Eating Healthy when you hate cooking.

Options
Hey there!
I’m struggling with eating healthy because I despise cooking. I hate the mess it makes, the time it takes and also if you don’t have a good food scale it’s almost impossible to track accurately. Any ideas on good,healthy, nutritious foods that you don’t have to put a lot of time into that aren’t Lean Cuisines or other TV dinners. (No hate I just get bored of these.)

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up for the chicken salsa.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I’m struggling with eating healthy because I despise cooking. I hate the mess it makes, the time it takes and also if you don’t have a good food scale it’s almost impossible to track accurately. Any ideas on good,healthy, nutritious foods that you don’t have to put a lot of time into that aren’t Lean Cuisines or other TV dinners. (No hate I just get bored of these.)

It might help if you told us how you were eating when you weren't focused on "eating healthy". By "how" I don't mean the specific foods you ate, but literally how you managed to eat without cooking and cleaning up. Were all your meals in restaurants or takeaways? Or did you actually do some cooking, and if so, if you could describe that a little, so we understand how much effort you're OK with, it would be helpful in offering advice.

Also, you may not have a "good food scale" (although I'm not quite sure what constitutes a "good" food scale as opposed to one that isn't good), but is there some reason you can't get one? You could almost certainly afford one with the money you would save from a week or two of cooking from scratch, as opposed to buying all your food ready-made or ready-to-nuke. Convenience costs.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    A scale is inexpensive; you might want to ask yourself “ is this a credible excuse?”

Agreed. For the most part, digital scales are digital scales. A $10-$15 scale is going to be just as good as a model two or three times that cost.

Cooking doesn't have to be time consuming or messy. It takes about 15 minutes to grill a hamburger and chop vegetables for a salad and that would dirty, what, a knife, cutting board, maybe a couple of plates and a bowl? You don't have to make a lasagna or casserole or fancy meal every night.

• megannclutter26
    megannclutter26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Thankfully my fiancé loves to cook so not every meal is takeout or restaurant but a lot is especially if he is busy or out of town. I occasionally cook, but not very often and it’s generally just crockpot or one pan stuff. There’s no reason I couldn’t get one, I just don’t know which would be best.
    Also it doesn’t hurt to mention that raw meat really grosses me out and half the time if I have to touch it or see it I can’t even stand to eat it afterwards.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Thankfully my fiancé loves to cook so not every meal is takeout or restaurant but a lot is especially if he is busy or out of town. I occasionally cook, but not very often and it’s generally just crockpot or one pan stuff.

There’s no reason I couldn’t get one, I just don’t know which would be best.

Also it doesn’t hurt to mention that raw meat really grosses me out and half the time if I have to touch it or see it I can’t even stand to eat it afterwards.

I don't think you need "the best" scale, just an adequate one. I think I've only seen complaints about a Walmart brand scale that didn't easily zero out or switch from grams to ounces or something. They may have improved that since - that was a while ago. I almost never see complaints about scales.

If you want to weigh your crock pot on the scale you may need a scale that weighs over 5 pounds. Mine has an 11 pound capacity and is fine for everything but my heavy dutch oven when it is full of gumbo. (So when that's done I put it in a lighter pan to get the total weight. If you are using traditional servings sizes instead of total weight you can skip this step.)

My scale was actually top rated by America's Test Kitchen, but at $50, on the expensive side, so I put it on my Christmas wish list a few years back. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079D9B82W/?tag=atksearchresult-20
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    You can get packages of rice and beans (you just boil) and add vegetables. I did that a lot back in my mid 20s before I got into cooking. You can buy rotissarie chickens and also shredded chicken from most deli counters (it's just chicken). Or, if you are open to easy cooking, you can crock pot lots of meats -- I will do chicken or turkey or pork or lamb, but you can do more -- and it's really hands off (so you'd only have to see the uncooked meat briefly).

To get away from meat, you can stirfry tofu with vegetables very fast and easily.

Scrambled eggs with cottage cheese on the side (add some vegetables) is fast and has protein.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Thankfully my fiancé loves to cook so not every meal is takeout or restaurant but a lot is especially if he is busy or out of town. I occasionally cook, but not very often and it’s generally just crockpot or one pan stuff. There’s no reason I couldn’t get one, I just don’t know which would be best.

My OH handles most of the meat in the summer - he grills and I make entree salads or whatever. I feel like it is too cold and dark for that now, but he doesn't share that and would extend the grilling season much longer.

What if you looked into vegetarian recipes for the crockpot? Most library systems have a large array of cookbooks available, and you should be able to find tons of recipes on sites like allrecipes.com https://www.allrecipes.com/search/results/?wt=vegetarian slow cooker&sort=re
    https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/vegetarian-slow-cooker
  • kshama2001
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    You can get packages of rice and beans (you just boil) and add vegetables. I did that a lot back in my mid 20s before I got into cooking. You can buy rotissarie chickens and also shredded chicken from most deli counters (it's just chicken). Or, if you are open to easy cooking, you can crock pot lots of meats -- I will do chicken or turkey or pork or lamb, but you can do more -- and it's really hands off (so you'd only have to see the uncooked meat briefly).

