4 day Beginner routine: opinions wanted

Options
I had a friend ask me to train him up and tech him some things. I am torn between recommending something like starting strength, or giving him a beginner routine I wrote for him that focuses on the basics plus some functional strength. The routine is as follows:

FULL CYCLE CONSITS OF A & B

Part A) ENDURANCE WEEK

DAY 1: CHEST/TRICEPS
FLAT BENCH, Barbell or dumbell - 4 sets, 7-11 reps
FLAT CABLE FLYE - 3 sets, 10 reps
INCLINE BENCH - barbell or dumbell - 4 sets, 7-11 reps
TRICEP ROPE - 4 sets, 7-11 reps
DIPS - 4 sets to failure at bodyweight

DAY 2: BACK/BICEPS
LAT PULL OR PULLUPS - 4 sets, 7-11 reps if lat pull, or to failure if pull ups
DEADLIFTS: 4 Sets, 7-10 reps
DUMBELL OR BARBELL ROW - 4 sets, 7-11 reps
DUMBELL CURLS: 4 sets, 7-11 reps
PREACHER CURLS: 4 sets, 7-11 reps

DAY 3: SHOULDERS/LEGS
SQUATS: 4 sets, 10 reps
OVERHEAD PRESS, barbell or dumbell - 4 sets, 7-11 reps.
LUNGES: 4 sets, 8-10 steps per leg
UPRIGHT ROW - 3 sets, 10 reps
CALF RAISE - 4 sets, 15 reps
LATERAL DUMBELL RAISE - 3 sets, 7-11 reps

DAY 4: FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH/CORE

FARMERS WALKS + SLEDGEHAMMER TIRE HITS - 4 rounds, 30 seconds per exercise

TIRE FLIPS - 4 rounds, 30 seconds work, 1 minute rest

OVERHEAD FARMERS + BATTLE ROPES - 4 sets, 30 seconds per exercise

CORE:
2 SETS, 30-60 SECONDS UNSUPPORTED SITUPS
2 SETS 25-50 FLUTTERKICKS
2 SETS 10-25 OBLIQUE CRUNCHES
2 SETS 25-50 MASON TWIST
2 SETS KNEE TO ELBOWS TO FAILURE
LEFT, RIGHT, CENTER PLANK, 30-60 SECONDS EACH.

Part B is strength week...exercises stay the same, rep range drops to 3-6 on all lifts on days 1,2, & 3. Day 4 does not change.

Repeat alternating part a) and b) for 8-12 cycles.

Opinions, critiques? I've had pretty good success with designing my own routines before for myself, but I've never really had them reviewed by anyone. Would this be a good routine to give a beginner to build a base of strength and form, some asthetics, and some functional strength? He is starting off fairly scrawny btw, definitely not overweight.

Replies

• RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    What would you say is unnecessary? I thought I cut it pretty bare bones to the big movements with minimal accessory work, but maybe not.
    Also this is not necessarily meant to be once a week- it's 4 days, with 1-2 floating rest days to take as needed...kinda how I run my current split. Its a 5 day split and rest is just whenever I'm tired and a bit weaker. Sometimes that's after 4 or 5 days, but there have been weeks where I ran 8-10 before a rest. Sometimes chest is on Saturday one week and Thursday the next.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It looks solid, I've seen worse, but you asked in the context of a beginner's program. I think that looks more like an intermediate program.

I'm far from an expert, but I'm of the belief every novice lifter should run a simple full body LP program. Let him get some muscle before you worry about accessory work. As an example, why would a guy who probably cant squat his own body weight need to do lunges and calf raises, just have him squat 3 days a week while he can get away with it, newbie gains only last so long.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Fair enough, thanks for the input. Now you mention it, it does seem more intermediate.

I have a habit of that when teaching people things...I end up going all trial by fire on people.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Ok cool. This input is good, especially since I am considering maybe getting a personal training cert at some point.

