instagram

Options
Someone at the gym told me about a lift routine she saw on Instagram. do you find this a good tool..anyone you like to follow for workouts?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Not very often. There is quite a bit if nonsense on IG. Unless it is a fitness professional I trust (ex. Bret Contreras) or someone trained by them, I don't give it much attention. Sometimes if it is a new variation of something I already do, I will try it because I workout at home with limited equipment so I have to be creative.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Not a good source of information. There is a lot of crap on Instagram. Lots of people trying to get their 15 minutes of fame. I, like was mentioned above, follow Bret Contreras, but he is a professional trainer and it's someone who's advice I would trust. Not just some random person trying to become instagram famous. But he doesn't really post routines on instagram, more like just little tidbits of information, transformation photos, etc.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i learn a lot in the aerial stuffs from instagram.
    but i have rules about it.
    is there set up safe?
    do they look and sound like they know what they are doing?
    is it in the realm of my abilities?
    who follows them?
    who do they follow?
    are they trying to sell me something?
    and again is it safe?

also if you are posting something inspired by a post: give them credit.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    99.9% of what you see on social media involving lifting is garbage.

That being said there is excellent content out there it's just buried because the people making claims such as...

"Do this routine to get a booty like mine."

or

"Take these suppliments to get you jacked and burn fat".

and unfortunately people are gullible.

Find people that have a good track record. Who use data based programming, not people that have alot of followers neccessarily.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Not a good source of information. There is a lot of crap on Instagram. Lots of people trying to get their 15 minutes of fame. I, like was mentioned above, follow Bret Contreras, but he is a professional trainer and it's someone who's advice I would trust. Not just some random person trying to become instagram famous. But he doesn't really post routines on instagram, more like just little tidbits of information, transformation photos, etc.

Thanx for the tip I'll check it out😊
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Anything in media lately you have to filter it out. But I'll use what's out thereI guess. I do YouTube a lot, it gets old
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,067 Member
    Options
    Someone at the gym told me about a lift routine she saw on Instagram. do you find this a good tool..anyone you like to follow for workouts?

If you're looking for strength workouts, there's a thread here about well-respected ones:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Anything in media lately you have to filter it out. But I'll use what's out thereI guess. I do YouTube a lot, it gets old

Yup. But there's more misinformation on those platforms than most. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Almost never. You simply can't include enough information/context in an infographic.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I follow some people for inspiration but not for practical advice on dieting or working out. Any nutcase can put out whatever they want on SM so I would be hesitant to follow any IG workout program.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My friend shows me workouts on Instagram all the time, and all I can comment on is their poor form, the muscles they should be working while doing the move (and aren't), or the fact that it just looks like a workout clothing ad... I like it for inspiration at times, but stick to the routines from my trainer at the gym. I find a lot of stuff out there focuses on the wrong stuff (exercise-type, amount of weight or lack thereof, etc).
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I unfollowed all Instagram fitness people a year ago. Most of what they say is completely wrong and nearly all of them want to sell you something.

One popular Aussie girl has no muscle tone yet sells work out guides. She actually looks better in the before photos.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    I unfollowed all Instagram fitness people a year ago. Most of what they say is completely wrong and nearly all of them want to sell you something.

One popular Aussie girl has no muscle tone yet sells work out guides. She actually looks better in the before photos.

This is 99% of fitness industry. In general those who want to put out good fitness content, will not use IG as a top shelf means to do so. If somebody is in it for likes, I'd hazard their content will be lacking usefulness.

I have no problem with someone out to make a buck even if it is eye candy, but to mislead people by a well angle booty shot or claiming no steroid use by a cookie cutter program is just slum marketing at best.