To get away from meat, you can stirfry tofu with vegetables very fast and easily.

Scrambled eggs with cottage cheese on the side (add some vegetables) is fast and has protein.

Oh, really good suggestions about the rotisserie chicken and eggs.
    • I've seen lots of recipes that specifically call for rotisserie chicken.
    • We have an egg-based meal about once a week, usually on the day that I have afternoon meetings and less mental energy for dinner.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If the mess is a major issue for you look into one pot meals. I find I make less mess cooking with a food scale, because it's a lot easier to put a mixing bowl on the scale and weigh out ingredients directly into the bowl rather than dirtying 100 measuring utensils to do the same thing.
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Try a meal delivery service where the food is precooked and portioned. All you have to do is reheat.

I’m talking that shelf stable crap like Jenny Craig, but fresh whole ingredients already prepared. I have used one when I’m in a kick of not wanting to cook or meal/ingredient prep.

A good one won’t be cheap, but it also won’t be as expensive as eating out all the time. You will also need to get at least 2 deliveries a week since it’s cooked fresh food, and won’t last long.

If you can’t find one you like, try picking a few dishes you like from your favorite restaurants to order take out and use the leftovers. Study the ingredients and ask them to modify some prep to fit your needs. That shouldn’t be more money than you already spend if you eat out as much as you say. Also, there’s tons of places now that are focused on healthy eating that eating out doesn’t need to equal not eating good.

If budget and not cooking is something you want, then you may need to find you sacrifice either in taste or time.

I ingredient prep, and it 2 days worth of work because I split it up. I like flavorful foods and to have prepared ingredients that are fresh, quality and prepared healthy that taste amazing, takes time. Sure, could I cut down on my prep work? Yes, but I find food is just meh and makes me feel like I’m dieting. But when I invest the time and energy in flavors and marinating and “fancier” meals, it’s easier to eat well as a habit.

You have to decide what will drive you to eat healthy every day, and not as a diet. Once you figure what is important to you, you can then pick a path tat helps you make it a lifestyle change.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thankfully my fiancé loves to cook so not every meal is takeout or restaurant but a lot is especially if he is busy or out of town. I occasionally cook, but not very often and it’s generally just crockpot or one pan stuff.

There’s no reason I couldn’t get one, I just don’t know which would be best.

I don't think you need "the best" scale, just an adequate one. I think I've only seen complaints about a Walmart brand scale that didn't easily zero out or switch from grams to ounces or something. They may have improved that since - that was a while ago. I almost never see complaints about scales.

If you want to weigh your crock pot on the scale you may need a scale that weighs over 5 pounds. Mine has an 11 pound capacity and is fine for everything but my heavy dutch oven when it is full of gumbo. (So when that's done I put it in a lighter pan to get the total weight. If you are using traditional servings sizes instead of total weight you can skip this step.)

My scale was actually top rated by America's Test Kitchen, but at $50, on the expensive side, so I put it on my Christmas wish list a few years back. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079D9B82W/?tag=atksearchresult-20

That's the one I have (although I've had it for at least 8 years, and there has been a MAJOR design change in the interim -- the power and lb/kg buttons have been swapped to the opposite sides. And mine has the tare button next to the power button -- the write-up claims the current model has a tare function, but I don't see it in the picture.

Anyway, it still works fine, although the batteries don't last quite as long since I started using it for tracking food. Originally I bought it for baking, and the batteries lasted for years. Now I'd say it's somewhere between six months and a year.

@megannclutter26 , if you don't like dealing with raw meat, just don't. I don't know where you live, but grocery stores around me sell fully cooked rotisserie chickens, frozen fully cooked chicken "tenders" (nonbreaded as well as breaded), lean deli meat, pre-cooked hams that just need to be heated through, pre-cooked pulled pork in tubs, to name a few options.

There's nothing wrong with crockpot and one pan meals, either from a health standpoint or a taste standpoint. I think that you are setting the bar too high on what constitutes "healthy."

I second some of the suggestions upthread for simple, ready-to-eat foods like edamame, yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit, raw veggies, nuts, etc. There's nothing wrong with making a sandwich and having a side dish that came out of the freezer in a bag or a box, or that came from the prepared foods section of your local grocery store. If you like seafood, many grocery stores will cook what you buy for you. If you don't have concerns about sodium, there are a lot of tasty, healthy canned soups available on your grocer's shelves.

Sometimes when I don't want to cook, I'll make a simple meal from things like whole grain crackers or toast (doesn't have to be whole grain - that's my preference most of the time), cheese, sliced dry sausage, fruit, seeds, and/or nuts or nut butters. Maybe some raw or marinated veggies.

• missjones8805
    missjones8805 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know you said you hate cooking but you could try meal prep. Just take one day and prep your meals for the week and freeze them. That way you are eating healthy and you will be eating less preservatives.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I hate dealing with raw meat too. The only time I will do it occasionally is I'll pick up boneless chicken cutlets and put on a plastic glove and take them right out of the package and put them on a baking sheet. I say "ewww" a lot during this process. Then I put everything in the trash and immediately take it out to the dumpster :lol:

I get frozen fish. I buy a rotisserie chicken. I use canned tuna. I eat lots of beans and lentils to get more protein when that's a problem. It's not perfect, but it works.