So what I'm gathering is that I went way too overboard for a beginner, and to stick to the absolute basics like

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Flat barbell bench
    Pull ups/chin ups
    Dips
    Barbell rows
    Overhead barbell press
    Planks

What about the functional strength/strongman type stuff like day 4...sledgehammer hits, tire flips, farmers walks, overhead farmers, etc? Is that stuff beginner friendly?
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Ok, for anyone still looking at this, I stripped it down and built a new routine that is quite basic, yet still fairly effective in my moderately experienced yet not all knowing opinion. He did day 1 today after a basic instruction on form last night (I was there to coach form). Critiques encouraged

DAY 1:
    SQUATS 3X5
    DEADLIFT 3X5
    BENCH 3X5
    BARBELL ROW 3X5
    PLANKS: LEFT/RIGHT/CENTER 30-60 SECONDS
    FARMERS WALKS X4 (approx 30 meters)
    TIRE FLIPS 4x 30 seconds work, 1 minute rest

DAY 2:
    SQUAT 3X5
    OVERHEAD PRESS 3X5
    PULL-UPS 3X FAILURE
    DIPS 3X FAILURE
    PLANKS L/R/C 30-60 SECONDS PER
    SLEDGE TIRE 4 rounds, 30 work/60 rest
    BATTLE ROPES 4 rounds, 30 work/60 rest

Rinset & repeat.

Never work out more than 2 days consecutively, never rest more than 2 days consecutively. Extra pushups, pull ups on doorway bar, wall sits, air squats, and planks encouraged on all lifting days. Do nothing on rest days.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Might be easier to track progression without the constant cycling (bro, no need for "muscle confusion"), esp. for a beginner (is he/she going to remember lifts from ~2 weeks ago easily or constantly going to have to review workout logs?). Just too complicated to start off in my opinion

Re: more recent wo stripped down version looks way more reasonable
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I vote for Starting Strength. Simple, effective.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ok, for anyone still looking at this, I stripped it down and built a new routine that is quite basic, yet still fairly effective in my moderately experienced yet not all knowing opinion. He did day 1 today after a basic instruction on form last night (I was there to coach form). Critiques encouraged

DAY 1:
    SQUATS 3X5
    DEADLIFT 3X5
    BENCH 3X5
    BARBELL ROW 3X5
    PLANKS: LEFT/RIGHT/CENTER 30-60 SECONDS
    FARMERS WALKS X4 (approx 30 meters)
    TIRE FLIPS 4x 30 seconds work, 1 minute rest

DAY 2:
    SQUAT 3X5
    OVERHEAD PRESS 3X5
    PULL-UPS 3X FAILURE
    DIPS 3X FAILURE
    PLANKS L/R/C 30-60 SECONDS PER
    SLEDGE TIRE 4 rounds, 30 work/60 rest
    BATTLE ROPES 4 rounds, 30 work/60 rest

Rinset & repeat.

Never work out more than 2 days consecutively, never rest more than 2 days consecutively. Extra pushups, pull ups on doorway bar, wall sits, air squats, and planks encouraged on all lifting days. Do nothing on rest days.

I don’t know many beginners that can do pull ups, dips, planks and tires in one session. I would incorporate 1 of the three each week. Day 2 is borderline advanced as far as I am concerned, although I don’t believe you’ve told us anything about the person your building the program for. If so my mistake. I’d stick with the big three and maybe add 1-2 new accessory lift each week.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Sorry for the lack of responses, I thought the thread was dead and don't come in this section of the forum that often.

He's been training on the 2 day split routine for about 3.5 weeks. Its going well, he has made insane beginner gains on everything. Here's an update for anyone interested in how its going.

His squat went from 95 for 3 to 135 for 5
    His deadlift just hit 185 with good form, it started at 135 with not good form at all
    His bench went from 95 to 125
    His rows have gone up almost 40lbs
    His overhead press - the one weak point, I cant seem to get him to stop arching his back
    He went from 1 pull up to 4 deadhangs and can almost get a fifth
    He went from being able to do 3 bw dips to 10 be dips (to full depth)
    His planks are past a minute and we are moving on to other core exercises
    He's graduated tire size, farmers walking 3/4 of his bodyweight, he's ready for a heavier sledge than 10 lbs (I count the number of sledge hits in 30 seconds, 15 minimum is goal, anything past 18 and you need a heavier hammer IMO)

• 80sSynthwave
    80sSynthwave Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For a beginner, just do a push pull routine. No need to get all crazy and with tires and hammers and such. Half the time that "functional" stuff just grinds cartlidge and causes injuries anyways.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    For a beginner, just do a push pull routine. No need to get all crazy and with tires and hammers and such. Half the time that "functional" stuff just grinds cartlidge and causes injuries anyways.

How are tires and hammers crazy? It's old school boxer conditioning...so old school I'd be willing to bet jack dempsey did it.