Garden thread

Options

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    pabmac wrote: »
    smflvvguidgm.jpeg
    We found some surprise squash volunteers! We had some extra soil so we piled it around them and made a new bed. They’re probably some strange accidental hybrid, but I’m excited about it anyway 😅

Love it :) I'm always finding surprise plantings throughout my garden. This year I have tomato plants springing up in my new strawberry bed. :) I'm just pulling them because my regular tomato plants are turning into bushes. I throw everything into my compost pile all year long and then just throw the compost into my garden as needed so we never know what's going to come to life. A few years ago we had something curious growing and finally figured out it was trying to be a honeydew melon. :)

So good luck with your squash newcomers!!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,188 Member
    Options
    pabmac wrote: »
    smflvvguidgm.jpeg
    We found some surprise squash volunteers! We had some extra soil so we piled it around them and made a new bed. They’re probably some strange accidental hybrid, but I’m excited about it anyway 😅

Don't get too optimistic. Squash don't seem to breed true unless you do it intentionally. It's hard to imagine it was over 20 years ago, but it was -- we had a volunteer squash we let live. We kept trying to figure out what it was. It looked like some kind of hybrid zucchini. We ate a few; they didn't seem to taste "right" and the flesh didn't look right either. We let some grow a little longer. They were some kind of winter squash as it turns out!

Last year my friend gave me a winter squash start. I don't remember if she said it was a butternut or an acorn or what, but I put it in the garden. It never looked right. It was... a cantaloupe. Yep. She's trying to get better with her labels!

This year I planted a few known tomatoes, and I also ended up with some "mystery" starts. I planted them out in among other plants and out in the fruit trees to see if they would fend for themselves. I'm not that invested in them, but I'll probably get some stakes and stake them up and water them a little. They aren't volunteers, but I have no idea what they are. There's a 50% chance they are San Marzano.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I found a few more heat casualties in that I had to snip off about half a dozen tomatoes yesterday. Blossom end rot. But there are a bunch more that look fine. There are also zucchini and eggplant coming - about half a dozen each. Raspberries are ripening. And I somehow kept the soil moist enough that the beets I re-planted are starting to make an appearance. The temperature has finally moderated, so hopefully that's the worst of it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I found a few more heat casualties in that I had to snip off about half a dozen tomatoes yesterday. Blossom end rot. But there are a bunch more that look fine. There are also zucchini and eggplant coming - about half a dozen each. Raspberries are ripening. And I somehow kept the soil moist enough that the beets I re-planted are starting to make an appearance. The temperature has finally moderated, so hopefully that's the worst of it.

IMU, blossom end rot is more often inconsistent moisture and/or calcium deficiency in the soil? Might want to supplement non-harsh calcium (dolomitic limestone, bonemeal, powder-ized eggshells . . . ), though testing & liming before planting is more optimal. Also, I've read that the earliest tomatoes are somewhat more likely to BER, because it's a higher-stress growth period. Observation-wise, it was more likely to happen for me if we'd had steady heavy rains.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    Options
    Inconsistent moisture in this case. At 37C the soil was dessicating between waterings.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    "Well, there's egg and beans; egg bacon and beans; egg bacon sausage and beans; beans bacon sausage and beans; beans egg beans beans bacon and beans; beans sausage beans beans bacon beans tomato and beans..."

Umm... beans are in. :)
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    @MsCzar Our beans are just barely losing their blossoms but it looks like we won't be lacking in the bean department either.
    And today I picked my first zucchini, I was so excited! But I'll likely feel different in a couple more weeks. :)
  • rossalexandraxcd
    rossalexandraxcd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a garden, or rather, of course, it is difficult to call it a garden. In my backyard there is a large lawn that I take care of, and another tree. The tree is very old, but I like everything )
  • rossalexandraxcd
    rossalexandraxcd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have several fruit trees; it is very convenient to have my fruits, my wife likes to collect them. I have several Ambassador roses. I'm thinking of expanding their number, and I don't know how many I'll add yet. There is also a beautiful lawn that was planted last year. The seeds of which I bought from this site https://www.growgardener.com/the-5-best-kentucky-bluegrass-seeds-for-your-lawn/. I'm thinking of making a small pond with different fish, crayfish and jugs. When I was a child, my grandfather also had a pond, and I liked to feed the fish in the morning and watch them swim.
    stop using links in your comments
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I have several fruit trees; it is very convenient to have my fruits, my wife likes to collect them. I have several Ambassador roses. I'm thinking of expanding their number, and I don't know how many I'll add yet. There is also a beautiful lawn that was planted last year. The seeds of which I bought from this site https://www.growgardener.com/the-5-best-kentucky-bluegrass-seeds-for-your-lawn/. I'm thinking of making a small pond with different fish, crayfish and jugs. When I was a child, my grandfather also had a pond, and I liked to feed the fish in the morning and watch them swim.
    stop using links in your comments