You don't need the best scale. Just get a digital one with a flat top (not a bowl). Search on line for "5 ingredient recipes". Check out the frozen food aisle - sure there's stuff there with extra ingredients and calories, but there is also plenty of whole (or close to whole) foods that can fit nicely into a balanced, calorie appropriate diet. Focus on finding just one doable recipe per week. Keep adding as you gain confidence. And there is nothing wrong with crockpot or one pan dishes, I think you could eat a really healthy diet doing nothing but that!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm a decent cook, but also lazy and not a big fan of clean-up. Virtually all of my cooking takes place in one pot on the stove, a crock pot with a plastic liner, or a roasting pan lined with foil. Also, the general rule I tend to follow is, if I'm going to go to the trouble, I'm going to make enough to make it last a while. So I'm a big fan of hearty soups (almost every other meal at our house is soup this time of year) and large skillet dishes where you just throw things in the pot. I use the recipe builder and usually just eye-ball very low calorie ingredients like onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, cans of tomatoes & broth, etc. and weigh the more calorie intensive ingredients. For accurately figuring portions, I keep a list of the weights of all of my pots, pans, & baking dishes on the fridge, weigh the finished pot of food (on my cheap, pretty small food scale), subtract out the weight of the pan, and divide by the # or servings.

Some favorite ingredients in my lazy creations (keeping in mind I have kids and am trying to sneak veggies in) are 150 calorie, high fiber pasta, bags of spinach, finely chopped zucchini & peppers, beans, frozen veggies, low-sodium canned soups/broths, green or red salsa, cottage cheese, unflavored Greek yogurt. The Greek yogurt reminds me- my kids' favorite way to eat veggies is in smoothie form, so we often have hamburgers or meat I've cooked in the crock pot with a smoothie made with skim milk, Greek vanilla yogurt, spinach, and frozen fruit (strawberries, peaches, bananas, etc). Roasting a small pork loin and a bunch of veggies on a foil lined pan is also easy & yummy.

As has been mentioned, if you're a fan of raw veggies & fruits and pre-packaged protein sources (Greek yogurt, tuna, deli meats, boiled eggs), that will do you fine. But most people like a little variety.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    at some point we need to just grow up. some things in life suck but need to get done. cleaning is one of them. no one enjoys cleaning toilets but we just gotta suck up and do it (or i guess spend money on a cleaner to come weekly). Cooking is another.

some things that can help speed things along and reduce clean-up but cost more usually is pre-cut veggies both fresh and frozen. This is one thing I do often.

for chicken you don't really need to handle it raw. I get a pan with parchment paper, use a fork to put chicken o there, add spices and then stick in the oven. i haven't had to really "handle" raw meat, the only clean-up is the pan and fork. You can cook a ton at once and freeze some so you can defrost and nuke real fast for quick dinner (along with frozen veggies and quick rice you have a no fuss healthy meal).

Making big batches of stuff like curry or chili so you end up cooking and cleaning ONE DAY and then having days worth of meals helps too. if you don't like eating the same thing too many days in a row just freeze half or more and now you have ready to eat meals with no fuss for a few nights in the future. Do this every two weekends and you can have a variety of things in your freezer.

For lunches I go the easy route. Cut up raw veggies (you can cut up for a few days at a time, does NOT take long and little clean-up). Then either boiled eggs or a can-bag of tuna and crackers, laughing cow cheese and I use home made protein bar but you can buy them. I make batches of butternut squash soup (but you can buy soup - fresher VS canned) in a double batch and freeze in portion i can pull out as needed-wanted.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Cooking doesn't have to be complicated. I strongly recommend getting a slow cooker. Slow cooked food is simple to make (just turn it on and forget about it), and easy to clean.

Also don't let yourself getting in your head about "hard to accurately measure". It is true that sometimes with home cooking, there can be a little bit of variance. But there is variance with everything (that pre-packaged meal doesn't always have the calories it says it does), regardless if you make it yourself. And it is much better to have healthier food that you make yourself, even if you struggle with measuring the exact calories, than it is to have unhealthy food that is causing you to struggle to hit your goals. At the end of the day, you body will do the accurate calorie counting for you.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Pick a day when he's in town and precook a bunch of meals and freeze them in single serving sizes (enter the recipes as you go). Then you have grab and go meals for when he's not around (and they are already entered, so it's quick to log). Or ask him to batch cook a bunch of meat and freeze it when it's already cooked, then you don't have to handle raw meat.

Three small appliances I have in my house that are valuable: rice cooker, 3-tier steamer, and crock pot. I love that for all three, I throw in what I'm going to eat, turn them on, then walk away! The rice cooker is about 15 minutes and the steamer is 15-30 minutes. The steamer is more work for clean up, but if you make enough to last a few meals, it's worth it (I do have a dishwasher though).