Thank You to My Building's Annoying Food Delivery Policy

MikePTY
MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
So today hadn't been a great day. I hurt my toe pretty badly at training a couple of days ago, and went to the doctor today to get xrays and see if it was broken. Thankfully it was not, but I'll still have to rest it and limit my exercise for at least a week probably.

The whole thing was fairly draining emotionally, and I went first thing this morning without having breakfast, so as I was coming home, all I wanted was a big, juicy fast good burger. The biggest, fattiest burger I could find (in this case, it would have been the Wendy's Classic Triple with fries). Burgers are my kryptonite. All in all, the meal would have been at least 1500 calories, and all the unhealthy saturated and trans fats to accompany it.

But my building also has an annoying food delivery policy. For "safety" reasons they don't allow any delivery guys to come up to apartments or into the complex. So to get delivery, you need to go outside then walk out the front gate of the parking lot to meet the deliver guys. No way I was doing that today limping around on a busted toe. The policy is dumb and I hate it and to be honest at night when there is nobody from the building here I sometimes break it and get food delivered right to my apartment door and the world keeps on running.

During the day though, there is always a full time maintenance guy who works at the buildings, and his office is by the entrance so he is usually there. And sure enough, today when I got back from the doctor, he was sitting directly outside the front door, talking to one of the residents.

He is a super nice guy and the last thing I wanted to do was cause any issue for him or any problems, so I hobbled my way inside, grumbled to myself, and decided it wasn't worth it to get the delivery.

Instead, I made myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, had a side of some white popcorn, and ate a piece of cheese. It certainly didn't set my taste buds on fire. But it clocked in at less than 600 calories. This saved me almost 1000 calories from the splurge I had planned, and helped quell my cravings to splurge afterwards (sometimes splurges can lead to spiraling and more splurges).

So thank you to my building's annoying food delivery policy for keeping me in check today. I still think you're dumb and I'm gonna try to get you repealed at the next homeowners association meeting, but today you did me a solid.

How about you guys? Are there any "annoyances" in your life that aggravate you, but at the end of the day, can help you make better choices? I'd love to hear some of them.

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    My apartment complex doesn’t have a policy like yours but the buildings are numbered so stupidly that delivery people constantly get lost trying to find the apartment they are looking for. I’ve been stopped numerous times while walking my dog by lost delivery guys.

So I know any time I have food delivered it’s going to 1) take 20-30 minutes longer than it should and 2) most likely involve an annoying phone call trying to explain to some lost delivery guy how to find my apartment. A lot of the time I decide it isn’t worth the hassle and end up making a healthier choice instead.

I hope your toe gets better soon!
  • fitnesskatie93
    fitnesskatie93 Posts: 1 Member
    My office is literally the furthest away point from the main entrance. The most annoying thing is that I can see my office from where I park my car but I have to take the 10 minute walk regardless because of security. Annoying when it’s cold and raining but I’m thankful that I get some steps in!
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    I'm glad that your apartments annoying policy stopped you from eating too much, but all I can think to say, is why didn't you just stop on your way home?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited December 2018
    I had PB&J today too :smiley:

My own laziness saves me most of the time. I don't keep anything I'm likely to overeat at work, so I have to actually drive somewhere for anything to satisfy a craving. I can't usually be bothered to do that. (I keep things like yogurt, string cheese, and almonds so I'm not exactly starving myself ;) )

Sorry about the busted up to. Feel better soon!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!