Morning vs Evening Workouts

Options
I would like to hear your routines. I have tried and tried a morning routine but just don't have the energy for it. I would love to workout in the AM so I can free up my evenings. What are your suggestions? (BTW, I work so it is either a very early morning workout or late evening)

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I end up doing morning workouts because otherwise I find it too easy to skip. I PREFER an evening workout, but the gym is way too busy until later in the evening, which is way to late for my workout partner (he works in the area, but doesn't live that close, so it needs to be close to work hours for him), without someone to help hold me accountable, I'm way to likely to go home and get into "veg" mode.

I started by getting up 15 minutes earlier, doing some activity during that time, and then a week later, 15 in earlier, using that 30 min for an at home workout, and build up until I have enough time for a gym workout.
  • crisma1974
    crisma1974 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 3:45 and at the gym at 4:30 to get my workout in. After awhile, it just becomes habit. I don't even think about it any more. My gym clothes, work clothes, and food are all prepped the night before and ready to go when I roll out of bed.

Yikes 3:45?!! I think I am still snoring at that time. LOL. Wow, so awesome.
  • crisma1974
    crisma1974 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I end up doing morning workouts because otherwise I find it too easy to skip. I PREFER an evening workout, but the gym is way too busy until later in the evening, which is way to late for my workout partner (he works in the area, but doesn't live that close, so it needs to be close to work hours for him), without someone to help hold me accountable, I'm way to likely to go home and get into "veg" mode.

I started by getting up 15 minutes earlier, doing some activity during that time, and then a week later, 15 in earlier, using that 30 min for an at home workout, and build up until I have enough time for a gym workout.

I like that. Go slow and start getting up 15 minutes earlier. I think I will do that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do both depending on the season and my schedule. For the morning, you just have to get up and go do it. I typically ride in the AM in the summer to beat the heat...my alternative is getting a ride in early evening when the temps are 100*+ so I'm pretty motivated to get up and get out early. I usually wake up about 30-45 minutes before I want to head out so that I have time to get some coffee in me and shake off the cobwebs.

If I workout in the evening, it's right after work, either straight to the gym to lift or I get on my bike and hit the road or my indoor bike trainer.
  • orngnerdz
    orngnerdz Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I do both. Like this week:
    Monday 9-10 am (no work)
    Tuesday 430-530 pm
    Thursday 530-630 am
    Friday 5-6 pm
    Saturday 930-1030

The reason I do mornings and evenings is because of the classes my gym offers. I do strength 3x a week and HIIT class twice a week. I would go in the morning every day if I could but classes don't start until 6 and I need to be at work by 715 at the latest. On those days, I go in at 530 and do my own thing until 6 when the trainers get there and I can ask questions. I like mornings because I feel better the rest of the day but it took me a long time to get to that point. I can't remember the last time I didn't wake up to an alarm (which is depressing) but I'm dedicated to the process!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5, get dressed etc. and lounge around drinking my coffee until 5:30, then work out. Either run outside or do strength training in my basement. I fretted over getting up in the mornings for a long time, googling "how to become a morning person" "working out in the mornings" etc. to find all the tips and tricks that were out there but there really aren't any. You just have to do it. That first morning is hard and then after that it becomes routine. There are some mornings I don't get up because I didn't sleep well, or whatever reason I may have, and in that case I get my workout done in the evening after work. But I really prefer to get it done in the mornings.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning before my husband leaves for work. I stay home with my kids so getting the workout done is the best option for our situation.
    I’m Up at 5-515 am, gym by 530 home by 715. It helps that my gym is 5 min from my house and my kids all sleep until I’m home.
    I never would have thought I could be an early am gym person, but it’s been years and I love it.
    Good luck!
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Btw I too have clothes, water bottle, shoes, watch etc all ready.
    Also caffeine pills lol
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I also set my coffee maker on auto brew so it's ready when I come downstairs
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Oh how I wish I could get up early enough to workout before work every day. That is a dream of mine, one day...
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I do all different times of day but prefer afternoon work outs.

My Normal week is:
    Sunday, Long run around 2hrs at lunch time (Day off)
    Monday, rest day 1hr walk at 5.30pm
    Tuesday, 30 minute run around 6am
    Wednesday, 50 minute run around lunch time (Day off)
    Thursday, rest day 1hr walk at 5.30pm
    Friday, 40 minute run at 6am

Running means I can be out the door and exercising within 10 minutes of waking
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Evening workouts for me. I am not a morning person. For me, deciding to exercise in the morning is exactly the same as accepting that I'm not going to exercise.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Evening workouts for me. I’m sleeping in the mornings.

Additionally, I don’t have particularly good workouts in the AM. I need quite a bit of warmup just to reach a level of mobility I generally have by the end of a regular day (never mind warming up for rhe actual workout). So morning workouts are not really productive (nor are they my preference). If I absolutely have to, I will-but I whine and complain the whole time.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Oh how I wish I could get up early enough to workout before work every day. That is a dream of mine, one day...

Actually, it's pretty easy to get up early. The real trick is going to bed early enough to be able to get up!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I just don't have the same energy in the mornings that I do later in the day regardless of sleep or macros. I've tried for months at a time over the last several years and it's just not as good a workout for me and my lifts don't progress as well. I've just come to accept it.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I get REALLY wired after working out, so I can't do evenings and expect to get to bed at a reasonable time. However, people are different. A good friend of mine gets exhausted after working out, so she chooses evenings to help her sleep. We can never work out together! My trick is to make it convenient. I set out my clothes, ready my bike, and pack my food the night before. I'm out of bed at 5:23. If I sleep in one second the whole morning falls apart, so I HAVE to do it. At 5:40am I'm biking to the gym to start my 6am class. The class has to be on the way to work so I have no excuse. It also has to be a class so I feel like I have someone to be accountable to.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I do morning. I have to get up an hour before I eat anyway due to medications, so I turned that time into workout. I do 30 min youtube videos. Currently I wake up at 5am.

My mental hacks are to get dressed immediately in workout clothes, which makes me avoid the temptations to sit and surf web all morning. On weekends or non-work days I will do routine as soon as I wake up, otherwise it gets neglected.

It is hard to wake up, and i'm usually dragging my feet until I start the routine. but all I need to have willpower for is pushing the start button. after that i quickly wake up, and once my video is done I am happy that i can relax once I get home that night. Plus you get the added feeling of happiness from getting an item off your to-do list before you even start your workday =)

I had another friend that went to the gym on his lunch break. We had a flexible schedule so as long as he worked his 8 hrs in a day he could go for the hour and then eat while working at desk. we also didn't have a strict office dress code, so if he came back in workout clothes and changed at office restroom he could do that.
  • epr31295
    epr31295 Posts: 6,213 Member
    Options
    I find that what works for me is an hour of lifting, Planks or stretching in the morning and the elliptical, ArcTrainer or walking after work. But i do wake up with more energy then I have all day!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person, period. If I tried to only workout in the morning before work, it would never ever happen.

I go directly after work -- literally straight from work to the gym. If it's a lifting day, I come home, change, and lift (I have a basic/good-enough-for-my-needs setup in my office). On the weekend, I either go to a morning barre class, or I do a mid-day run or swim.