Green Tea - Matcha

Options
I wanted to buy some matcha tea at the store. All I could find at Kroger was Celestial Seasonings Green Tea Matcha. Is this the same thing as just matcha tea?

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/green/matcha-green-tea

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Matcha is very young green tea leaves ground into a fine powder. The Celestial probably contains some matcha, but is mostly standard mature green tea leaves.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You're most likely to find pure matcha in larger Asian food sections and markets.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You're probably not going to find real matcha in a typical grocery store. I've only ever seen it at tea specialty stores and websites. It's usually kind of expensive and they at least tell you it requires a special process to make a cup of matcha correctly. I tend to look for tea bargains in general, so I've never tried it!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    We purchase the sipping and blending varieties here:

https://matchasource.com/product-category/matcha-for-tea/
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'll only buy ceremonial grade matcha
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You're probably not going to find real matcha in a typical grocery store. I've only ever seen it at tea specialty stores and websites. It's usually kind of expensive and they at least tell you it requires a special process to make a cup of matcha correctly. I tend to look for tea bargains in general, so I've never tried it!

Precisely. This is why I attached the link in my primary post. Patron @their LA store.
  • go52182
    go52182 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I really thought I wasn't buying just matcha... I figured it was pretty much green tea. I appreciate all of you! :)
  • asonrody
    asonrody Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I stopped by sprouts today and saw that they had matcha love, the brand has ceremonial grade powders although I haven't tried it. If you have an h mart or a 99 ranch near you I would look there!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've gotten matcha at Whole Foods (but I'm not expert enough to know if it was *good* matcha).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    In addition to Whole Foods, most other health-food-type stores have matcha these days. I don't do fancy things with a straw whisk, I just mix it vigorously in water with a fork (some kinds mysteriously clump up more than others). Personally, I like it cold.

AFAIK, it's not magically healthy or weight-loss-inducing, but it's tasty.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    go52182 wrote: »
    I wanted to buy some matcha tea at the store. All I could find at Kroger was Celestial Seasonings Green Tea Matcha. Is this the same thing as just matcha tea?

Nope. Green tea is green tea, matcha is matcha.

Well no not really. Matcha is a type of green tea - or more specifically it's a specific processing of young of green tea leaves.

It's the same concept as, Maine coons are cats, but not all cats are Maine coons. Or if we want to go back to food, roma tomatoes are tomatoes but not all tomatoes are romas.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    go52182 wrote: »

Nope. Green tea is green tea, matcha is matcha.

Well no not really. Matcha is a type of green tea - or more specifically it's a specific processing of young of green tea leaves.

It's the same concept as, Maine coons are cats, but not all cats are Maine coons. Or if we want to go back to food, roma tomatoes are tomatoes but not all tomatoes are romas.

And now to derail this thread completely, Maine Coons are the most amazing cats out there. If I every wanted to take care of another living creature, that will be it for sure. Always wanted one or two from this breed.

We are in complete agreement there :D