How effective is walking as cardion between weight lifting sessions?

Options
Hey guys, I have been recently getting into weight training and decided to do weight 3x a week, 2x a week cardio and 2x a week rest day. Due to my injury, I am not able to run or practice on the elliptical, and I can't ride my bike during the winter, so I am looking for new ways of cardio exercise. How effective is walking for cardio and how long should the walk be to make it effective?
Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    150 minutes of moderate exercise per week is recommended, so once you've done your strength training, do the rest in walking?
  • Icy_Fox
    Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The 150 minutes is strength training + cardio?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    For me, unless it's up a steep hill, walking doesn't really get my heart rate up or make me breath hard - it's still good activity, but I wouldn't count it as "cardio" persay unless the above was happening.

Other ideas for some cardio: most gyms have stationary bikes, so that's an option. Perhaps rowing machines? Not sure what your injury is, but I have a fubared ankle that keeps me from running (although I can do elliptical).
  • Icy_Fox
    Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    For me, unless it's up a steep hill, walking doesn't really get my heart rate up or make me breath hard - it's still good activity, but I wouldn't count it as "cardio" persay unless the above was happening.

Other ideas for some cardio: most gyms have stationary bikes, so that's an option. Perhaps rowing machines? Not sure what your injury is, but I have a fubared ankle that keeps me from running (although I can do elliptical).

I have a torn hip tendon. The thing is, I'd like to do the cardio at home, since I have to drive to the gym three times a week anyway... I guess I'll have to try something, though elliptical would be it but is too painful
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Lots of people walk for cardio. How "effective" it is is really up to you, don't just go for a stroll :smile:. The recommendation is 150 mins a week, but I see studies all the time you can do that in big chunks or small chunks.
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    @Icy_Fox , as I recovered from spine surgery I needed some way to exercise, I bought a stationary bike base, but just the wheels so I could sit in my favourite chair with all my cushions for support,
    Increase the tension for more of a workout ... just an idea 😊
  • Adui13
    Adui13 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Lots of people walk for cardio. How "effective" it is is really up to you, don't just go for a stroll :smile:. The recommendation is 150 mins a week, but I see studies all the time you can do that in big chunks or small chunks.

Interesting. I walk at a pace that gives me just under 2 miles in 45 minutes give or take. 150 minutes would be the walking version of a marathon for me. Challenge accepted!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Adui13 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

Interesting. I walk at a pace that gives me just under 2 miles in 45 minutes give or take. 150 minutes would be the walking version of a marathon for me. Challenge accepted!

150 would give you about 7-8 miles. A marathon is 26.2 miles. That would take you about 9 hours.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you can cycle with your injury wouldn't a turbo trainer be a good option to get your cardio in at home?

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    What does effective mean? (What effect are you going for?)

Walking wouldn't be enough to maintain my bike fitness over the winter. But it burns calories which helps overall. Plus it gets me out of the house and usually improves my mood.
  • Adui13
    Adui13 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

150 would give you about 7-8 miles. A marathon is 26.2 miles. That would take you about 9 hours.

Yup, besides that, I didn't read the post thoroughly enough. 150 a week is less than I do. I walk at least 30 min a night 5 or 6 days a week. Well barely less anyhow
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Icy_Fox wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have been recently getting into weight training and decided to do weight 3x a week, 2x a week cardio and 2x a week rest day. Due to my injury, I am not able to run or practice on the elliptical, and I can't ride my bike during the winter, so I am looking for new ways of cardio exercise. How effective is walking for cardio and how long should the walk be to make it effective?
    Thanks!

I can't give a scientific answer on how long a walk should be, but personally I like to be pleasantly tired when I walk out of the woods, and just short of limping (I have a bad knee.)

I plan to bundle up and get out there at least three days a week this winter. I love walking in the woods in a light snow so I can see by the tracks who/what else is out there. And if there's a heavy snow I use my snowshoes and get a truly awesome workout.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Buy an indoor trainer and you can ride all year round.

Add in a speed and cadence sensor (Wahoo make great ones) and a Zwift account and your indoor rides will be almost as enjoyable as your outdoor rides.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by effective? What results are you looking for from it, exactly?

It does burn calories, so it can be a helpful part of a weight loss plan.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I've lost most of my weight by adding in walking,I don't think you necessarily have to be struggling to breathe to burn calories,,I do however think adding in weight training is a huge help in changing the shape of our bodies