Blisters. To needle or not to needle? That is the question.

Options
I let the juice out. You?

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Not to pop (infection risk/spreading)
    If related to friction, using paper tape over the area is a good means to prevent blisters from forming
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I probably shouldn’t pop them, but I do.

If you don’t already wear moisture wicking socks, I find that they help dramatically with preventing blisters.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    If I get blisters from rowing (boats), they will pop themselves on the next row if I don't do something first, and breaking them open on an oar handle won't be clean or pleasant. I pierce them with a sterile needle, apply a liquid bandage product liberally, let it dry. That's usually enough protection for daily life.

When I'm rowing again, it almost certainly won't be healed yet, so I make sure there's a reasonable coating of dried liquid bandage, then make my hand into an oar-handle-holding shape, and wrap duct tape all the way around the affected area (finger or palm/hand) until the duct tape overlaps itself. The duct tape mummification will usually hold up to rowing and protects the blistered area; the liquid bandage protects the blister from the duct tape.

We don't wear gloves (you need to feel the water through the oar handle, which is easier with a sense of touch), and expecting a normal bandage tape of any kind to stay on through a row is just laughable. The duct tape interferes a bit with touch-sensation, but not as much as gloves.

Not the kind of answer you had in mind, probably. Don't even ask about grooming rowing calluses. ;)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I pop them, and let it dry. Then put a little Neosporin and bandaid on if I need to use that body part.

I tried not popping it before and it made it worse. It eventually torn on it's own and it was a messy tear that pulled back a ton of skin and took forever to heal up.
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I tried not popping it before and it made it worse. It eventually torn on it's own and it was a messy tear that pulled back a ton of skin and took forever to heal up.

Yup

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It is unavoidable sometimes (frequent use - hand, foot blister). I'll usually just graze the blister at the side with something clean, drain the fluid, clean area + surrounding, & liquid bandage the area + surrounding (newskin). Leave uncoated before sleeping (give it a chance for skin to turn over) & re-cover during day
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The official guideline is not to pop because of the risk of infection unless it's likely to pop on its own, which is mostly the case in my experience. Pop at the side. I clean the area with alcohol, lance them using a clean lancet (since I already have sterile lancets as a diabetic) and use hydro colloidal bandages to protect the area.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I had my first blister in years on Monday after a 10 mile run in new trainers.

I popped it then put a plaster on.

I'm not normally stupid enough to try out new trainers on a long run. Don't know what I was thinking.