What Type Of Running shoes Do You Like?

Options
I don't mean brand or model, but the type of shoes.

max/moderate/low/minimal cushioning
neutral/stability/motion control
flexible/stiff
heel toe drop

I have 32 pairs of running shoes. I used to prefer the more cushioned ones, but lately i have been leaning more toward the less cushioned, neutral, flexible shoes. Heel toe drop can be from 0 to no more than 10 mm. I guess my joints are developing and/or my form is improving, but i can run a few miles on concrete in minimalist shoes now.

When i wear my high cushioned shoes i feel like i am working harder than normal and fighting the cushioning, rather than letting my body absorb the impact naturally.

Curious what other people like or don't like.

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I like my brooks ghosts, I think they called them neutral fit or something of that sort. I used to run barefoot, but finally bought myself some shoes. It’s made a huge difference 😊. My knees used to hurt a lot more running barefoot, but I’m with you too much cushion and it feels counter productive. I like the ghosts because it seems like just enough... my knees have been getting better and better.
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been fitted / analyzed by my running store and have tried various brands/models they say are the best fit for my gait, etc..

The ones I find I'm most successful with are Saucony Hurricanes. Not opposed to other brands or models, I just keep coming back to these.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i also go with what the store recommends. xodus, rides, ghosts, hurricanes, torins.
    i personally can't do asics or hokas because they don't fit my feet
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I like pretty minimalist shoes and I'm a slight supinator, so neutral is important, but other than that I'm not that picky. I'm not prone to pain or joint issues and most of my runs are in the 5-8 mile range, so I don't really need to get too in the weeds with it.

I generally buy youth Nike Frees of any iteration at an outlet since I can get them for $30-$40 (compared to $100 for women's, and the kids' ones come in particularly eye-watering neons, which I like). I run up to about 30mpw and I will definitely go through a pair of shoes in well under six months, so I usually buy 3-4 pairs at once and just rotate until they're all dead. Some of the dead ones become cycling shoes or walking shoes unless there are actual holes.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Depends what I’m doing.

I have a little bit of a neuroma and find that wider shoes are helpful for that. I used to wear Altras-but they have come up with a women’s fit that is quite narrow so those no longer work for me.

Because I need something that’s actually wide-I end up in New Balance or Saucony wide. For general runs, I like New Balance Vongos. For long runs as part of training (where I need to not beat myself to a pulp and I can run again for next day), I like Suacony hurricanes. I tend to prefer cushion for day to day running. It sucks up some energy but it makes for a more comfortable me after a lot of miles.

I used to wear ASICS before the neuroma and they were Ok. Brands like Brooks, Mizuno, Nike, Hoka, etc that have small toe-boxes are not possible for me.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I have overpronation issues. I was wearing Saucony Redeemers, but my current pair is a Brooks Arial 18 and I love them.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Neutral support
    Low to moderate cushioning
    Narrow midfoot
    Average toebox
    4-6mm drop
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love my runners once they have gotten a bit beat up and flattened out. I don't like fighting against footwear I just like to run in my own way so when my shoes start to wear out that's when they feel best to me.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    For running I like a neutral highly cushioned shoe. I have very wide feet, so they can be hard to find sometimes. ATM I'm wearing Glycerins and Ghosts. I used to like Asics Nimbus and Cumulus until they got too narrow. For walking, I wear a support running shoe because it eases pressure on my bunions. Drop is usually about 10 mm.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I go by colour and price. Since I've had plantar fasciitis I do get either Saucony or Asics. But typically colour and price are my criteria. I don't like spending a ton of money on runners for some reason
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    My options are extremely limited due to very wide feet. Brooks Adrenaline works best for me, though I have to order 1.5 sizes up and they’re still not really wide enough.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Neutral shoe, moderate cushioning, 12mm drop (my achilles acts up otherwise as the runs get longer during a training plan)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Whatever Costco has but I refuse to buy the Sketchers brand. Sketchers suck. I go through running shoes very quickly, so cheap works for me. I trail run and my shoes do not last long.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I require a neutral shoe. Anything else and I would risk injury.

When I was 55 lbs heavier my goto shoe was Nike Vomero. Cushioning was important. I still use them for easy recovery runs.

My main workhorse are Nike Pegasus. These are the shoes I used to run in back in the 90's and they still are my favorite general purpose shoe today. I have not yet tried the 35's nor the Turbo's (but I will soon).

When I do speed work I wear Nike Zoom Zoomfly 2%. They are light and responsive. I will no doubt get the flyknit version next year.

I just recently purchased the new Nike Flyknit Vaporfly 4%. I did a 20 mile run and a couple shorter runs. I wore them for my legs of a recent marathon relay. OMG! These are the frickin' bomb. I'm going to wear them on Saturday for my 5k. Even though I'm not really trained to run a short race, I'm almost convinced I can PR just because of these shoes.

All of these shoes have a 10mm drop except for the Vomero's (12mm). Anything less and my calves explode. :D
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I require a neutral shoe. Anything else and I would risk injury.

When I was 55 lbs heavier my goto shoe was Nike Vomero. Cushioning was important. I still use them for easy recovery runs.

My main workhorse are Nike Pegasus. These are the shoes I used to run in back in the 90's and they still are my favorite general purpose shoe today. I have not yet tried the 35's nor the Turbo's (but I will soon).

When I do speed work I wear Nike Zoom Zoomfly 2%. They are light and responsive. I will no doubt get the flyknit version next year.

I just recently purchased the new Nike Flyknit Vaporfly 4%. I did a 20 mile run and a couple shorter runs. I wore them for my legs of a recent marathon relay. OMG! These are the frickin' bomb. I'm going to wear them on Saturday for my 5k. Even though I'm not really trained to run a short race, I'm almost convinced I can PR just because of these shoes.

All of these shoes have a 10mm drop except for the Vomero's (12mm). Anything less and my calves explode. :D

I have a pair of Pegasus 35's. I like them a lot. Not too much cushioning, flexible, and neutral. In fact, i think i'm gonna wear them on my 2 miler tomorrow.
    :)
  • Candikickbutt
    Candikickbutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I switch between my Adidas and Pumas, but prefer my Adidas shoes. Have 3 pair and they are AMAZING! BEST shoes I've ever had.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Right now for road I'm switching between my Nike Vomeros and the Pegasus. Next pair I buy will be more highly cushioned I think, I want to try some Hokas. For trail I have a pair of Saucony Peregrine and love them so much.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I didn’t read your instructions.

I prefer medium-higher cushion for most runs - and do better on long runs with more cushion. I prefer less cushion for speed work and races.

I need a stability shoe-only most are too stable for me so it’s only certain shoes (types of engineering) that work for me.

I’ve never noticed flexibility or not so I’m guessing this isn’t a big deal for me.

My toe drops range from 0 to 14. No real preference here either (although if I’m swinging from one extreme to the other, it takes a little bit to adjust).
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Something with cussion in the forefoot because I run on the balls of my feet rather than the heel... Also something that does not dig into my ankles...

I've tried all brands

New Balance are the most comfortable but not the durable...

Overall... Nike makes the best running shoe

I was disappointed with my Brooks

Not a fan of ASICS

Saucony is a comfortable shoe but does not last long either... I'd prefer New Balance

The last pair of Adidas I got where fair, but I prefer Nike
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I've been fitted / analyzed by my running store and have tried various brands/models they say are the best fit for my gait, etc..

This.

And after trying several, I bought Hokas.