Options
2»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Nachise wrote: »
    Is canned chicken really a thing? Does it end up liked canned tuna?

Yep...oversalted and tasteless. Much cheaper and easier to buy boneless chicken breast or thighs, cook them, and portion them. Much tastier, too. Frankly, I can never get over the jelled junk in the can.

I use it from time to time and it's packaged in a variety of ways. I buy it packed in water so no jelly and it's not salty at all.

I think mixed with other things it's great, cheap, and fast. I make chicken salad or mix it with salsa and use it for a quick plate of nachos or a burrito.

Certainly not the same quality as buying a chicken breast but decent substitute.

As for rice, for years I have made it an kept it in the fridge up to a week with no problems.

Yes, I also buy it packed in springwater. But it does come in various "flavours". The best of those was cajun, but they only seemed to stock that for a little while.

When I make my lunches, I heat the rice and veggies, then I mix the rice and chicken together and top the mixture with the steamed veggies. Sometimes I add soy sauce or garlic or something for a bit of different flavour.

We also use it for dinner by adding it to soup or other dishes ... added it to mac and cheese last night, with a heaping side of steamed veggies. :):)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My rule tends to be: if it doesn't have fuzzy green/black patches, or smell sour, it's probably fine.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Is canned chicken really a thing? Does it end up liked canned tuna?

I've used it before to make chicken salad. Similar to tuna but bigger chunks so it doesn't get quite as wet. It's good for chicken salad when you are covering it with other stuff anyways, but I'd find it difficult to eat just from the can.

Ditto, although I've had some success adding canned chicken to mac 'n' cheese (but I much prefer pork or sausage if I'm adding meat to mac 'n' cheese). You could probably also heat it up with salsa/beans/cheese and use it as a burrito filling. Basically, it needs to be in a dish in which the fact that it's going to fall apart is a benefit, or at least a neutral characteristic, and where there's going to be something else to add some flavor, because it's pretty bland.

ETA: You could probably get away with tossing it into soup, but I would only do that to boost the protein in canned soup. I wouldn't muck up tasty homemade soup with it -- give me chicken parts or a carcass or a whole chicken for that.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I do rice many weeks and eat off of it for the full week. Never had an issue. But I don't allow it to just sit out and stay "warm". It gets cooked, it gets portioned, and then it gets cooled down.

Same here. I'll make a batch in the rice cooker and portion it. (I love my rice cooker, and it's great for oats too. I'm with those who don't care for the microwave packages.)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    I do rice many weeks and eat off of it for the full week. Never had an issue. But I don't allow it to just sit out and stay "warm". It gets cooked, it gets portioned, and then it gets cooled down.

Same here. I'll make a batch in the rice cooker and portion it. (I love my rice cooker, and it's great for oats too. I'm with those who don't care for the microwave packages.)

And lentils.