Exercise routine for bad back

Options
Hello all, I used to follow Power 90 program from Beachbody about 5 years ago and had great success, but then I developed 2 herniated discs in my lower back and 2 bulging discs in my upper neck. Every time I try to exercise to Power 90, my back and my neck start to hurt and I stop exercising. Then it takes me several weeks just to go back to "normal" again.

I like the idea of exercising at home. I'm looking for something similar to Power 90 routine, but with less impact, so someone with bad back can exercise to it. Does such program exist?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I used to follow Power 90 program from Beachbody about 5 years ago and had great success, but then I developed 2 herniated discs in my lower back and 2 bulging discs in my upper neck. Every time I try to exercise to Power 90, my back and my neck start to hurt and I stop exercising. Then it takes me several weeks just to go back to "normal" again.

I like the idea of exercising at home. I'm looking for something similar to Power 90 routine, but with less impact, so someone with bad back can exercise to it. Does such program exist?

Thanks in advance.

I am surprised that you don't have a list of suggested exercises that came from the doctor who diagnosed the condition, or from the Physical Therapist who might have worked with you after the diagnosis.

Pain is a signal from our bodies to stop and pay attention to find out the cause. I'd urge you to be strictly objective when you assess the pain - is it just muscle pain from working out, or, is it pain from nerves that are being aggravated during the routine?

If it were me in your shoes, I'd be reluctant to push through unusual/new/not-sure-of-cause pain without revisitng the doctor or physical therapist for a review.

good luck to you!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You really should check with a physical therapist for your particular issue. Physical therapy is the single best treatment for your issues and they will know what exercises you can do with your particular limitations. My husband had to go to go specifically to a sports therapists in order to get proper advice, due to his fitness level relative to most folks with disc issues.
  • resale3108
    resale3108 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    YOGA!!! Protects the back at the same time as treating it. I swear by it.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hatha yoga for 15 minutes each morning was what my physio suggested.

Almost 10 years later and I still do it daily.
  • wfrance16
    wfrance16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    keep moving even if its just walking