vegetarian/vegan recipes

I'm lacto-ovo and I'm curious what other people do to manage their protein, or have favorite recipes.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I'm vegan. I get most of my protein from beans, tofu, tempeh, and seitan, rounded out with the protein in vegetables and grains. Sometimes I'll have some protein powder (hemp, pea, or rice), either in a smoothie or added to baked goods/veggie burgers.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Most of my protein comes from soy (in the form of tofu or TVP/soy curls), other beans, Greek yogurt, protein powder and bars, tempeh, seitan, and sometimes eggs or cheese.
  • Spadhnik
    Spadhnik Posts: 130 Member
    edited November 2018
    You can try some Indian Recipes - Lentil Dal (soup), paneer (not vegan) curry goes well with small portion of rice
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, eggs, fake meat - (Garden, Benelovent, Boca), tofu, tempeh.

My newest obsession is Starbucks double shot coffee with 20g protein (200 cal) to start the day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    I've been ovo-lacto for 44+ years, and (at 5'5", weight in 130s, age 63) target 100+g protein daily. I don't have much trouble getting it. I make it a point to get protein throughout the day, in many forms. Most of my foods with relatively more calories also contribute at least some protein - that's something I've worked at over time by reviewing my food diary and looking for improvement opportunities.

I found the thread below super helpful. It lists many foods by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. (You'll need to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy stuff near the top of the linked spreadsheet to find ovo-lacto veg protein sources, but they're there):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I eat quite a bit of dairy, only a few eggs, legumes of all types often, more protein-rich pasta/noodles (chickpea, pea, edamame pasta and noodles for example) in preference to regular pasta. I eat some nuts (an excellent healthy-fat source with a bit of protein) and seeds. I emphasize protein-containing foods (that I enjoy) over those with little or no protein. There are veggies with more protein, fruits with more protein, grains with more protein, etc. I've found protein-y snacks I really enjoy (crispy chickpeas and broad beans, puppodums, etc.). I eat some tofu, tempeh, edamame, miso, etc. I find seitan kind of meh, but do eat it very occasionally.

I don't enjoy fake meats, protein powders or bars, so I don't eat them. Life is too short for foods I don't enjoy! (There's nothing wrong with them, IMO, they're just not to my taste.)

I cook from scratch without recipes, but have some common themes. I like pseudo-Asian noodle preparations with edamame noodles and lots of veggies, with miso sauce, chili sauce, or a peanut sauce made with peanut butter powder (plus soy sauce or fermented chili sauce plus seasonings).

I like tacos or enchiladas. Especially good are black beans and sweet potatoes tacos in soft corn tortillas, with a mild cheese and a dollop of fromage blanc or Greek yogurt. Corn salsa is a good addition, or tomatillo salsa even or regular tomato type salsa. Sometimes, especially if calories are short, I make a main dish of refried beans with plenty of chopped onions and chopped sweet peppers, with a bit of cheese and a good-sized topping of salsa.

Legume soups of many sorts are a staple in Winter, along with veggie stews with beans or browned tempeh. Chopped dill pickles are surprisingly good in white bean soup. Chili is nice, too. A tip for chili (and some stews) is to add about a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder (the kind used for baking) per large serving, while cooking - it adds richness. A dark miso stirred into legume soups or stews right before serving is also a good touch - remember that it will add quite a bit of saltiness.

Roasted veggies are a good start on anything, perhaps with one of the richer-tasting hard cheese or goat cheese on top. Mixed with or atop chickpea pasta is tasty. Speaking of chickpea pasta, I like it in a mac'n'cheese type preparation that includes a moderate amount of cheese, but a generous amount of mashed-up winter squash and some Greek yogurt. Carmelized onions or roasted garlic and chopped fresh sage are tasty to bake in, or you can cook the sage a bit when carmelizing the onions, if you want to stir together and eat rather than baking.

Lately, I've been liking a Rueben-sandwich-like thing made with an whole-grain pita or Ezekiel tortilla (the latter folded taco style), some mozzarella or string cheese, thin-sliced onions, smoked tofu, and hearty mustard. Heat to melt the cheese, then add some raw sauerkraut right before eating.

I eat frittata or scrambled eggs or an omelet every week or two, maybe, with whatever veggies/cheese/sauce (like lentils or salsa) on top.

Hope that helps! :)
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    A lot of info..thx a lot!
    It was great tips and I'll try your ideas..sounds quite tasty.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2018
    I'm an ovo/lacto with some dietary issues (celiac disease and IBS and am somewhat soy intollerant) and I also cook for a family that has two ominvores, and two vegetarians, so my situation is pretty unique and I'm not very helpful in these types of threads, but I can offer some tips on easy dishes. There are also picky eaters who will also only eat salad as their form of veggies, and I don't always want salad. Saying that...

What I do on the weekends is prep sheet pans of different veggies and roast them without oil (they keep better this way). Anything can be mixed and matched... cherry tomatoes, zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, butternut squash, delicata squash, turnips, carrots, bell peppers, string beans..

When it comes time for meal time, those veggies star in stir fries with Beyond meat products or beans and go with rice I've prepped to go with the omnivore's meal. They could be in a frittata that everyone eats. They could be heated up in a pan with olive oil, some fresh tomatoes and seasonings, and tossed with bean pasta. Or even if I'm feeling lazy sometimes I just heat them up in a pan with olive oil and top them with cottage cheese and have a baked potato on the side. My daughter (the other vegetarian) and I both like this particular meal a lot. When I'm less lazy, that meal is a bean or lentil chili with the veggies and the baked potato.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I love some breakfast yogurt. I get the strained, high protein one. I use dairy in a lot of my meals and it helps a lot, plus tastes good.
  • PigHerder
    PigHerder Posts: 89 Member
    So many great recipes around for herbivores. One of my top sites is Minimalist Baker. Just easy (and delicious!) plant-based recipes requiring 10 ingredients or less, 1 bowl, or 30 minutes or less to prepare: https://minimalistbaker.com/
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    I love some breakfast yogurt. I get the strained, high protein one. I use dairy in a lot of my meals and it helps a lot, plus tastes good.

I like yogurt too. Skyr is one of my favorite. I've made it but Siggi's is my favorite since it's the best one I can find