Changing taste buds

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I think I'd be bummed out if I didn't still enjoy a good homemade pie or my favorite flavors of Jeni's ice cream or, say, an olive oil cake like I had at a local tapas place a couple of weekends ago. I kind of wonder if the idea that these no longer taste good is more of a mental thing, since I can eat sweets only on special occasions or go without for a couple of months and still enjoy them. I realize people are different, but I get this sense of "if you eat well you won't like anything with sugar, ick" with some posts. Maybe I'm misreading.

I do think that how you eat definitely affects what you tend to crave. When I'm eating as I like to, I crave the kinds of homemade dinners I usually make. When I get lazy and start ordering in more often I'll crave that kind of food (mmm, curry). But that I eat it much, much more rarely doesn't mean I don't enjoy Indian restaurant made curry -- it was my Friday dinner out choice, in fact -- little Indian place near a theater we were going to.

In my post above I was thinking specifically about Peppermint Patties. I can only eat 1 mini now. I used to be able to eat two regular sized.

My Mom's pies were never overly sweet but I've always found supermarket pies and cakes to be too sweet. I became the official birthday baker at work because I couldn't stand the supermarket cakes they were buying. Almost any American dessert recipe I try I know I can safely reduce the sugar by about 1/3.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I think I'd be bummed out if I didn't still enjoy a good homemade pie or my favorite flavors of Jeni's ice cream or, say, an olive oil cake like I had at a local tapas place a couple of weekends ago. I kind of wonder if the idea that these no longer taste good is more of a mental thing, since I can eat sweets only on special occasions or go without for a couple of months and still enjoy them. I realize people are different, but I get this sense of "if you eat well you won't like anything with sugar, ick" with some posts. Maybe I'm misreading.

I do think that how you eat definitely affects what you tend to crave. When I'm eating as I like to, I crave the kinds of homemade dinners I usually make. When I get lazy and start ordering in more often I'll crave that kind of food (mmm, curry). But that I eat it much, much more rarely doesn't mean I don't enjoy Indian restaurant made curry -- it was my Friday dinner out choice, in fact -- little Indian place near a theater we were going to.

In my post above I was thinking specifically about Peppermint Patties. I can only eat 1 mini now. I used to be able to eat two regular sized.

My Mom's pies were never overly sweet but I've always found supermarket pies and cakes to be too sweet. I became the official birthday baker at work because I couldn't stand the supermarket cakes they were buying. Almost any American dessert recipe I try I know I can safely reduce the sugar by about 1/3.

I don't think I've ever had a supermarket pie or cake. Trying to remember.