Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    1l3l3ojizd1i.png

Hahaha 🤣
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    This year, I had so much location work in early spring, I don't have nearly the number of seedlings as usual. My eggplant, pepper, cucumber and dill seeds all failed; so my pepper garden will come courtesy of the local greenhouse. This year's garden: cantaloupe, tomatoes (cherry and beefsteak), green beans, green onions, mint, oregano, thyme, basil, sage, beets, kale and Swiss chard. Looks like the crab apple trees will produce will this year, so crab apple jelly and natural pectin should be happening in autumn. Waiting on wild black raspberries to ripen. No cukes since I still have a whole wall 'o last year's pickles in the pantry.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I can't ever upload pictures from my phone. So, I'll show some pictures another day. But, I have Roma tomatoes growing, eggplant and straightneck squash. The tomato plant is crowding out two of the pepper plants but I staked it up a little bit more and I'll add some more support later this week.

I have watermelon plants, had absolutely no idea what I would be getting when I bought them. But they're viney, like grow all over the dirt. Pretty interesting, one is getting so long that I had to drape it over the garden bed's edge and it will grow down on to the ground. Some of the stuff I'm growing is purely trial and error, as I've never grown it before.

I've got some mint (spearmint and chocolate), rosemary, lavender and some other random little tidbits in pots growing, too. Only one I'm concerned about is basil but I've read or heard it's a slower grower, so...
  • MsCzar
    Options
    Does anyone know what veggie grows well in perpetually wet soil? Seeing the first volunteer tomatoes pop up here and there. I have space in the Rising Damp Zone, but know tomato roots will surely rot there. If that area won't host veggies, I may just move some mint there. Any ideas?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Does anyone know what veggie grows well in perpetually wet soil? Seeing the first volunteer tomatoes pop up here and there. I have space in the Rising Damp Zone, but know tomato roots will surely rot there. If that area won't host veggies, I may just move some mint there. Any ideas?

Could you hill up some vining things, or is it too wet for that? (In case you're not familiar, this is making a heap of soil, possible enriched, with a flat top & sides a few inches tall, then planting several seeds of squash, cucumber, or that sort of thing in the soil of the hill. If they're bush type varieties, they'll stay close to the hill, but vining ones would spread beyond.)
  • MsCzar
    Options
    Hmm... hilling up...
    < reconsiders cucumbers >
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the name of the system, it might have originated in Germany. As well as building up soil they started by laying out dried off tree/hedge trimmings and the like, again, I can't remember the maximum diameter. Possibly its an alternative to having raised edges to beds.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hmm... hilling up...
    < reconsiders cucumbers >

OK, then, intermediate/advanced hilling: Sink a clean gallon milk jug with a few holes in the bottom in the center of the hill. When water's required, if that's a thing in your damp area, put the water in the jug for trickle-watering. You can even put fertilizer (organic if that's your thing) in the jug occasionally as needed. Cap loosely on the jug slows the flow, but is optional. After seeding, a cloche or HotKap (official or improvised) may speed germination.

** If you don't know what HotKaps are, not that you need the official brand-name ones:

https://www.originalhotkaps.com/
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,226 Member
    Options

Asparagus?
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I took a picture of my artichoke patch the other day, but I decided not to post it because it looks like so many other pictures of my artichoke patch I've posted over the years....

I may have missed it in your earlier artichoke posts, but do you normally eat them plain or with a dip of some sort? I enjoy grilled artichokes, but feel like they are mostly a vehicle for fat since I usually make some sort of lemon/mayonnaise sauce to go with it.
  • Brigit02
    Brigit02 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I took a picture of my artichoke patch the other day, but I decided not to post it because it looks like so many other pictures of my artichoke patch I've posted over the years....

I may have missed it in your earlier artichoke posts, but do you normally eat them plain or with a dip of some sort? I enjoy grilled artichokes, but feel like they are mostly a vehicle for fat since I usually make some sort of lemon/mayonnaise sauce to go with it.

Easiest thing I do is just steam them. Note; put them upside down in the pot! I sometimes make a dip of lemon garlic butter, but they really don't need it if I cook them right when I harvest. They have so much flavor! I can par cook them and then roast them if it's cool enough to run the oven. For a while, I'd steam them to half cooked, slice in half, and then put them in the smoker. My smoker died. Roasted in the oven is really nice; it does help to briefly steam them first.

No, mostly I steam three at a time and dig in. The ants give a little spicy flavor, but I don't like the earwigs. The come swimming out when I immerse them in water before I cook them. I don't use pesticide.

And OK -- a picture from the other day:

g3vrimuqd3ty.jpg

Looks like raspberries will be ripe in two weeks. Mmmmm.

Love this picture! Only growing herbs, cucumbers and blueberries this year. Maybe I'll grow artichokes next year? They're amazing.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I'm not mtaratoot, and I like them plain like he does or with just a little lemon or a light vinegar, but if you prefer a dip and are willing to experiment, I had some once in a restaurant that had a roasted red pepper dip that was really nice. The roasted red peppers were pureed, I'm sure there was salt, not sure what else - I'll bet a web or Pinterest search would turn up some light dip recipes. Here's one simple example I found that way (that I haven't tried making, just an example):

https://theskinnyfork.com/blog/roasted-red-pepper-dip