Jogging? How do you begin?

Options

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    You have gotten some great advice here. I thought I would never be a runner again after an accident and multiple surgeries. I recently started again after watching a documentary called From Fat to Finish Line on Amazon Prime. It's a story of 12 runners who collectively lost 1200 pounds and ran a Ragnar relay together. It's not the best documentary ever but it is inspiring that people of all fitness levels, shapes and sizes can become runners.

They have a program called Fat to First Mile (it's free) that I am following and it is really helpful. I am in week 5 and doing very well. It's similar to a couch to 5k program but a little less aggressive plus you can get a running mentor to talk to and get advice from. My mentor is an ultramarathoner and triathlete. They have a Facebook support group and on Sundays, they have a trainer (Rik who is featured in the documentary) go live for an hour so you can ask questions.

Jogging/running alone will not help you lose weight. Having a calorie deficit will. The running contributes to calorie burn which in turn, helps with weight loss as long you are properly tracking your calories. You will never be able to outrun poor diet choices. It also helps you build better heart and lung endurance. My resting heart beat has gone down considerably since I began. If your boyfriend is a fast runner and not comfortable running slowly, run alone until you build some endurance. If he is running longer and faster, he will probably have days with slow recovery runs - run with him then.

Things that have helped me start running again that might help you:
    • Being fitted for good quality running shoes. This is extremely important. Poor fitting shoes or ones that don't give you proper support can lead to injury. Note: after I lost my first 25 pounds, I had to be refitted.
    • Watching YouTube videos on proper form. Some might think this is silly but it helped me. I discovered the reason my knees and hips hurt when I tried to run before was because I was taking much too long of strides. With a 36 inch inseam, long strides felt natural but they were anything but when running. Having your foot fall out in front of you as you run puts unneeded stress on your joints. Your feet should fall directly below your body as you jog/run, not out in front of you. It took some practice but helped so much.
    • Going slow. No matter how slow you think you're going, you can always go slower. You can run slower than you walk. At first, you are just learning how to run without pain and with good form. The speed can come later.
    • Incorporating yoga into my training. This has increased my mobility and my flexibility which help me be a better runner. This is not required for running, just something that has helped me personally.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    looks like you've gotten good advice here.
    i used c25k, then b210k
    the right shoes are the difference between running comfortably and an injury creating expensive medical bills
    rest days are essential. let your body recover.

good luck and have fun
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I cant wait for my next running day!

Yay! You are now officially a runner!!! You should come join us in the monthly running accountability thread. They have great advice for newbies like us.
  • ferrenmariec97
    ferrenmariec97 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    where is that found at?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Jogging isnt that great, you can burn the same amount of calories walking. Try high intensity interval training. Also, I ran almost full time and got no where. I switched to lifting, and weight just fell over me.

Keep in mind, I see overweight people that are able to run 10 miles no problem. Being overweight doesnt mean you're out of shape, being overweight just means excess fat cells.

I see people all the time, a term I call skinny fat, they appear lean but have a belly. They're in shape in a sense, but their bodies hold onto those fat cells for energy reserve for distance running. Google sprinter vs marathon runner body. You'll know what I mean. Good luck, any questions, PM me I'll be glad to help!

I see people all the time, a term I call uninformed, they appear to know that they are talking about but they're mostly clueless.

iyxinhdyvbc3.png

I know. Him, and Shalene, and Des are *really* potbellied.

Except for that they're not.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have a good reply but I think we're taking away from this girls post. Here soon I'll create a topic on the subject. Good luck! Also, I'm not against running, I'm against people thinking it's the best thing for you. Any exercise is better than sitting on a couch.

not a single person on this thread has said its the 'best' thing for you... :noway:
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Thank all of you so Much! I did the "Week one workout one" on C25K last night and OMG!!! I was able to jog/run the full 8 minutes of running. It made me feel so happy and free! I never thought I would ever be able to run without crying and I DID IT! Thank you all for all of your advice! I cant wait for my next running day!

(Bringing this back on topic)

This post made me genuinely happy! It takes courage and strength to ask for help. Accepting the help can be monumentous. You rocked it! Nice job :smile:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Congratulations on getting started! How exciting! I finished C25k a couple weeks ago and just ran 3 miles this morning (it took me 35 minutes lol) I have NEVER been able to run that far/long before in my life. And I have my first official 5k race on Thanksgiving! Good luck :)
  • pro31wahine
    pro31wahine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all of the advice... Running is something im very very interested in and have always wanted to do....
    Those of you that have posted all of the motivating,positive, and uplifting posts thank you so much! ... It feels like I did a really hardcore leg day and core day. Lol It feels great! Thank You all so much!

I'm glad you've found something that works and motivates you.

Everyone here shows how they care and shares what is passionate for them.

Do what you love and you'll keep wanting to do it.

Keep us posted with updates. #GetItGirl

🌴Aloha