Why is turning 50 so much harder than 30 or 40 was?

Options
Adui13
Adui13 Posts: 48 Member
edited November 2018 in Motivation and Support
Never had a birthday get to me this badly, but I turn 50 on Dec the 6th and somehow I feel like I missed the boat...

I know, not exactly on the diet / nutrition / exercise topic but here it is.

Replies

• Adui13
    Options
    Thank you for that. Kids are still at home (though they are adults), but otherwise it all fits, even the part about being a mature student ?I went back to college in 08 and went to 2013 to get my Masters degree)

I'll try to take the advice to heart.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I think 50 is tough. It's the Half-Century mark, and the moment to wonder if there's another 50 years ahead.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    50 can be a painful.

But you will only be 24 hours older than you were at the same time the day before so what exactly will have changed?

Make it a day to remember then go on to do all those things that you always said you would do one day. Because trust me 60 is not far off >:):p<3
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    My son was christened on my 30th so my birthday was a bit of a non-event, on my 40th I was divorced with 2 kids so did 3 gigs in 3 days with friends and spent most of it drunk. I'm 50 next week, have lost 4st, am newly married and both kids are in their late teens so I'm off on the holiday of a lifetime to Mexico with my new(ish) husband!
    Life is what you make it, embrace it and look forward. Make sure you have the best day possible, enjoy it and make it all about you.

Yeah travelling that is the thing to be doing after 50 when your kids can wipe their own behinds. Get away from everything and just see more of the world.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    My son was christened on my 30th so my birthday was a bit of a non-event, on my 40th I was divorced with 2 kids so did 3 gigs in 3 days with friends and spent most of it drunk. I'm 50 next week, have lost 4st, am newly married and both kids are in their late teens so I'm off on the holiday of a lifetime to Mexico with my new(ish) husband!
    Life is what you make it, embrace it and look forward. Make sure you have the best day possible, enjoy it and make it all about you.

Yeah travelling that is the thing to be doing after 50 when your kids can wipe their own behinds. Get away from everything and just see more of the world.

I'm going to try my best!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    36 was my most difficult birthday (so far) because not long before it, I had read that the average lifespan of Canadian women was 72. Thus 36 was halfway!!

About a year later, I read that the average lifespan of Canadian women was actually 82. I didn't need to worry about my 36th birthday after all! :grin:

For my 50th birthday, I made a list of the things I wanted to do. I hiked to the Lake Louise Tea House which I hadn't done in decades. I did a 200 km bicycle ride on Vancouver Island. All sorts of things. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Adui13 wrote: »
    Never had a birthday get to me this badly, but I turn 50 on Dec the 6th and somehow I feel like I missed the boat...

I know, not exactly on the diet / nutrition / exercise topic but here it is.

what do you think you've missed? why cant you still do it?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    47 is the toughest for me so far. Got slammed with peri menopause (which increased the severity of my depressions) plus bonus health issues that are individually treated because my GP doesn't believe I have peri menopause.

TBH, I'm kinda happy to be older. I'm much closer to getting a senior discount in shops (5 years to be able to order off Denny's 55+ menu) and being off this rock in a permanent fashion.
  • Adui13
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    ~Snip~
    TBH, I'm kinda happy to be older. I'm much closer to getting a senior discount in shops (5 years to be able to order off Denny's 55+ menu) and being off this rock in a permanent fashion.

You sound like my wife LOL! She was so happy to hit 55 for that very reason! (Then a lot of places bumped it to 65 because we live in the retirement capitol of the world..)

• Babs5420
    Babs5420 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I work in assisted living. I was at a seminar recently that stated current predictors are that baby boomers will live to 120 due to medical and health advances.

You’ve got a lot of life left and so many adventures ahead! Celebrate 50!! Happy birthday!!
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you are facing 70---50 was great as was 60 and 65. Now approaching 70 I'm starting to think maybe I'm getting old.
  • Johnk942
    Johnk942 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    50 is a definite shift. As I get grayer, I find people calling me "sir" more at my job. I am 56 now, but took 50 pretty hard.
  • Tommy7570
    Tommy7570 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    50 is great - you stop caring what people think and are free to say what you really think! Freedom 50.