Wierd Question but I'm very curious

Options
Are there any weight losers out there that feel like they lost size in their calves?

I am about 30 pounds into my weight loss journey from 200 pounds to 140. And I HATE MY CALVES. I feel like they are big and I'm afraid once I am thin they will look too big for my body. They aren't getting bigger. I am careful not to do exercises that would increase their muscle mass but since they haven't gotten any smaller in the 30 pounds I have lost if they will go down at all...

Replies

• Junie2013
    Options
    I'm going to leave this one for the experts, but I just wanted to commiserate. Whenever I have lost weight in the past, the calves have gone down in the same proportion.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
    We are all genetically programmed to have different body shapes. Some have more shapely calves. I envy you, honestly. It's tough for me to put on any kind of leg shape other than "stick".

You can't control how and where you lose first. Just keep going, you'll be happiest with the end result if you are at a healthier body weight in general.
  • IronAngel26pt2
    IronAngel26pt2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    how do you know they have not gotten smaller? did you measure?
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    If you genetically have big calves you are stuck with them. Even at my lowest weight I have never been able to wear tall boots my calves are just too large.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I've actually lost about an inch so far in my calves. I've also gone down a 1/2 size in my shoes, but not so much in my hips! The point is we can't choose where we lose, it comes off where it will. I wouldn't worry that your calves will look too big for your body, I would think that when you get to your ideal weight your shape and all body parts will match!
  • debilee12
    debilee12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Missy0936, I have lost considerably in my calves and thighs. I'm down 50+ lbs since February and was amazed at the weight loss not only in my calves and thighs, but I went from a 7 1/2 WW in shoes to a 7 regular!! Of course, I don't know your stature, but I've had large thighs my whole life to where I couldn't even find tall boots to fit around them. Don't think it will be a problem this year!! Good luck in your weight loss and keep up the good work!! :wink:
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of crop trousers about 6 weeks ago and on wearing them for the first time noticed that they were tight around my calves, so much so that I had to pull them down every time I stood up after sitting. Now 6 weeks later not only do they slip off my waist, they are loose around my calves and I do not have to do the ritual of pulling them down all the time!
  • missy0936
    missy0936 Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    yes. I did measure... to the cm... in some cases they've gotten bigger...

THANKS EVERYONE for all your input. Hopefully they will go down and it's not a genetic. Its hard cause not many family members of mine have been big and then lost weight.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Hi! My start weight was 225 pounds, I'm now 169 pounds. I walk all the time, run steps, did Zumba for a while, but haven't been to class in a couple months. That being said, my calf's slimmed down tremendously! My thighs are still huge, but they are smoother, less lumpy, and easier to shave. So my problem area is my fat thighs I hate my them!