Does My FitnessPal calculate your macros right for you?

Options
Hi everyone!

So here's a question from a total newbie... But do you rely on the macros that My FitnessPal has for you or do you need to have them calculated elsewhere?

If you need to calculate them elsewhere, can someone please guide or direct me with this.

Thanks so much everyone!

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    They are calculated for you by percentage just fine by MFP. You can change them if you like. Macros really aren't that important as far as losing weight. Calorie deficit is most important. Macros matter more for satiety and they can be set to whatever satisfies you.
  • LittleNix92
    LittleNix92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much musicfan68! That's so helpful! And does MFP calculate calories pretty accurately or should I be confirming that elsewhere?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Why would you think that a website/app set up to calculate calories would not be accurate? As long as you put in accurate info in the app when you set it up, then there's no reason it wouldn't be accurate unless you are some anomaly.

You need to use it correctly though. Check the database entries against the package info, and weigh/measure your food correctly.
  • LittleNix92
    Options
    Sorry, like I said, I'm very new to the app. I understand that the app will calculate calories based on what I log that I have eaten, I just wasn't sure if the calories set per day were generic or specific to me. Guess that's been answered.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Any calorie calculator is just an estimate. Regardless of which one you use, you won't know if it's right until you do it for a few weeks and judge by your results.

The mfp macros are fine. Many of us look at protein and fat as minimums to exceed and let carbs fall where they may.

If you are talking about the accuracy of the database, it is mostly user needed and does contain errors. You should always check an entry to the package or the USDA published info before using it for the first time. Good luck!
  • LittleNix92
    Options
    Thank you so much kimny72! So helpful!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The calories MFP gives you are specific to your stats, but as mentioned, are just an estimate. They're a great place to start for the vast majority of people. If you chose the fastest rate of weight loss and ended up getting 1200 calories, then they are not specific to you. 1200 calories is the lowest MFP will give, regardless of your stats. In that case, to get calories specific to you, you will need to change your rate of weight loss to something lower per week until you get a number that is over 1200 calories.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

So here's a question from a total newbie... But do you rely on the macros that My FitnessPal has for you or do you need to have them calculated elsewhere?

If you need to calculate them elsewhere, can someone please guide or direct me with this.

Thanks so much everyone!

I used the information here to set my macros: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1