Soy- good or bad for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Fine.... the amount you would have to eat to get the estrogenic effect is massive!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Fine.... the amount you would have to eat to get the estrogenic effect is massive!

Not exactly. It’s more complex than that. In the studies I linked, the effects of soy isoflavones on *menopausal* people’s symptoms were observed in doses equivalent to about two servings of tofu or soy milk per day. BUT that effect is not observed in premenopausal people because their bodies are still making much more estrogen, and the observed effect is pretty small anyway. There isn’t much evidence to support use of soy for menopause symptoms, either in small or large doses.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Soy...lent green is PEOPLE!!!!

To Serve Man is a....COOK BOOK!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Same here / thyroid condition and my endocrinologist said no prob to have a few servings of tofu/soy products per week.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, the protein content is excellent and as finding enough protein is tough enough on a vegan diet, more soy. (Marinating tofu as we speak).
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm a chemist and have not been impressed with the studies the "soy is bad" folk cite. So unless you are sensitive to soy yourself (allergy or intolerance), I wouldn't worry about it. Animal studies tend to be bad science in general.

Thinking about its risk in certain diseases keeps shifting also, although fermented soy generally seems to be considered safe even then (tempeh, miso).

I myself wouldn't eat it all the time, though, it's not the only bean available.... There are also many alternatives today to soy milk that are dairy-free and high protein. So it's not hard to alternate them.

The American diet is already overloaded in soy, which is not the best situation for people tending toward food allergies. So just making sure it's not all-soy all-the-time is wise for many people, but that is also true for many other foods.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @whitpauly have you considered flax? Flaxseed contains immensely more lignans than any other food source.

Scientific evidence on flaxseed's effects on perimenopause is mixed and may not work for everyone, as hormonal situations can be wildly different. However it has helped me noticeably, and my doctor supports my using flax for peri. It has other health benefits as well. I grind 2 tablespoons daily and mix it in my overnight oats.

I also eat a fair amount of soy foods daily, mostly minimally processed ones such as tofu and soymilk. Since I ate soy in the same amount before peri, I have no idea what effects, if any, it has.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed gives me shortness of breath for some reason? Anyhoo after a week using soy milk I started getting terrible stomach probs so I guess I answered my own question <3