Working out after donating blood

Options
Yesterday I donated blood at work. I was still scheduled for an evening class since there was a good chance they wouldn't be able to get blood. (The last two times I donated blood they had to throw out the kit after moving the needle around a lot in both arms.) Perfect hit on the first try and filled the bag nicely. Since my class was 10 hours later and there was a fee for cancelling, I decided to go ahead and workout. I spent the day hydrating and made sure I had a good meal beforehand.

I told the instructor it would be a blue/green zone day and I was just going to take it easy and not push myself. We talked through the weight training exercises and how I would do modified versions so my head would never be parallel or below my heart.

I actually had a great class. While my pace was slower, I could keep up with the inclines on the treadmill. I kept trying to take it easy, but I felt fine and with the accelerated heart rate, I still got 16 splat points and at least once went into the red (90% or greater of max heart rate). I rowed 1,873 meters with no problem. Weight training also went pretty well, I just made sure I went slightly lighter in my weights so I wouldn't open up the puncture. I modified/replaced the dead-lifts and hip hinge reverse flys and skipped the hip bridge entirely.

I didn't feel a thing until it was time to stretch and I got up a bit too fast. Dizzy for a second but I leaned against the wall and was fine again.

So with an n=1, I'm not sure why so many resources say "don't exercise 24 hours after donating blood". (The Mayo Clinic just says 5 hours.) I wouldn't have been setting any personal records during that time, but I got a good workout. The weirdest thing was my legs and arms going "come on we got this, up your pace" and my brain looking at the screen going "no, drop your pace, look at your heart rate, play it safe". Usually it's the opposite.

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    Yesterday I donated blood at work. I was still scheduled for an evening class since there was a good chance they wouldn't be able to get blood. (The last two times I donated blood they had to throw out the kit after moving the needle around a lot in both arms.) Perfect hit on the first try and filled the bag nicely. Since my class was 10 hours later and there was a fee for cancelling, I decided to go ahead and workout. I spent the day hydrating and made sure I had a good meal beforehand.

I told the instructor it would be a blue/green zone day and I was just going to take it easy and not push myself. We talked through the weight training exercises and how I would do modified versions so my head would never be parallel or below my heart.

I actually had a great class. While my pace was slower, I could keep up with the inclines on the treadmill. I kept trying to take it easy, but I felt fine and with the accelerated heart rate, I still got 16 splat points and at least once went into the red (90% or greater of max heart rate). I rowed 1,873 meters with no problem. Weight training also went pretty well, I just made sure I went slightly lighter in my weights so I wouldn't open up the puncture. I modified/replaced the dead-lifts and hip hinge reverse flys and skipped the hip bridge entirely.

I didn't feel a thing until it was time to stretch and I got up a bit too fast. Dizzy for a second but I leaned against the wall and was fine again.

So with an n=1, I'm not sure why so many resources say "don't exercise 24 hours after donating blood". (The Mayo Clinic just says 5 hours.) I wouldn't have been setting any personal records during that time, but I got a good workout. The weirdest thing was my legs and arms going "come on we got this, up your pace" and my brain looking at the screen going "no, drop your pace, look at your heart rate, play it safe". Usually it's the opposite.

I donated blood most of my life, and in my opinion they are taking the cautious approach. Especially if you don't hydrate properly you can have dizzy (or even fainting) spells hours after donation.

I generally never had problems like that (I was usually careful with hydration and food), but one time I donated in the morning, went to a pasta place for dinner and ended up face-down in a plate of spaghetti. :o
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm a blood donor and a exerciser and I agree with @mph323 , they're just exercising caution. My experience is that if I'm going into the donation well hydrated and stay that way afterwards, I have no problem exercising within the first 24 hours of giving blood.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Yep they don't want the liability of someone pushes themselves too hard and has an issue.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You deplete your blood volume when you donate and it takes time for build up again. They have to give conservative advice and we should not criticize for that. What do you want them to say, you can work out but you could pass out?! They don't know your body.
    But if you felt dizzy or weak, that's the medical reason.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have a hard time running my normal pace after blood draws and donation. i didn't even think about it until someone asked if i hadn't done the company sponsored blood donation
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I donate platelets these days. Usually an early Sunday morning appointment. I make sure to eat and hydrate all day and often do a brisk walk in the afternoon. Good to hear about other's experiences with this situation.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You deplete your blood volume when you donate and it takes time for build up again. They have to give conservative advice and we should not criticize for that. What do you want them to say, you can work out but you could pass out?! They don't know your body.

Instead of a blanket "24 hours" giving a nuanced answer. For example: wait at least five hours before exercising, do not exercise alone, eat beforehand and drink more water than usual, have a snack with you, reduce your pace/expectations, etc.

The advice isn't the same across websites/sources. Some even said don't work out in the 24 hours before a donation as well. That could discourage people from donating if they think they have to abstain from exercise for two days.

The advice I got on drinking alcohol after donating was more nuanced. Please wait X hours before drinking. We recommend eating a full meal before you have anything alcoholic to drink or you risk passing out or being ill.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I usually workout first, then eat and hydrate, before donating. I have low BP anyway, so it's very low after a donation. I had to take it easy after the last one. My BP was barely over the lower limit before the draw and then I felt low all day after.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

Instead of a blanket "24 hours" giving a nuanced answer. For example: wait at least five hours before exercising, do not exercise alone, eat beforehand and drink more water than usual, have a snack with you, reduce your pace/expectations, etc.

The advice isn't the same across websites/sources. Some even said don't work out in the 24 hours before a donation as well. That could discourage people from donating if they think they have to abstain from exercise for two days.

The advice I got on drinking alcohol after donating was more nuanced. Please wait X hours before drinking. We recommend eating a full meal before you have anything alcoholic to drink or you risk passing out or being ill.

Different organizations have different risk aversion and legal guidelines. They are trying to protect as many people as possible, while covering themselves legally as well. Expecting the nurse who does the donation to give a personalized answer puts all responsibility on that person should their judgement be wrong or something unpredictable happening. As for having more "nuanced" written instructions given to all, lots of people aren't capable of navigating nuance. That's why there are warning labels not to drink strawberry scented shampoo.

Most people have no idea how much weight they might be able to lift without reopening the puncture. I have low blood volume and pressure, and I get lightheaded easily for around 12 or so hours after donating. My brother once reopened the vein several hours after donating by picking up my nephew and had to go to urgent care with his arm swelling with blood. Anyone relatively new to donating will probably have no idea of their blood volume or how soon their BP and volume will normalize. All it takes is one person passing out at the gym and hitting their head and a lawsuit to follow to ruin everything.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    General recommendations are always on the safe side of things. It's always going to be the high end estimate that will cover almost everybody. Donating blood can affect some more than others, and some people may need more time to replenish the fluids loss from blood donation. For example my wife suffers from PCOS so when she gave blood recently it knocked her out pretty good for most of the rest of the day. Working out would have been a big no no. However everyone's body is different, and many may be able to workout fine.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    My large uterine fibroids cause very heavy menstrual bleeding, and I have problems walking up stairs, let alone working out, for a few days.

I'm anemic so do not donate blood. Thanks to those of you who do!
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    As I get older, I especially have to hydrate and eat before and after. In my younger years I could do anything before and after. Not anymore.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My large uterine fibroids cause very heavy menstrual bleeding, and I have problems walking up stairs, let alone working out, for a few days.

I'm anemic so do not donate blood. Thanks to those of you who do!

I've been there, it's not fun. Had my uterus removed since I was done having babies. Best decision of my life. I wish you well.