GIVE ME FOOD

Options
Nikoruo
Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
Suggestions.
I'm mostly trying to lose fat right now... so give me some healthy healthy food suggestions. Like specifics!

per example: (such and such brand of) juice, (such and such brand) nutrient bars ect.

I obviously know fruits and veggies that i like... and lean meats haha. as for those you can give me suggested recipies? I dont like spicy foods, mushrooms, green peppers, red peppers or sea food at all basically. so good healthy (carb, fat and protein considerate) meals.

but i digress, back to the main point. What are some good healthy food choices and alternatives? I'm trying to watch my protein, carbs, and fat. I need to mostly lower my carbs, on average my fats are ok and my proteins need to be raised a bit.

so give me some suggestions for:

quick easy snacks for work (besides fruits so like healthy bars or whatnot)

any good shakes i can make?

are their any better alternatives for juice? (always having plain water is getting borrring! i want something different sometimes! haha)

so any healthy foods you can think of besides the typical fruits/veggies/lean meats would be great! I hope this is very clear @_@ haha. Going shopping tonight and hoping to save a bit of browsing time by asking all you experts here (lol?) :)thanks again!!

Replies

• CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I saw "Bring Me Food" and immediately thought you wanted pizza and lasagna! LOL... Ok fine, so for drinks, try propel zero, they have a ton of flavors, taste good and most are 0 calories though some have like 30 calories per serving depending on which ones you get, it'll break up the monotony. For snacks, try different rice cakes. I like the caramel ones myself, not expensive and low on calories.
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    I saw "Bring Me Food" and immediately thought you wanted pizza and lasagna! LOL... Ok fine, so for drinks, try propel zero, they have a ton of flavors, taste good and most are 0 calories though some have like 30 calories per serving depending on which ones you get, it'll break up the monotony. For snacks, try different rice cakes. I like the caramel ones myself, not expensive and low on calories.
    hahaha no no i'm ok on that, pizza is a good thing tho ;) haha. ok i'll look into those :D thanks~! i keep having fruits which is good but i am trying to learn a bit of variety haha :3
  • missy0936
    missy0936 Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    LARA or LUNA BARS

Iced Tea sweetened with Stevia

Cooking lights Vegetarian Lasagna Roll Ups
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My go-to lately has been cottage cheese (I buy a large tub at Costco but measure it out to 1/3 C or 1/2 C each serving) with 1/2 to whole banana, strawberries, blueberries... whatever you have on hand.

For Protein bars, I like Power Crunch vanilla crème.

And check under the Recipes tab for more meal suggestions. I bumped this thread for my reference (although some is pasta, there's a lot about cooking different veggies & lean meat):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058200-need-cheap-recipes-for-large-family

I mostly drink water. I'm curious about the flavor enhancers, like Mio, but have no idea what sugars or additives are in those things. You can also do flavor infused water using lemons or limes or different fruits.

Somewhere online I've seen a list of negative calorie foods (so low calorie that your body burns more calories processing the foods than the food has in calories)... the only two I remember off the top of my head right now are watermelon and cucumbers.

You can have cucumbers or carrots with hummus.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    What about those Weight Watchers and Lean Cuisine TV dinners? They're around 84 cents and under 300 calories. Different ratios for different entrees. Brand names are different in different areas, i.e. people mention Trader Joe's a lot, and there's no such thing in my parts, so I can't be specific in any suggestions.
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    Suggestions.
    I'm mostly trying to lose fat right now... so give me some healthy healthy food suggestions. Like specifics!

per example: (such and such brand of) juice, (such and such brand) nutrient bars ect.

I obviously know fruits and veggies that i like... and lean meats haha. as for those you can give me suggested recipies? I dont like spicy foods, mushrooms, green peppers, red peppers or sea food at all basically. so good healthy (carb, fat and protein considerate) meals.

but i digress, back to the main point. What are some good healthy food choices and alternatives? I'm trying to watch my protein, carbs, and fat. I need to mostly lower my carbs, on average my fats are ok and my proteins need to be raised a bit.

so give me some suggestions for:

quick easy snacks for work (besides fruits so like healthy bars or whatnot)

any good shakes i can make?

are their any better alternatives for juice? (always having plain water is getting borrring! i want something different sometimes! haha)

so any healthy foods you can think of besides the typical fruits/veggies/lean meats would be great! I hope this is very clear @_@ haha. Going shopping tonight and hoping to save a bit of browsing time by asking all you experts here (lol?) :)thanks again!!

