My bra doesn't fit right since I lost weight! Help!

Options
There is just about nothing more comfortable and appearance enhancing than a bra that fits, and, I'm sure I'm not alone in experiencing the changes in bust size during weight changes.

The first new piece of clothing I purchase after weight loss, or gain, is a bra.

I usually go to Nordstroms and get measured by the lingerie clerk; I trust the size suggestion, no matter how different it is from what I think it should be. Those gals are trained very well and , ladies, if you haven't done it yet, treat yourself. Their selections are not inexpensive ($90 +) but the quality makes up for it, so if I don't change weight and need a new size bra, I can get a few years from one of them.

Sizing can be done at home yourself also; here's a link https://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html

The eye opening tip I learned years ago was this:
The cup size DECREASES as the bust size INCREASES. Because, the breast itself gets stretched out across the increased girth. and just the opposite is : Lose bust girth, increase cup size.

I think I was in my 40's the first time I had a bra fitting. That was when I learned that the bra size I'd worn since high school days was seriously not even close to what fit correctly. (can you say "back rolls, begone!!!"?).

Motivation for me come from a bunch of places, one of which is the image in my mirror when I stand there assessing my appearance before heading to the office, or where-ever.

And that's all I've got on this topic; hope some of you found it useful.

Cheerios and good fitness to us all!

Replies

• ChristineE63
    ChristineE63 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you for saying this, I keep buying ill fitting bras, Ill go get measured.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    There is just about nothing more comfortable and appearance enhancing than a bra that fits, and, I'm sure I'm not alone in experiencing the changes in bust size during weight changes.

The first new piece of clothing I purchase after weight loss, or gain, is a bra.

I usually go to Nordstroms and get measured by the lingerie clerk; I trust the size suggestion, no matter how different it is from what I think it should be. Those gals are trained very well and , ladies, if you haven't done it yet, treat yourself. Their selections are not inexpensive ($90 +) but the quality makes up for it, so if I don't change weight and need a new size bra, I can get a few years from one of them.

Sizing can be done at home yourself also; here's a link https://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html

The cup size DECREASES as the bust (do you mean band size here?) size INCREASES. Because, the breast itself gets stretched out across the increased girth. and just the opposite is : Lose bust (again, did you mean band size here?) girth, increase cup size.

I think I was in my 40's the first time I had a bra fitting. That was when I learned that the bra size I'd worn since high school days was seriously not even close to what fit correctly. (can you say "back rolls, begone!!!"?).

Motivation for me come from a bunch of places, one of which is the image in my mirror when I stand there assessing my appearance before heading to the office, or where-ever.

See italic insert questions in your original post @amy19355. Could you clarify please?

Another thing to take into consideration, not all makes or styles give you the same fitting.

I own perfectly fitting bras of the same style but different makes, some USA, some Canadian, some U.K sourced and made in a wide variety of countries.

My sizes are:- 30B, 30C, 32B, 32D, and 34C
    And 2 exactly the same make and style, but made in different countries are 32B, and 32D.

Cheers, h.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

The cup size DECREASES as the bust (do you mean band size here?) size INCREASES. Because, the breast itself gets stretched out across the increased girth. and just the opposite is : Lose bust (again, did you mean band size here?) girth, increase cup size.

See italic insert questions in your original post @amy19355. Could you clarify please?

Another thing to take into consideration, not all makes or styles give you the same fitting.

I own perfectly fitting bras of the same style but different makes, some USA, some Canadian, some U.K sourced and made in a wide variety of countries.

And 2 exactly the same make and style, but made in different countries are 32B, and 32D.

Cheers, h.

I can guess that girth is equal to
    Band size. I will clarify this way:

32 or 34 is the measurement taken under the breasts.
    Across the breasts determines cup size.

So, starting with 32C size - if you move up to a 34, the cup size goes to an B.
    Conversely if you go from 36D down to 34, the cup
    Changes to C.

I agree about manufacturer differences and I don’t buy bras online. I try them all on, even from the same maker and in same style but different color. Always a risk of difference.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Thanks,
    your description clarifies that you are meaning the under bust/breast (band or rib cage) measurement, not bust or bust girth.
    Makes much more sense.

Cheers, h.
    (Ex bra fitter for major UK chain store)
  • amy19355
    Options

Cheers, h.

Changes to C.

I agree about manufacturer differences and I don’t buy bras online. I try them all on, even from the same maker and in same style but different color. Always a risk of difference.

