Why can't I stop eating rubbish?

Options
Am I lacking in something ? Or is it just a mental thing? Every time I tell myself that I'm going to be eating more healthier, I start to crave sugary things.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you like fruit?
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    What foods do you call rubbish?
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Am I lacking in something ? Or is it just a mental thing? Every time I tell myself that I'm going to be eating more healthier, I start to crave sugary things.

I had good success with planning my meals to be balanced across my macro needs. (some of each fat, carb, protein).

if I have a meal that is heavy on one of the macro groups, I'm more likely to find myself craving a something or other within an hour.

That's my experience; I've read many different posts answering this kind of question, and there are a lot of different tricks people use to help themselves.

it's really an individual solution, although it can certainly look alot like what worked for someone else.
    Nothing works in a single day, and most habit changes can take a month or more to settle in.

good luck to you!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Can you create some structure? What works for me is to get into the habit of only eating at mealtimes (however that is defined for you), and once I'm used to that I stop really thinking about in between meal snacks (if I want to eat I just remind myself that it's coming up whenever). I also save a little room for an after dinner treat of some sort, and eat it pretty soon after dinner, as not being hungry I am less likely to overindulge. If there are foods that are harder to control than others, I'd take a break from them for a while and not have them in the house, if possible.

What doesn't work for me, especially if I'm just getting back into watching what I eat (or just starting out) is to grab a pint of ice cream and tell myself I will just have a little. If I measure out a small amount and put it away, and tell myself if I want more there's tomorrow, then it works. Similarly, if there is food out at work (peanut m&ms or actually good baked goods which sometimes are there), I generally don't start eating it since I know I'll be going past all the time and want more. I especially don't if I'm hungry -- if I decide to have a little of something special I do it right after lunch and log it.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What do you consider rubbish, and what do you consider healthy? Your issue may be that you are two narrowly defining what "healthy" is. There's a lot more out there that's healthy than kale and quinoa salads. You can have rich, flavorful meals that still meet your calorie targets and have balanced nutrition. You shouldn't have to sacrifice your taste buds to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Eating sugary things leads me to wanting to eat more sugary things. I get around that craving by eating a piece of fruit as dessert and by eating enough in general.

If I have a well-balanced meal twice a day I am less likely to crave sweet things. I make sure to get enough protein, fats and vegetables.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Falling in line right behind you. This time of year is always difficult to fight cravings because the temptation is everywhere.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Eating sugary things leads me to wanting to eat more sugary things. I get around that craving by eating a piece of fruit as dessert and by eating enough in general.

If I have a well-balanced meal twice a day I am less likely to crave sweet things. I make sure to get enough protein, fats and vegetables.

Yup, my sugar cravings went away when I upped fruit and focused on getting more protein. (Getting enough fat has never been an issue for me.)

I think my brain misinterprets "more protein" as "more sugar" so I can eat and eat and eat sugary foods and never feel satisfied, because what I really want is protein.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Visiting my mother for the weekend.
    Stocks up on ice cream, cookies, cheeses chips... 🐖been here less than 24 hours and my MFP log is at like -1500 for day already 🤦‍♂️
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You don't have to eat ALL clean, healthy, perfect food to be healthy. Make sure you get plenty of whatever foods you consider "healthy", and then fit in a treat. If you eat great all day and have a couple of chocolates after dinner, the chocolate doesn't somehow erase all the nutrition you ate all day.

Set goals for yourself for the good stuff you want to eat more of, and then fill in the remaining calories with stuff that just makes you happy. That's healthy too!
    Or as Eric Helms says, "Once our nutritional needs are met, we don't get extra credit for consuming more nutritious food". ;)

Very true, but for people on lower calorie diets, the calories needed to meet nutritional needs take up a larger % of total calories. There may still be some calories left for "low nutrient/less nutritious foods" but maybe not as many as some people would hope for.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people are not fond of them, but I really like standbys like Halo Top, Fibre One Brownies, Quest Bars etc as a healthier fallback. My sweet tooth is probably never going away, but I can at least ameliorate it with replacements like these.