Small twitches in legs after short walk?

Options
Hi! I've recently started utilizing my breaks at work by going out for a quick 15-20 minute walk. I would probably categorize it as "brisk" walking as I am pretty much walking as fast as I can.

Once I return to my desk and sit down, almost immediately my hips, thighs, and calves start twitching all over. I can place my hands on my legs and actually feel the twitching while it's going on. Today I tried to massage the areas that were the worst but didn't notice a change. Also, I should mention they are not painful at all and die down after about 30 minutes but they are pretty annoying and distracting while it's going on.

Just curious if anyone else experiences this or if someone knows that causes this? I am pretty active and go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I take cardio and boot camp style group classes and also do strength training so the short walks are the least active of all my exercising yet I only experience the twitching specifically after these walks...

Thanks!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe there's any issue with the shoes you are walking in.
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes I sometimes get the twitching feeling. It's like little electric shocks for me. It doesn't seem to be a problem, I just put it down to a good workout and wait for it to pass.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I have that after a work out where I have upped the weights.
    I don't get DOMS often at all, but I do twitch. I have an electrolyte drink if I'm twitching, don't honestly know if it helps or just placebo. I generally am low on sodium etc so I think it may help a little.
    I don't worry about it as, like you said, it passes pretty fast.

You may have just started your fast walking too frequently or fast and as you get used to the walking it will subside.

Cheers, h.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This is really common. If you Google "Leg muscles twitching after walk" there are lots of articles about it.
    TL;DR: nothing to worry about. :)
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! This is very reassuring! I appreciate all the feedback :)
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You have STILASWS.

Pretty common.

Treatment: Walk more... :)

But seriously, when i first started power walking i used to get a lot of twitching and other things. It's just your legs adjusting to new things.