Here's when someone can't use links, would not apply to the poster you are complaining about, unless they own growgardener.com:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/community-guidelines

7. To advertise or not to advertise? (Not to advertise!)

I WILL:

I will understand that posts containing links to offsite blog posts and social media are considered advertisements.

I will report posts I believe to be advertising.

I WON'T:

I won’t post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which an associate or myself might benefit financially or otherwise.

I won’t solicit off-forum contact from which I might benefit, i.e., "message me for more info."

I won’t request or solicit for donations, not even requests for charitable contributions.

I won’t post or use this service to promote websites that compete with MyFitnessPal.

I won’t respond to advertisers.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    "Well, there's egg and beans; egg bacon and beans; egg bacon sausage and beans; beans bacon sausage and beans; beans egg beans beans bacon and beans; beans sausage beans beans bacon beans tomato and beans..."

Umm... beans are in. :)

I'm about a month behind you!

jvym3dutr0vy.png
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I just picked beans yesterday. I have never grown them. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I find them to be a pain to pick? But wow. They are delicious! I had no idea that they would be ready so soon. I was watering and when I pushed the plants aside, beans revealed themselves! I'm pulling carrots, and the lettuce is pretty much done due to consistent heat. But lots of green tomatoes, so I'll have them to look forward to! Sadly, many berries were scorched in the intense heat a couple of weeks ago. Mostly marion and boysenberry, two favorites :(
  • ReenieHJ
    edited July 2021
    Options
    My green beans are ready and got plenty to share. :) Onions are growing well, tomatoes are getting bigger but losing lots of lower stems so hopefully they'll ripen before the whole thing disappears. Zucchini are doing well, as are the green peppers and hot peppers. My sweet potatoes are actually perking up and doing well now. Can't wait to see what they do because this is the 1st time I've ever planted them. And my cucumbers are trailing and blossoming. So my garden has become a happy growing little place.

My strawberries didn't do as well as they did last year. Someone told us they do really ell every other year then that alternate year can be iffy. Any truth to that?
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    @SuzanneC1l9zz It's an amazing feeling isn't it? To create something very good, natural and healthy, save money in the process and watch it grow. I love gardening and wish I knew more about it. :) That, plus wish I had a much bigger area for it. I could feed a lot of people. :)
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    Options
    @ReenieHJ it really is!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,188 Member
    Options
    I planted radishes today. And spinach for fall, but it's probably a week or three too early. And the second round of winter beets.

First ripe Sungold tomatoes the other day. Yum. San Marzanos are all still green.

Totally gorged myself on blueberries. I got behind on picking them.

Raspberries -- the primacanes seem to be done. Overheated a few weeks ago. But the floracanes are growing like mad; I cut them back to five or six feet today so I can reach whatever fruits.

Grapes are starting to look good.

Peas. Poor things. All toasty. I will plant some for fall, but need to figure out when.

Bartlet pears might be ripe soon. Figs? Who knows. Asian pears (Chojuro) ripen later. Plums are just falling off the tree unripe. I think it was the heat. Marion berries... all dried up and crinkly. Heat. Mint is doing fine. As is the flatweed; I wish I knew a good way to kill the crap out of it.

Enjoying the volunteer nasturtium. Different colors even than the parent plants I had last year. Fun stuff. I'll try to spread them some more this year. Calendula comes up everywhere. I don't mind. I weed it where it's in the way, and I nurture it where it's not.

One of the lavender plants is very nice right now. The other is done; I should deadhead it to see if it will bloom again.

My neighbor brought a couple hives home. Her girls really like one of my water stations. Always bees and wasps out there. Nice. Birds too. Some of the birds like to snack on the bees. Yah. I know. It's the birds and the bees.....