Hot flashes and weight loss - any connection?

Options
I'm eleven (11) weeks into my weight loss journey, and am successfully progressing downwards. I've been maintaining the current weight for the last nine days, as a test of my ability to maintain a weight. (21 pounds gone of 60 pounds total excess) (62yo, f, 5'4", sedentary, SW 199, CW 177, GW 140). I'll be cutting back a bit more next week

In the last three weeks, the post-menopausal hot flashes have increased quite a bit. I'd already endured 15 years of it, and in the last year it had decreased from a multi-times-per-day occurrence, to once a week or so, usually triggered by spicy foods or alcohol.

I"m back to the multi-times-per-day and the weight loss program is the significant difference in my life between then and now.

Anyone else run into this while losing weight? I'm thinking also that my thyroid and cholesterol med levels should be rechecked, and maybe that could be some or all of the cause.

thanks for your thoughts on this.

Replies

• chatnoir89
    chatnoir89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I get hotflashes and chills when my blood sugar rises and falls... Getting your blood sugar, cholesterol and thyroid checked would be wise. Be careful to eat slow burning carbs before a workout and you may not feel the effect of feeling your blood sugar change.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I can't help you. Mine are from being peri menopausal, not weight loss. You can always ask your GP to run blood tests and/or get their opinion.
  • CharlieICURN
    CharlieICURN Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I’m in surgical menopause and take HRT which helps the symptoms (I’m only 33 and lost my ovaries, tubes and uterus). A few months after surgery I needed to have my HRT adjusted because I lost a lot of weight and started getting horrible hot flashes and night sweats. I think because my fat stores decreased it made my estrogen levels drop maybe.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I’m in surgical menopause and take HRT which helps the symptoms (I’m only 33 and lost my ovaries, tubes and uterus). A few months after surgery I needed to have my HRT adjusted because I lost a lot of weight and started getting horrible hot flashes and night sweats. I think because my fat stores decreased it made my estrogen levels drop maybe.

I appreciate the idea bout the hormone change. Agree that an estrogen drop is a valid possible cause. I didn’t have much as it was, based on the last meds that checked those levels.

I will add some more soy into my diet to see if that helps at all.

Also I will check with my dr as was already suggested.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    i get them right b4 i get a whoosh. many people do prior to a whoosh. i am not menopausal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 52 and waiting impatiently for hot flashes and other signs of menopause. No flashes at all - but I do run hot, and I think hotter this winter than last. If I'm drinking tea, I'm perfectly comfortable with the thermostat set at 63 degrees. I turn it up to 65 under protest.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, it's true that body fat is a significant promoter of post-menopause estrogen. (That body-fat-related estrogen is believed to be one reason obesity increases breast cancer risk pre- and post-, I think .) Presumably fat loss decreases that estrogen production?

I didn't notice more hot flashes with weight loss, but the response to estrogen levels shifts does seem to be individualized.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help. I don't get hot flashes any more. I had hot flashes during perimenopause, but once menopause hit, I was cold all the time and it's been worse since I've lost weight.
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    @amy19355 I’d go to the dr , there is a good chance your doses will decrease as your weight drops. After 10 pounds lost my pain medication requirements dropped ,

Oh hormones we can’t live without you or with you .....🌼
  • VickiZei
    VickiZei Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I’ve wondered this too. I also think there is a connection to blood glucose levels. I’m 56 and haven’t had hot flashes but I have night sweats every morning about 4am. If I happen to have nights that are especially bad with more night sweats it’s usually during a time when I’m losing weight faster. I also know that it’s common for blood sugar to rise in the early morning. I don’t remember what it’s called but it’s the body getting ready to wake up so your blood sugar rises to give you energy first thing in the am. This is generally what’s happening when a diabetic wakes up with high blood sugar.