Marriage is 50/50. Right?

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
Let me preface what happened yesterday, by telling you about our trip to Vegas in August. Wife and I wanted to go to a show in Vegas, Hotel we were staying in had a deal on tickets for the show. Tickets were $189, but, through the Hotel, we got them at $69. $120 savings. So I charged it. Had a great time. Got home. Got the bill. It was for the whole $189. Wife was mad and has been going back and forth with the hotel since October.

Flash forward to the present. We were planning Thanksgiving at home. Guest list was 8. Bought a Turkey, Ham, etc. Then a week ago our daughter asked if she could bring some friends. Okay. Got the list. Her and her friends = 11. Now, we have a Thanksgiving for 19 people. No problem, Told the wife I'd pick up a Prime Rib, some extra stuff and we'd make it work. We went out yesterday to get stuff. I picked up the Prime Rib and some extra serving platters and such. Paid for it. On the way home I realized I forgot Egg Nog. She said to stop at Safeway, she would pay for the Egg Nog and a couple other things. Which came to $189.10. I said I'd pay for it, she said don't worry about it.

We get outside and she said it only cost her a dime, because the Hotel in Vegas had just sent her a debit card for the whole $189 dollars. Not just $120.

Great. I thought, shouldn't I get the Debit card since I paid for it on my credit card. That's what i thought. That's not what I said. I think I said "Great, Honey."

Replies

• xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    Marriage is supposed to be 50/50. However, many think of it more like 80/20.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Neither one of us would have flinched/second guessed...

We like to toss the "50/50" thing and say it's 100/100. Waters start getting rough when either one gives less than 100%.. just our view...

I'm of the same belief. It's paid off. 3 Decades.
  • Nicksmom106
    Nicksmom106 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Let me preface what happened yesterday, by telling you about our trip to Vegas in August. Wife and I wanted to go to a show in Vegas, Hotel we were staying in had a deal on tickets for the show. Tickets were $189, but, through the Hotel, we got them at $69. $120 savings. So I charged it. Had a great time. Got home. Got the bill. It was for the whole $189. Wife was mad and has been going back and forth with the hotel since October.

Flash forward to the present. We were planning Thanksgiving at home. Guest list was 8. Bought a Turkey, Ham, etc. Then a week ago our daughter asked if she could bring some friends. Okay. Got the list. Her and her friends = 11. Now, we have a Thanksgiving for 19 people. No problem, Told the wife I'd pick up a Prime Rib, some extra stuff and we'd make it work. We went out yesterday to get stuff. I picked up the Prime Rib and some extra serving platters and such. Paid for it. On the way home I realized I forgot Egg Nog. She said to stop at Safeway, she would pay for the Egg Nog and a couple other things. Which came to $189.10. I said I'd pay for it, she said don't worry about it.

We get outside and she said it only cost her a dime, because the Hotel in Vegas had just sent her a debit card for the whole $189 dollars. Not just $120.

Great. I thought, shouldn't I get the Debit card since I paid for it on my credit card. That's what i thought. That's not what I said. I think I said "Great, Honey."

y’all keep your money totally separate?

Not really. We have a household account where money goes into to pay all the household bills. Then we each have our own accounts. I'm on hers and she's on mine, but they are separate and to be used however we feel like it.

I think I like the part where you said, "Great, honey!"

But only if you can let it go....cuz I know a.certain someone who would bring that shot up as.much as possible...and in which case I would pay you double to tell them to shut the front door!😉

Next time she gets a lil something extra maybe you could hint around for new bells and whistles for your bike🤔 sounds fair to me!😎
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    "We get outside and she said it only cost her a dime, because the Hotel in Vegas had just sent her a debit card for the whole $189 dollars. Not just $120." - along with what @tcunbeliever said, this struck me as odd. Whose name was on the debit card? I find that a strange way to reimburse a credit card charge that was an error.
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Neither one of us would have flinched/second guessed...

We like to toss the "50/50" thing and say it's 100/100. Waters start getting rough when either one gives less than 100%.. just our view...

I'm of the same belief. It's paid off. 3 Decades.

Awesome.. Just about 3 decades for us as well!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    well if you are asking "was that fair?' no.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have one joint account so I would view it as we got a refund and we bought xyz for Thanksgiving dinner even if one of us did it. We do not have equal income but do have equal access to our money so 50/50 only applies to one side.

Sounds like your wife is the one who did the work to pursue that refund for a month and got more back than expected so it does probably feel that it is her refund victory even if you made the initial charge. Regardless you benefit just as much from the refund since it has been used for a mutually enjoyed purchase. Seems like things are pretty even in the end.
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    "We get outside and she said it only cost her a dime, because the Hotel in Vegas had just sent her a debit card for the whole $189 dollars. Not just $120." - along with what @tcunbeliever said, this struck me as odd. Whose name was on the debit card? I find that a strange way to reimburse a credit card charge that was an error.

Yes, charge should always go back to original card. This is odd.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's either 100/100 or short for this world.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    does your wife steal from you often???
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Nope. Some days it's 90/10 and some days it's 20/80 but it all balances out :) Let it go and just keep with the "great honey"
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    Just for the record. This was supposed to be humorous. Everything I have is because of my wife and is for my wife.

So is it a legit scenario?
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Just for the record. This was supposed to be humorous. Everything I have is because of my wife and is for my wife.

I knew it was a lighthearted thread, its no secret how much you adore that woman