Slow sucess

Options
I have been counting calories for 9 days, 1200 each day, give or take a few. I have only lost 1 lb. Usually I loose a good 5 pounds when I first start due to water weight, not this time. It's happening very slow for me, but I have to start loosing more, right???

Replies

• trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    yes check out your sodium levels and up your water that should help!
  • bobball
    bobball Posts: 57
    Options
    Not knowing what your daily BMI is supposed to be, it sounds like your food intake needs to be tweaked. This is not an exact science...it's a good guess and everyone's body is different.

1 pound a week is actually quite healty, so if you said 2 pounds, I'd say you were right on track, but youare correct it is a litle slow.

But, you may not have to adjust much, here is what I would do if I were you. You should be eating just under (by 200 to 300 calories) the number listed on your page as your max calories. Any LESS than that and your body metabolism slows to a craw. On the other end of the spectrum, Doctors say losing more than 3 pounds a week (unless you are severely obese) is too much because it usually means you are losing muscle along with and fat and the goal is to just lose fat.

Slow is good if you are losing, Since you are losing a little, you just need to slightly change what you are doing.

1. Your body is probably in starvation mode (slow metabolism) because you are eating too little. Eat more, and more often. For instance, eat good healthy food for breakfast, then a snack mid-morning , a smart lunch, a snack at in the afternoon and a sensible dinner, and don't eat after 6:30pm if possible. Try not to intake sugary foods, they are a waste of your calories, because you get no real nutrition out of them. This WILL rev up your metabolism to burn fat.

2. Do some sort of physical activity every day if possible, go for a walk if you are too tired to go to the gym...and walk quickly. For instance, my metbolism is very efficient and I have a desk job. if I don't do some sort of activity almost every day, my body doesn't burn much> I like food and I'd like to eat it so I move, take a walk, do pushups, situps even on my off days so I burn more calories.

Don't get discouraged already, you just are learning what your number should be. Then when you start to get into better shape you will have to tweak it again and again to adjust to how your body has changed. This is a long term learning experience, once you do this for a while it becomes a habit instead of a diet, so you can keep the weight off and enjoy life to the fullest!

Bob
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. I lost 5 pounds the first week, but, like you suggested, it was probably water. Now my weight loss has really slowed down. But, I have stuck with the program, and now it is second nature for me to eat what I am supposed to. Also, my cravings for sweets has really changed, I don't need the whole bag of candy now, I can eat one piece and be satisfied. So, even though it is slow, it is progressing. Good luck and keep with it.