Anyone ever do a Medical Weight Loss program?

Options
Hi there - my work has really good benefits around weight loss - they have multiple options for medically supervised diets, nutrition counseling, personal training, food sensitivity testing, and behavioral sessions. It will cost me some money out of pocket, but frankly less than I would even pay for the 42 personal training sessions.

Has anyone else ever tried these? The one I like takes a low carb, whole food type approach (vs a shake/bar etc approach.) I'm not sure if it is worth it - seems like I should maybe give it a try instead of doing this by myself.

About me - SW was 302, 9/11/18 and CW is 269, so I'm down 33 lbs in 9 or 10 weeks on my own thanks to Keto... I am however really missing my fruits and vegetables, and don't really love meat/cheese. BUT, I also think you lose faster on Keto and I certainly have a long way to go.

Replies

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Good for you on the kickoff to your target !

There are many posts here on MFP discussing calorie reduction as the main reason any of us successfully lose weight.

If your work resource for weight loss gives you tools that help you accomplish something that you cannot do on your own, you might find it worth the money.

Keto diets have their fans; I am not one of them, but that’s not to say it’s wrong for you. However there is a lot of Keto-focused posts here you can read about what others are doing with it.

Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lmm1845 wrote: »
    Hi there - my work has really good benefits around weight loss - they have multiple options for medically supervised diets, nutrition counseling, personal training, food sensitivity testing, and behavioral sessions. It will cost me some money out of pocket, but frankly less than I would even pay for the 42 personal training sessions.

Has anyone else ever tried these? The one I like takes a low carb, whole food type approach (vs a shake/bar etc approach.) I'm not sure if it is worth it - seems like I should maybe give it a try instead of doing this by myself.

About me - SW was 302, 9/11/18 and CW is 269, so I'm down 33 lbs in 9 or 10 weeks on my own thanks to Keto... I am however really missing my fruits and vegetables, and don't really love meat/cheese. BUT, I also think you lose faster on Keto and I certainly have a long way to go.

eat fruit and veg... eat in a calorie deficit, that show you lose weight, not by keto 'magic'.

if its not sustainable or a way of eating that you enjoy then it wont last.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 33 pounds! That's amazing and it does show that you can do it on your own. What I think I'm hearing is some exhaustion from the Keto way of life. I will be honest, I've done many low carb diets over the years and it's great for reducing hunger but was never sustainable for me. I think what you are really thinking is that the whole food diet at work would be more livable. If you have the money and are willing to give it a try there's no harm but be prepared for a water weight gain when you leave Keto. There are scientific reasons for this and the water issue is why people perceive the weight loss as quicker because the first few weeks deplete glycogen and you lose alot of water so as soon as you reintroduce carbs you will regain the water but not the fat you have lost. Once you get into a new routine of low calorie eating you will begin to see weight loss but it may be masked for a few weeks as your body responds to having carbs again. Whatever you decide the only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. You have to choose a lifestyle you can live with permanently because you can never go back to what used to be "normal" eating for you or you will regain the weight.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    An option I had through my work was telephonic health coaching - it was essentially an accountability partner that would check in with me every week for about 15 minutes, go over my goals and successes and challenges. It was useful but my company stopped offering that at some point. Also, at the beginning of my journey I saw a doctor who recommended doing a medifast diet, it was straightforward and had daily plans and I did that strictly for about 5 months and it worked fine. I lost a lot of weight. During that time I continued to research healthy eating plans, focused on improving my grocery shopping, learned to cook better meals for myself. Stopped drinking as much beer and soda, stopped eating fast food. Starting exercising regularly. All of that had paid off and now nearly 3 years I’m still down over 100 lbs, and though I’ve backslid a bit in the past 12 months I’m still proud of how far I’ve come.