Calories or Macros

Options
When staring out should I just concentrate on calories and ignore all the macro stuff??

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and whether specific macros help with health or satiety.

I looked mainly at macros at first because it helped control my appetite so I had to worry about calories less. YMMV.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, you need to make sure that you're consistently staying within your calorie goal.

Macros are not directly relevant for weight loss. Macros matter for health and satiety. It's important to get enough protein, and many people feel fuller if they eat protein and/or fat.

But as far as weight loss itself is concerned, calories are what matters.
  • pro31wahine
    pro31wahine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My opinion and for me, consider both in your choices. Low calorie and yet beneficial macros.

Look toward living water rich foods and choose water instead of other drinks.

Good luck girl!

Keep us posted with your progress.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    calories
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Marceeya wrote: »
    When staring out should I just concentrate on calories and ignore all the macro stuff??

Calories are what determines whether you lose weight or not, so focus on them first. Many folks here lost weight just by calories, not paying attention to macros at all.

Macros can affect satiety, compliance, and health. In other words, they can help. Many of us look at our protein and fat goals as minimums, and let carbs fall where they may.

I started out just hitting my calorie goal. Eventually I learned from my diary that I was less hungry when I hit or came close to my protein and fiber goals, so I started paying attention to that too. Macro preferences differ person to person, so you kind of have to learn what works best for you as you go.

Welcome and good luck!
  • Marceeya
    Marceeya Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! I think I’ll focus the first couple of months on calories. Don’t want to go batty with this🤪. Now I need to work on my game plan.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Calories are the most important factor for weight loss, so eat some semblance of a reasonably balanced diet and focus on calories first. You can refine the macro intake as you go - the MFP default macros aren’t the most optimal for everybody, and you can go into your settings and change them to fit your wants/needs.