The whole point is eating what you like and still be at the weight range you want to be. You have to find it out all by yourself.
    well yes of course but it doesn't hurt to find out what kind of foods others liked and learned from. i am trying out a bunch on my own but a nice head start couldn't hurt right :)
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    LARA or LUNA BARS

Iced Tea sweetened with Stevia

Cooking lights Vegetarian Lasagna Roll Ups
    i heard about luna bars actually, i got told only some of them are good for you but others hide a lot of unhealthy stuff. ill look into it furthar. as for iced tea with stevia, i don't think i've seen that around but i'll have a look. Iced tea is great. :)

ill also have a look at that for when i feel like some lasagna :)
    thanks for the suggestions! :)
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    My go-to lately has been cottage cheese (I buy a large tub at Costco but measure it out to 1/3 C or 1/2 C each serving) with 1/2 to whole banana, strawberries, blueberries... whatever you have on hand.

And check under the Recipes tab for more meal suggestions. I bumped this thread for my reference (although some is pasta, there's a lot about cooking different veggies & lean meat):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058200-need-cheap-recipes-for-large-family

I mostly drink water. I'm curious about the flavor enhancers, like Mio, but have no idea what sugars or additives are in those things. You can also do flavor infused water using lemons or limes or different fruits.

Somewhere online I've seen a list of negative calorie foods (so low calorie that your body burns more calories processing the foods than the food has in calories)... the only two I remember off the top of my head right now are watermelon and cucumbers.

you can put cottage cheese in a smoothie? now i do have to try that, i think it'd be enjoyable. do you add water to it with the fruits? or ice?

I haven't seen that bar around in the nutrition store i dont think but i wrote it down to have another look :)

thank you very much for that link, i will also book mark it!

From what i know there's a mio thats low carbs low sugar but i think it makes up for it with a lot of sodium, i'll check in on this when i head to the store :)

I have recently tried making a lemon tea with half a teaspoon of honey and it was really good :) my favorite infused water has got to be lemon so far but that is a very good idea to look into :)

Thank you so much for your comment!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Current faves for protein are Yoplait nonfat Greek yogurt (the blue tub, not the purple), Jack's turkey jerky, Blue Diamond raw almonds and Life Choice mint chocolate bars (really more of a meal replacement than a snack for me).

There's also a great website called Skinnytaste.com that has great recipes that are modified to be healthier with a very clear index so you can go straight to the type of meat/nutrition concern/meal you're looking for.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I think the suggestion was to brew iced tea and sweeten it with stevia. I like to put a tb of chia seeds, some lemon juice, and stevia in about 20 oz of water, let sit ten mins, mix up and drink. Kill my junk food cravings dead.

I personally love cottage cheese. I get hood no salt added if I can afford it or store brand if not. If I can, I mix 1/2 c of cottage zcheese, a pack of stevia, some cinnamon, some chopped strawberries and the edible portion of a half cantaloupe. I put it back into the cantaloupe and use it as a bowl :p It looks cute! And a lot of vitamins and low cals.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Look up recipes with Quinoa. There's a good greek Quinoa salad floating around the internet somewhere.

30g of almonds with a 50-100g apple
    1 string cheese with some whole wheat crackers
    Avocado, tomato and sharp cheddar cheese sandwich
    Cottage cheese and salsa or cantaloupe
    Greek yogurt, 1/8-1/4 cup of granola and 1/4-1/2 cup of blueberries or raspberries
    16g of peanut butter on a caramel rice cake and 35-50g of banana sliced on top
    Two scrambled eggs and a side of 40g of oatmeal with 1 tsp of dark brown sugar and 2 tsp of ground flax
    Ants on a log
    Veggies and hummus
    Salad with chicken, corn, black beans, avocado, tortilla strips and salsa for dressing

I dunno, these are things I eat regularly.
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    What about those Weight Watchers and Lean Cuisine TV dinners? They're around 84 cents and under 300 calories. Different ratios for different entrees. Brand names are different in different areas, i.e. people mention Trader Joe's a lot, and there's no such thing in my parts, so I can't be specific in any suggestions.
    i have heard about this little dinners but i've also been told that they are very deceiving. Like the portions they give to you to eat is half of the pack or something. i still have yet to look into this but thanks for the reminder, i'll have a look at the store tonight :)

thanks so much!
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    Current faves for protein are Yoplait nonfat Greek yogurt (the blue tub, not the purple), Jack's turkey jerky, Blue Diamond raw almonds and Life Choice mint chocolate bars (really more of a meal replacement than a snack for me).

