Calories/weight relationship

Options
Hi All,

I have just started to use MFP and it has been eye opening. I have been recording my meals and have been maintaining close to a 1200 calorie diet.
Let me telly you a little about myself, to provide more background. I weight 230 lbs. I am 5'2 and considered to be obese. I am 23 now and work like crazy. I gained almost 50 pounds all through school in the past four years. I realize that my downfall has been my diet. So I am trying to work really hard to maintain my diet. I have been/used to be a very active person, especially during high school, but now I cannot get into the groove of things.

Anyways, my question is: Is there a relationship between the amount of calories you eat and your weight? I currently eat 1200 calories a day. But I saw someone who is about 325lbs and eats only about 800 calories a day. Isn't that close to starving yourself? Hopefully someone can explain?

Replies

• Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but im pretty sure 1200 is minimum for women and 1800 for men. In addition, to every 3500 calories you eat, you gain a pound but yeah if that person is eating 800 calories... thats pretty much starving yourself.... unless authorized by a medical professional, 800 is way too low.
  • djeangould
    djeangould Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having a problem eating the 1200 calories. I basically live on fruits, vegetables and fish. Have health problems that keep me from exercising all the time. I would like to be able to lower my calories.
  • dkhuff1
    dkhuff1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you are 5'2 and weigh 230, I think 1200 is too low. You should be shooting for a loss of 2# / week or less. Starting at such a low calorie total at your weight will slow your metabolism. What will you do when you weigh 180 ad still want to lose? You should also add some sort of exercise.

Good luck!
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and started off at 231lbs. I eat 1200cals or a few hundred over when I exercise and I have lost 23lbs. My metabolism hasn't slowed down. I know when I get closer to my goal weight I may have to change things and weight loss may slow down, so why not do what works for you while it's working and if it stops working, change it.