) for the first 50 minutes (approx). I did NO breastroke (red). I did backstroke (green) only on the last few laps, yet it appears on length 9 when I was actually doing freestyle. 11 of the 60 lengths are listed as unknown.
I appreciate these sensors might not be perfect, and my stokes are not perfect either, but this is pretty useless. Any insight is appreciated!

3ev1cac5mqx1.png

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I got nuthin’, that’s a really strange one. I swam last night and my 935 detected it all correctly except for missing one length when I apparently didn’t push off the wall hard enough. I swam one warmup lap as one length of backstroke and the return length as breaststroke, and it showed that lap as “mixed”. The rest all (correctly) showed up as freestyle. And my technique is far from perfect!

Whether your technique is perfect or not, I’d be hesitant to pin those errors on you. An accelerometer should easily be able to tell the difference between free and breaststroke! You may want to get in touch with Garmin Support and see if they have any suggestions.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    @lorrpb - Question just out of curiosity - where does that graph come from? Is it off the Garmin Connect Android app? I’ve viewed my swims on the web version and the iOS version of GC, never seen a graph that looked like that.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It’s on the web. I click on intervals, then graphical. I might have downloaded some extra data fields, not sure.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've never seen that either, will have to try myself. Thanks @lorrpb !