Oatmeal substitute

Options
Hi guys,

Do you know any healthy substitute of oatmeal I tried it and do not like it at all but I read everywhere that’s one of the best breakfast.

Cheers

Replies

• nicoleseph0321
    nicoleseph0321 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think people say it’s the best breakfast because they like the versatility of it and it keeps you full for a long time. So really anything that you like and that satisfies you will do the same thing! I personally love corn grits with an egg, or cream of wheat with a little honey if I’m feeling a little tired of oatmeal. You still get that “cozy” hot cereal feeling :)
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Did you try steal cut oats? They are bigger pieces so it isn’t as mushy . Also add some brown sugar ( Splenda?) and berries.

It has too many carbs for me so I drink a chocolate protein shake with berries in it , yummy 🌸
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Corn grits is my alternate hot cereal. I like it with butter, salt and a couple over easy eggs stirred in.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you like to eat and what your calorie allowance is. I eat cold cereal most days. Some days eggs and an English muffin. Occasionally pancakes or French toast. I love just about every breakfast.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you want to try a different hot cereal you can try cream of wheat or Red River cereal. But I suspect the warm mushy texture is unappealing to you.

Oatmeal is touted because of the high soluble fiber content. It’s considered heart healthy.

Chia is similarly high in soluble fiber. Try it soaked in milk overnight.

Or you can try the different texture of overnight oats. Soak it overnight in yogurt and add a little frozen fruit.

Sweeten as desired.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    Corn grits is my alternate hot cereal. I like it with butter, salt and a couple over easy eggs stirred in.

I need to try it because I don't like oatmeal too much either; besides, it doesn't satisfy me for long period of time, and it also screws-up my daily carb count.
    My husband makes breakfast in the morning and it is either English muffin or a waffle with ham and cheese, or sometimes an over-easy egg. But once in awhile I make oatmeal for a change. He likes it, me not so much :s
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it because you don't like sweet breakfasts savory oatmeal is really good. I'll mix in some soy sauce, a little cheese and top it with salsa and a fried egg. You can also do this with grits.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Cream of wheat, wheatena, quinoa, grits, Google hot breakfast cereals. Not sure why you don't like it and what type of substitute you want.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Bulgar wheat is my current go-to. But any grain left over from the night before, heated, with berries and greek yogurt is good if I am wanting a hot cereal.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,886 Member
    Options
    Lamia2777 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Do you know any healthy substitute of oatmeal I tried it and do not like it at all but I read everywhere that’s one of the best breakfast.

Cheers

its one of a billion breakfast ideas... its not the best for anything.

And personally, I chose to not eat breakfast on weekdays. :) It works for me.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Cereal, cream of wheat, or grits.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    There's no particular reason to eat oats for breakfast. I like them and eat them sometimes, but I don't think they are any healthier than any other breakfast I eat (and I eat eggs more often). What do you like for breakfast (assuming you like to eat breakfast).
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I buy low cal bagels (140 each) with some light cream cheese. Another is the Ocean's tuna snack kit (the one with rice crackers) it's 145 calories. My third favorite is 4 finn crisp crackers with light smoked salmon cream cheese. I also love a grainy bread toasted with peanut butter but you have to be careful not to overdo the PB. If you are good at preprepping you can boil a bunch of hard boiled eggs and grab and go. Two large eggs is 140 calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    One of the very few good things about being an adult is that I can eat whatever I want at any time I want to.

The other morning I had shrimp and grits with a side salad for breakfast.

Homemade Egg McMuffin-ish thing and oven roasted potatoes for dinner.

Some days I'll have spaghetti for breakfast. :)
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    amy19355 wrote: »

I need to try it because I don't like oatmeal too much either; besides, it doesn't satisfy me for long period of time, and it also screws-up my daily carb count.
    My husband makes breakfast in the morning and it is either English muffin or a waffle with ham and cheese, or sometimes an over-easy egg. But once in awhile I make oatmeal for a change. He likes it, me not so much :s

I found that the addition of fats is what makes hot cereal stick to my ribs for a long time.
    over easy eggs, or, whole fat yogurt, or , coconut flakes. are some examples.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eat any food you do like that helps you meet your goals.
    I prefer eating things like a sandwich, fruit, dinner leftovers, a granola bar, vegetables, yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast. I think soup is a great hot breakfast.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    One of the very few good things about being an adult is that I can eat whatever I want at any time I want to.

The other morning I had shrimp and grits with a side salad for breakfast.

Homemade Egg McMuffin-ish thing and oven roasted potatoes for dinner.

Some days I'll have spaghetti for breakfast. :)

this! had stouffer's mac and cheese today - delicious!