Beginners easy to make meals???

StevieRae1988
StevieRae1988 Posts: 2 Member
Looking for ideas on simple meals to make for brkfst, lunch, and dinner!!!! This is my first time really dieting and I need help!

Replies

• OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Well, one of the best ways to keep it simple is to get a list of things and quantities fitting your needs. Perhaps sharing with us what MFP says your caloric intake should be could help us help you :)
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Are you trying to lose weight?
    If so, all you need to do is create a Calorie deficit.. calories in / calories out.
    There's no need for special diets for weight loss( unless you have a medical condition and your doctor advised you to do so)
    All you need to do is create a Calorie deficit.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    What do you eat now? Can you eat less of that?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    One thing to try is just tracking the food you eat right now for a week without changing anything. Then you can look at your diet and see what works and doesn't work. Some foods you have been thinking of as "bad" may not be so bad after all, while there may be simple solutions to other meals, such as eating less cheese or mayo on a sandwich or cutting out drinks. You can also see if there are foods you could eat more of - for example, if I don't plan ahead I almost never eat fruit, and eat sweets instead. Making sure I have fruit helps me avoid sweets. Everyone is different!

Some of my favorite easy meal components include oven roasted chicken thighs in Wicker's marinade, pork loin (roast a whole one and use for sandwiches and stir fry for a whole week), roasted vegetables, canned and steam bags of veggies, and boxed salads. I like Greek yogurt with fresh berries and dark chocolate for dessert, and cottage cheese or tuna for a quick protein snack. Breakfast is usually oatmeal with nut butter, yogurt and fruit.
  • StevieRae1988
    StevieRae1988 Posts: 2 Member
    Ty. And my cal intake goal is set at 1570
  • phoebe112476
    phoebe112476 Posts: 269 Member
    Skinnytaste has some good recipes focused on lower calories, but I agree that starting out I would just try to eat less or what you always eat. Make slow changes for long lasting results. I love meal plans to keep my family organized. I use emeals and enjoy the recipes - but I was using this for at least two years before I started tracking with intent to maintain a deficit. Others have liked platejoy for meal planning - if you think meal plans might help. Best of luck.
  • MaikeO1977
    MaikeO1977 Posts: 13 Member
    Ty. And my cal intake goal is set at 1570
    That’s not bad at all!

My general tips are:
    Cut down on starchy vegetables, increase bulk with nonstarchy vegetables; eat a protein with every snack or meal to curb hunger (doesn’t have to be much); increase fiber and water intake (many people don’t get enough of this); and cut out sweets and soda.
    Oh, and the occasional cheat meal or snack is fine! 😂 Don’t deprive yourself for the holidays but remember your portions...
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    I've cooked forever but it's my least favorite chore, so I keep things super basic. 90% of the home made meals I eat are baked protein (chicken breast takes 12 minutes to bake in my toaster oven), half a bag of frozen vegetables (get the kind with sauce and it flavors the chicken), and about 1/2 cup of frozen rice. Takes very little time, calories are easily calculated and it keeps for the week once assembled.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I've cooked forever but it's my least favorite chore, so I keep things super basic. 90% of the home made meals I eat are baked protein (chicken breast takes 12 minutes to bake in my toaster oven), half a bag of frozen vegetables (get the kind with sauce and it flavors the chicken), and about 1/2 cup of frozen rice. Takes very little time, calories are easily calculated and it keeps for the week once assembled.

This is basically what I do! Everything is super basic as I don't find it easy to make and log complicated recipes.

Breakfast:
    I have no time in the morning so I almost always grab something premade.
    Some kind of bar- KIND bars, Protein bar, Nutrigrain bar
    Boiled Eggs (I buy the ones that are already hard boiled)

Lunch:
    Leftovers, wraps, salads...

Dinner:
    Protein: 95% of the time I'm grilling or baking chicken, lean pork, or turkey burger.
    Veggies: Steamfresh frozen bags, roasting or sauteing fresh veggies (zucchini, squash, carrots, broccoli...), or canned!
    Starch: I buy the boil in a bag brown rice or the steam in a bag potatoes and just add seasoning :smiley:

This is a really good way to start out because you're not having to input a crazy recipe with tons of ingredients- you just weigh everything separately and log it. Just be sure to log any oil or butter because this adds up VERY quickly and I learned this the hard way :weary: !