Yesterday’s bike ride

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
edited November 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
It was 40 degrees at the start and I couldn’t find anyone to ride with but it was too beautiful a day to stay home. This was my first solo road ride and brought me to 100 miles since getting my bike 2 months ago. 15 miles along Sinclair Inlet. You can see Mt Rainier in the middle of the 3rd pic.
1fn9b5cwk3f6.jpeg
f5mjv722y33c.jpeg
kuy8ykz30z8z.jpeg
oqso2ocuuo42.jpeg
fgnffqvgwc7j.jpeg

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Good job! My tropical blood would not have allowed me to go anywhere near an outside workout on a 40 degree day, but it does look like it was very nice out.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Outstanding!
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with @MikePTY and your friends that stayed home - it has to be 75F and rising for me...can't stand cold ears.

However, it looks like a beautiful day/area for a bike ride. Congrats on the effort.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That is pretty brave for being a recent rider.

Did you get the combo of layers right for handling the sweat?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous......we got about 15cm of snow last week which ends (prematurely) my outdoor riding season (I'm not hard core enough to ride in the snow) . If I'm lucky it may all melt and I may get to enjoy a few more rides.

You may want to invest is some warmer gloves. I have a pair of lobster claw gloves that keep my hands toasty warm well below freezing.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting out there. There is a saying I agree with:
    “There’s no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothes.”
    I don’t like being cold any more than anyone else. I also prefer summer cycling. That said a little money invested in proper gear can make winter riding very enjoyable. Windy days are a pain - but even those are manageable. I rode the other day when the temp was about 45 degrees with 15-18 mph winds and it really wasn’t too bad.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great job, @lorrpb ! :smile:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful place to ride! (Great photos; I'm envious. It's colder, pretty-ungreen, and a little white here in MI.)

I have to say, it's always fun to see recent photos of you: You're looking so amazingly fit, happy, healthy, and it seems to just keep getting moreso! (Former you wouldn't even recognize you, I'll bet.) Good show!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Awesome...

I'd definitely recommend some long fingered cycling gloves though.
  • lorrpb
    edited November 2018
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Yes it worked pretty good! I’ve actually been dressing pretty similar to hiking at the same temperature with a good wind layer.
    For those who made glove suggestions, I have fingerless cycling gloves and a pair of full fingered water/wind proof gloves I wear over them. It has worked well so far.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Good job Soldier!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »

Yes it worked pretty good! I’ve actually been dressing pretty similar to hiking at the same temperature with a good wind layer.
    For those who made glove suggestions, I have fingerless cycling gloves and a pair of full fingered water/wind proof gloves I wear over them. It has worked well so far.

Once it gets really cold, lobster gloves are really, really good. I find it a little difficult to manipulate brifters with them though
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I’ll chime in with the others. Good job on riding in the cold. 40 degrees is just about my cut off. I’m too much of a wimp, even though @stevecro has tried to get me to go colder. Looks like a great place to ride and great pics.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    tcaley4 wrote: »
    I’ll chime in with the others. Good job on riding in the cold. 40 degrees is just about my cut off. I’m too much of a wimp, even though @stevecro has tried to get me to go colder. Looks like a great place to ride and great pics.

I suppose the danger of going much colder is black ice patches, even if one can keep warm.
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Being from Arkansas we have a much higher chance of having ice, than snow. Any snow we get is gone in a couple of days.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Being from Arkansas we have a much higher chance of having ice, than snow. Any snow we get is gone in a couple of days.

Same here.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Great pictures and a nice looking bike! I"m jealous, since an early snow ended my outdoor riding and I'm now in bike trainer mode.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You, and the view, look marvellous.
    I'm so glad you are enjoying your bike.
    You're a braver woman than I going out in that temp, even if you did dress appropriately.

Cheees, h.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I did a 50 mile ride on Sunday and temps were around 6 degrees centigrade which I think is about the same as your 40? It was lovely once we got warmed up but was definitely glad to have my over booties !!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

I suppose the danger of going much colder is black ice patches, even if one can keep warm.

I'm just here to tell you all STUDDED TIRES!

I rode all winter last year without them and I can't believe how much better it is this year with studded tires. I have so much more control and traction in ice and snow that it is unbelievable. I will never ride in the winter without them again.

I'm a psycho who bike commutes in a prairie Canadian winter (and I look like a real goober on my bike in ski pants, jacket, mask, goggles, and helmet) but even if you're not as silly as I am and riding in -30, they made a huge difference if you're riding on any kind of ice or snow.

hsx9d0ztkpil.jpg