That’s not entirely correct.. just saying 😂👍

Well, you could offer the help to correct what isn’t.
    I’m willing to be shown where I’m wrong but I don’t feel like guessing which part of that post you find lacking in accuracy.
    ...just saying. [emoticon emoticon]
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You need a good measuring and fit service. I used Rigby and Peller in London. Once you have the correct measurement they will advice on bra type then you are free to go purchase those bra's from wherever you chose.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    You need a good measuring and fit service. I used Rigby and Peller in London. Once you have the correct measurement they will advice on bra type then you are free to go purchase those bra's from wherever you chose.

Both my sisters use Rigby and Peller and love their visits. One day when I am over visiting I will get there, I just keep getting distracted.

Cheers, h.
  • amy19355
    Options

Cheers, h.

Changes to C.

I’m willing to be shown where I’m wrong but I don’t feel like guessing which part of that post you find lacking in accuracy.

It’s simple, just measure under your bust and that’s the number and the letter is the cup size , the fullness of your breast when lifted by the bra , cause let’s admit some are small in fullness (and measurements) when swinging free eh ?
    The way store bra fitters do measurements is not accurate

ok i'm totally missing something. help me here.

there is no difference that I can find between the meaning of the words BREAST and BUST.
    both of us are saying to measure UNDER the breast/bust to get the size number.

i don't think either of us has addressed the how to measure to get the cup size.

the point of this thread was the benefit of a well fitted bra, and my positive experiences with lingerie clerks doing the measuring.

If there is something incorrect about the way store fitters do the measurements, why don't you share the details?

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

Changes to C.

It’s simple, just measure under your bust and that’s the number and the letter is the cup size , the fullness of your breast when lifted by the bra , cause let’s admit some are small in fullness (and measurements) when swinging free eh ?
    The way store bra fitters do measurements is not accurate

ok i'm totally missing something. help me here.

there is no difference that I can find between the meaning of the words BREAST and BUST.
    both of us are saying to measure UNDER the breast/bust to get the size number.

i don't think either of us has addressed the how to measure to get the cup size.

the point of this thread was the benefit of a well fitted bra, and my positive experiences with lingerie clerks doing the measuring.

If there is something incorrect about the way store fitters do the measurements, why don't you share the details?

Just what I was told via Mom and online websites: bust measurement (when standing with arms hanging down [good luck with that by yourself] across the widest or fullest part of boobies) minus under bust measurement equals your cup size.

Me as an example: bust size 34" (technically 33.5), under bust 31", so 34-31=3. 1" is cup A; 2" is cup B; 3" cup C, larger than D I get lost.

Sadly, I have a common bra size so I always have to use a sister size. Right now, I'm wearing WonderBras which are working good.
  • 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,875 Member
    Options
    So much useful information here! I have recently lost about 20 pounds and have recently started noticing that my bras are not fitting well at all. I have a few, some front-clasp and others traditional back-clasp. They're all loose and not giving me the support I need for my boobies :D I have a plan to go into the nearest department store this weekend and treat myself to a fitting and some properly fitting bras. You're all right - the right bra makes all the difference!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I also recommend reddit.com/r/abrathatfits for assistance in fitting and recommendations on where to buy. It was especially helpful for me because I live in an area where there are no good fitters (no lingerie shops or Nordstrom), and Victoria's Secret is useless because they don't carry my size (36G). I learned a lot about my breast size there!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My experience losing weight is that one of my breasts got visibly smaller than the other so I looked lopsided even with a bra and clothes on. Looking online I saw a tip of making the strap shorter on that smaller side and it helped things appear more even.
    I do not have a store that does bra fittings anywhere near me so used a bunch of online calculators and got very different numbers and letters. Really frustrating. I measured myself every possible way. I measured bras. Found that sizes labeled the same but of different brands were not the same. I read articles about women having professional bra fittings done and it really seemed that you got as good of a starting point as a free calculator and then just needed to try things on until you found the right fit. I ordered one less expensive bra in the size I thought might fit best and it worked out. I think it was lucky to get it the first try.
    I'd say if you are bra shopping when your size has changed just be prepared to try things on and not get stuck on what size you think you should be.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm far from an expert, but can speak from personal experience. I recommend getting measured by a place that knows what they are doing AND trying them on. When I go in to Victoria's Secret (by far my favorite bras so far), they measure me at a 38DD. When I try that size on, it's simply wrong. My boobs are floating around in space and the band is much too loose. I am very much a 36D and they agree when they see it on (I let them come in and see/check the fit with me). The sizes also tend to be different in the same store depending on the bra type or style for me.

Funny side note for me: As I lose weight, it looks to me like my boobs are getting smaller. They have that deflated balloon look to them like they lost water or something. :wink: But like stated somewhere above, I don't lose any cup size. I recently went from a 38C to a 36D. Which is supposed to be about the same size in the bra world, but both fit me entirely differently! :smile: