Overall 'what do I do' post!

Options
Ive been on Keto a long time, off and on when needed, I've lost 3 stone on it, and ive just transitioned off due to it being very expensive, as if you don't have the time to hand make stuff, you're limited for food.

Ive just started using the mfp app to track my foods, however, I'm not entirely sure, now im off keto, what im meant to eat to lose weight?
I can tell you endless foods I used to lose weight, and well, but I just can't seem to find anywhere that says what kinds of foods you can eat to lose weight using mfp, that aren't these huge meals requiring lots of different veg and ingredients. I don't have the time, I don't like to cook, but I just want eat and get it over with.

if anyone could help suggest things to eat, links, or even anything else I would really appreciate it.
the key point in my post, is I don't want to have to buy 10 types of veg and meat and all that, just simple stuff I can make, freeze, get pre made etc.

thanks <3

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ive been on Keto a long time, off and on when needed, I've lost 3 stone on it, and ive just transitioned off due to it being very expensive, as if you don't have the time to hand make stuff, you're limited for food.

Ive just started using the mfp app to track my foods, however, I'm not entirely sure, now im off keto, what im meant to eat to lose weight?
    I can tell you endless foods I used to lose weight, and well, but I just can't seem to find anywhere that says what kinds of foods you can eat to lose weight using mfp, that aren't these huge meals requiring lots of different veg and ingredients. I don't have the time, I don't like to cook, but I just want eat and get it over with.

if anyone could help suggest things to eat, links, or even anything else I would really appreciate it.
    the key point in my post, is I don't want to have to buy 10 types of veg and meat and all that, just simple stuff I can make, freeze, get pre made etc.

thanks <3

eat whatever food you like eating, just in portion sizes that put you in a calorie deficit. its as simple as you make it TBH.

If you want some ideas then you could find some pals who eat the same number of calories for inspiration.
  • Bobble11
    Bobble11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Chicken nuggets, oven chips and beans is less that 500 calories. Lucky for me as that's my 6yo's favourite dinner.

Grilled chicken breast, boiled carrots, mashed potatoes
    Fishcake, green beans and chips
    Griddled steak, Aunt Bessie's frozen carrot & swede mash, boiled potatoes

All can be sub 500cal if you portion them correctly. All bung in oven, boil in pan, shove under grill that takes 20-30mins
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what they said. ^^

It just takes time to learn is all. I had to plug things into the FOOD page and look at the calories and macros for quite some time before I got good at knowing what would keep me full and still be within calories.

It's a big ole science-y experiment that you have to figure out. Portions, macros, satiety, convenience - it's all relevant. I have probably 20 different favorite meals that I can prepare within 15-20 minutes that are full of vegetables and have sufficient protein and fat.

Just work at it. :)
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of cooking--probably 75% of my meals follow a simple formula: baked chicken+frozen veg+brown rice or eggs+frozen veg+potatoes. I make half a dozen of each "formula" every week and that's what I eat. I go out with friends a few times a week and that gives me enough variety to tolerate the other days.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Eat foods you like in moderate portions, maybe start with the MFP defaults for Macros, log your food, keep track initially of days when you're hungrier or less hungry than normal to work out what combination of foods works for you.

My lunches tend to be Soup/Roll, Salad or Leftover with steam rice or veg that I can throw in the microwave at work.

My dinners tend to be Protein-centric, for ease I quite often make big batches of slow cooker meals/prepared foods things like - Strogonoff, Thai Green Curry, Chilli, Falafel, Fishcakes, etc.

I keep a bag of Chicken Breasts in the freezer and sometimes just throw it in a pan with one of the Maggi So Tender papers on and have it with some steamed veg.

I normally keep a bag of sliced green beans and a bag of broccoli in the freezer to cut down on waste.

Tonight I'll be having Baked Chicken Wings in Franks Hot Sauce with some homemade Parmesan fries to the tune of about 850 calories but it fits into my calories and my macros and takes about 5-10 mins to prep/ 35 mins in the oven to cook, whilst I do some laundry and watch something on Netflix.
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Start with protein and pick up 2-3 kinds you like , then carbs ...

There are so many foods you can have in your freezer and throw together for a yummy meal.

Cooked steak
    Cooked chicken
    Shrimp
    Chile- crockpot
    Wraps -frozen separately then bagged
    Shredded cheese
    Veggies- green beans, broccoli, cauliflower
    Rice
    Baked beans-crockpot
    Meatballs

Have fun , wish I could shop with you 😊

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what they said. ^^

It just takes time to learn is all. I had to plug things into the FOOD page and look at the calories and macros for quite some time before I got good at knowing what would keep me full and still be within calories.

It's a big ole science-y experiment that you have to figure out. Portions, macros, satiety, convenience - it's all relevant. I have probably 20 different favorite meals that I can prepare within 15-20 minutes that are full of vegetables and have sufficient protein and fat.

Just work at it. :)

^This. It took me a while of logging and paying attention to what kept me full. I'm not doing keto, so I eat across all food groups with abandon, but I have also found filling dinners that are fast, easy, and not obscenely calorie laden (usually the meal I struggle most with).

Now, keeping me out of evening snacks is another story...
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

thanks <3

Did you spend any time reading the sticky posts at the top of each forum section ?