Romaine Lettuce CDC in USA 11-20-18 New Alert Throw all Romaine out until Further Notice

Options
It seems there is a new ECOLI Outbreak in the USA, where a number of people have been hospitalized in last few weeks. Lucky so far no one has died. But the CDC has put out an alert to throw out all Romaine Lettuce regardless if in a bag, or a head. And washing it will not take care of issue.

Is my favorite oh well, better to be safe.

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I’m eating it anyways lol. No one can take my 6lb+ salads from me lol.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Locally grown head from the farmers market- still a risk?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    *reads this five minutes after giant dinner salad*
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    If I've already eaten some from the head, and had no bad result, is there really a risk to eating more?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I had romaine today at lunch (big salad I bought -- and I have arugula, spinach, and butter lettuce at home, no romaine). Argh. So far so good and at least nothing to toss.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess this answers my question:
    CDC is advising that U.S. consumers not eat any romaine lettuce, and retailers and restaurants not serve or sell any, until we learn more about the outbreak. This investigation is ongoing and the advice will be updated as more information is available.
    Consumers who have any type of romaine lettuce in their home should not eat it and should throw it away, even if some of it was eaten and no one has gotten sick.
    This advice includes all types or uses of romaine lettuce, such as whole heads of romaine, hearts of romaine, and bags and boxes of precut lettuce and salad mixes that contain romaine, including baby romaine, spring mix, and Caesar salad.
    If you do not know if the lettuce is romaine or whether a salad mix contains romaine, do not eat it and throw it away.
    Restaurants and retailers should not serve or sell any romaine lettuce, including salads and salad mixes containing romaine.
    People with symptoms of an E. coli infection, such as severe stomach cramps, diarrhea (often bloody), and vomiting, and think you might have gotten sick from eating romaine lettuce, should talk to their doctor and report their illness to the health department.
    This investigation is ongoing and CDC will provide more information as it becomes available.

What a waste.
    But throwing it away even though it's likely OK is better than getting horrifically sick.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It's pricey, but if you can get to a store with a large kosher section, Bodek pre-checked, pre-washed lettuce is e-coli free.

659wwio2aupm.png

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I am going to try to return the two bags of Spring Mix that I bought yesterday (Fresh Express). The one that I had open is already in the garbage. Nobody got sick this week but I have company, and I am not taking a chance.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Just a note,
    Canada is advising too.
    The east coast has had some problems.

Cheers, h.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    The second time this year with Romaine.
    I pretty much buy Romaine exclusively. It seems to last longer. Great with baby arugula. Sigh, I have a big salad every day.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    My aunt works for the CDC and she says that by the time the recall starts all of the outbreaks and cases have happened weeks ago and the outbreak is over. Most of the time the food is just fine by the time a recall happens, but they still do as a precaution.

However, I still won't eat any! I do find it very interesting she is always comfortable eating things that are recalled, but I don't think it is smart at all, lol. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Just a note,
    Canada is advising too.
    The east coast has had some problems.

Cheers, h.

Not news to anyone in Canada.

Oh, you mean with lettuce.

:D
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member