There's also a great website called Skinnytaste.com that has great recipes that are modified to be healthier with a very clear index so you can go straight to the type of meat/nutrition concern/meal you're looking for.

ohh, i've tried greek yogurt and that is a good one. all great suggestions, they are on my list.

thank you for the site!! that is beyond helpful! :) saved in bookmarks~ ! :)
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    I think the suggestion was to brew iced tea and sweeten it with stevia. I like to put a tb of chia seeds, some lemon juice, and stevia in about 20 oz of water, let sit ten mins, mix up and drink. Kill my junk food cravings dead.

I personally love cottage cheese. I get hood no salt added if I can afford it or store brand if not. If I can, I mix 1/2 c of cottage zcheese, a pack of stevia, some cinnamon, some chopped strawberries and the edible portion of a half cantaloupe. I put it back into the cantaloupe and use it as a bowl :p It looks cute! And a lot of vitamins and low cals.

ohh, i guess that makes sense then, fixed it up haha. I've actually been looking for chia seeds because i heard they are soo good for you... but i can't seem to find them. i looked at loblaws and all they had was chia tea. I went to GNC nutrition store and they didn't have them either. Any suggestions? sounds like a great idea. :)

i think cottage cheese plain is something to get used to but definitely worth it.
    p.s that sounds so delicious :) i'll definately have to try it!

thank you for your comment :D
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    Look up recipes with Quinoa. There's a good greek Quinoa salad floating around the internet somewhere.

30g of almonds with a 50-100g apple
    1 string cheese with some whole wheat crackers
    Avocado, tomato and sharp cheddar cheese sandwich
    Cottage cheese and salsa or cantaloupe
    Greek yogurt, 1/8-1/4 cup of granola and 1/4-1/2 cup of blueberries or raspberries
    16g of peanut butter on a caramel rice cake and 35-50g of banana sliced on top
    Two scrambled eggs and a side of 40g of oatmeal with 1 tsp of dark brown sugar and 2 tsp of ground flax
    Ants on a log
    Veggies and hummus
    Salad with chicken, corn, black beans, avocado, tortilla strips and salsa for dressing

I dunno, these are things I eat regularly.
    you have a delicious selection of foods that i think i would love to try o.o i bought some flax seed oil and its good to see i could use that somewhere haha. I'm sure i'll try pretty much all of these so i'm saving them on a note haha.

as for quinoa i have heard of this before and that i should get it. any suggestions where to buy it? i'll be looking at walmart and loblaws today i think

thanks for your comment! :)
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    <snip>
    as for quinoa i have heard of this before and that i should get it. any suggestions where to buy it? i'll be looking at walmart and loblaws today i think

thanks for your comment! :)

You can find it pretty much anywhere you find grains. Sometimes they're in a health food aisle.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

you can put cottage cheese in a smoothie? now i do have to try that, i think it'd be enjoyable. do you add water to it with the fruits? or ice?

I haven't seen that bar around in the nutrition store i dont think but i wrote it down to have another look :)

thank you very much for that link, i will also book mark it!

From what i know there's a mio thats low carbs low sugar but i think it makes up for it with a lot of sodium, i'll check in on this when i head to the store :)

I have recently tried making a lemon tea with half a teaspoon of honey and it was really good :) my favorite infused water has got to be lemon so far but that is a very good idea to look into :)

Thank you so much for your comment!

The cottage cheese I eat as is with the fruit - but - I LOVE making a frozen concoction that's an ice cream consistency using frozen bananas. You can add 1 T of peanut butter for some extra protein and good fats (I'm currently liking Natural Jif for the better list of ingredients) and I sometimes add 1T ground flaxseed and occasionally add 1 T of Hersheys syrup (if we have it in the house).

I also make a smoothie with frozen banana, frozen cherries (pretty inexpensive at Trader Joes) with a 1/2 scoop of Whey Protein powder that my hubby buys at Costco.

The Power Crunch bars I've purchased at Walmart, 7 Eleven, and Safeway (grocery store).

I also second Quinoa. We buy it at Costco but can be found almost any grocery store or Target. Prices vary A LOT! We cook our quinoa in our rice cooker and add just a pinch of chicken boullion for flavor. Tons of quinoa recipes on Pinterest.

:)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

I've never found those meals for $0.84 cents.