Sleep or exercise?

Options
_nikkiwolf_
_nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
edited November 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
If you have to choose between getting enough sleep or exercise, which is your priority?

Usually I manage both (for me that's 3+ runs and 3+ strength workouts per week, 7.5h sleep per night). But every couple of months there will be an insanely crazy week at work, where it just doesn't work. Like this week. So far, since Monday I only managed one short run and one 20min workout video. And it's not a question of "wasting time on social media" or "making excuses", it's really just work, go home and chose between sleep right away or exersise first.
Last night I was torn between finally getting (nearly) enough sleep, or doing my scheduled 40min strength workout. I chose sleep, thinking that Friday afternoon & weekend I will finally have free time for exercising again, but I still feel bad about skipping yet another workout this week...

So, just out of curiosity, what would people here have done? "No excuses, do your scheduled workouts", or prioritise getting some rest, if the days before you already didn't get enough sleep?

E.t.a.: sleep log of the week I was talking about:
gfcx8od0r4je.jpg

Replies

• Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible and always sacrifice sleep.

I'm not convinced I make the right choice. I'm just glad it's only every 2 months or so I get a week like that.

I have one coming up. After today I will be working right through until Thursday. Some of those days I'll be working from 6am (Up at 5am) Until midnight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Enough sleep is important for my goals, but that being said when my son was born I slept horribly for over a year and had no choice but to choose exercise over more sleep. I guess the few hours of broken up sleep I had were enough for me.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I find if I have been sleeping quite bad my workouts suffer and I don't get the best from them, my food intake always suffers too but I have had long term sleep issues, so that's a different story to what you're dealing

If it's only once every couple of month's due to a busy time at work then just try and do the best you can that week. 1 or 2 workouts dropped or a little less sleep isn't going to do any long term damage.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    In that situation I would mostly choose exercise, but might look for a balance rather than all or nothing. You can maintain fitness and strength levels on a far lower volume than when you are seeking to improve. I've seen people suggest that just a third of the volume may be enough not to slip backwards but my personal experience felt more like two thirds.

Exercise also de-stresses me and helps me sleep better too, even if the total hours for sleep are reduced.

I can (and have) managed perfectly well on less than optimal sleep but in periods of high stress / high workload / little spare time I've always found exercise a help and not a hindrance.

It was only when it got a very prolonged period of dreadful sleep and no time for exercise that all aspects of my health actually suffered. One crazy week every couple of months I don't see as a big issue whichever choice you make.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    What is that sleep log?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Sleep usually. I work out in the mornings but if I went to bed late or didn’t sleep well I will skip my workout and sleep in another hour and a half. But sometimes I will still do my workout in the evenings, sometimes I won’t. Depends if I have time.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sleep, because being tired causes me to overeat. But I mean really tired. My job is active, 12 hour shifts and I’m in school and have three kids. 6 hours of sleep I can work out but 4 or less I cannot, because I will definitely overcompensate with food.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This is not exactly what you're asking but sometimes, when I'm really tired, my alarm goes off and I turn it off without realizing it. Many times I wake up 30 min later and have lost half my stretching-aerobic routine that I do before going swimming or to the gym. I lay there and say to myself "you're overtired, just let it go and sleep another 30 min",but I know I probably won't sleep well anyway, so I get up and do half my routine. Where I usually do 25 reps--I do 12, where I do 65 reps--I do 35. I do everything, but just cut it in half. This works very well for me and just might help someone else.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    After 3 kids and intermittent insomnia throughout the years, I’ve learned to function on little to no sleep. It’s not ideal, and it’s not every night, but I pretty much always choose the workout.
    I get up at 5ish and as long as I’m asleep by 12, I make it work.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Sleep for me. I'm in bed by 9-930 every night.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Training has more leverage for my health and quality of life so I have always leaned that way. That doesn't mean, I haven't adjusted my programming for sleep, just that I find a way to get my training in.

I probably averaged 4-5 hours of sleep a night for over 10 years & only missed training during the major surgeries.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sleep.

To keep this from being an either-or proposition I would squeeze in exercise during work, like doing some stair runs during lunch.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What is that sleep log?
    @Machka9 SleepAsAndroid . I wrote about it already in reply to your question here , I guess you didn't see it :wink:

---

Thanks everyone for the replies and the different perspectives. It's impressive how many of you still exercise without enough sleep!
    I guess as long as it's just one week every now and then, it does not matter too much either way. I still got between 12,000 - 15,000 steps each day earlier this week, so it's not like I'm completely sedentary when I don't exercise, but it's just not the same... Happy that the weekend starts now, I'm about to finally do my scheduled upper body strength training now, followed by 8 hours of sleep :smiley:
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Sleep. I am not functional with less than 7 or 8 hours. I am also completely unapologetic about my sleep needs.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think most of us who exercise regularly and have it as a meaningful part of our lifestyle tend to shortchange recovery more than we do workouts.
    For that reason, I'd vote for sleep.
    Course, I probably would not take my own advice.
    Plus, it seems I read more and more about the often overlooked, and not previously appreciated, benefits of sleep. It helps with muscle recovery. Too little sleep impairs testosterone (or other hormone) levels. And, recently, they have decided that not getting enough sleep may be associated with a greater risk of Alzheimer.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What is that sleep log?
    @Machka9 SleepAsAndroid . I wrote about it already in reply to your question here , I guess you didn't see it :wink:

---

Thanks everyone for the replies and the different perspectives. It's impressive how many of you still exercise without enough sleep!
    I guess as long as it's just one week every now and then, it does not matter too much either way. I still got between 12,000 - 15,000 steps each day earlier this week, so it's not like I'm completely sedentary when I don't exercise, but it's just not the same... Happy that the weekend starts now, I'm about to finally do my scheduled upper body strength training now, followed by 8 hours of sleep :smiley:

Thanks! :)

And from the look of your stats, you only missed a full night's sleep on one night when you got just shy of 5 hours of sleep. Thursday night? If that's the case, I would probably just walk on the Friday.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I do not function well without enough sleep so sleep typically wins out.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I understand the feeling at times.
    For me it helps if I know when these weeks happen and I work my workout schedule around it.
    Personally I would go for sleep but that is because I know that I really do not function well otherwise. That said I do try to make up with a short walk still then Just to clear my mind before going to bed
  • ClaireEZ2
    ClaireEZ2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be in a car with a driver who got enough sleep than in a car with a driver who sacrificed getting enough sleep to get a workout in. If you exercise consistently, one week every couple of months where you only get in two workouts isn't going to derail your fitness goals. Not getting enough sleep though is quickly debilitating on cognitive abilities, leaving you more likely to perform poorly at work, behind the wheel, etc. It makes most people grumpy too, and you add work stress on top of that, and that will have an impact on personal relationships.