Having trouble keeping it off...

Hey everyone !!

So basically this time last year was the "start" of my weight loss journey. I'm 5'2 and I was 153lbs, since Nov 2017 I worked my butt off mentally, telling myself to get in shape for the summer of 2018. Well, I somewhat did that, by July 2018 I weighed 128lbs. My goal was to be 120lbs so I didn't quite reach my goal but for the most part, I felt pretty great. The problem was that once I looked "good" in my opinion, I basically gave up... why did I not think I would gain it back, I am now back up to 140lbs, a 12lb difference.

So that's the backstory and I'm sorry it's so long but basically what I'm asking is how do you stay motivated? Has this ever happened to you? If so how did you get back into it? I was obsessed with my diet and now I'm back to it not phasing me and me eating copious amounts of food. Please help !!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I gained back 25 lbs in 4 years (out of 80).. partly because of health issues... but I can honestly say that I'm happier too. I'm so miserable trying to keep a low weight. I still exercise because that's the easy part for me, but food has always been a struggle (after 5 years I'm just sick of frozen veggies and chicken breast, and the idea of eggs for breakfast makes me gag).

But if you want to keep the weight off, it's the same thing as losing, you just get to eat a little more - but you have to keep the same mindset.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I’ve yo-yo’d as much as 75#, so I know exactly how it feels. I’m now 2 solid years maintaining and it’s still not easy. Re-stating what’s above in very basic steps:
    1. Establish your maintance calories
    2. Set a weight range
    3. Weigh daily
    4. Adjust your calories up or down when you get outside your range

Hang in there!

This, plus logging and tracking just like I did when losing.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    I have found losing weight to be the easiest part. Maintaining that weight loss has been pretty impossible for me because I do what you did and start overeating again. *sigh*
  • nicholahmola
    nicholahmola Posts: 18 Member
    I have nothing of value to add over and above previous replies but wanted to say I could have written the OP myself. I am in the exact same situation - even weights and dates are nearly identical. I feel ya. When I start getting in the groove of logging again it will last a few days then I fall of the rails and get a little further away from my desired maintenance range each time. It’s a struggle.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Truth is maintaining your weight is about as much effort as losing. I think most of us have been where you are. At some point it will hopefully click that this is a lifestyle change and not a temporary diet in order to reach an end goal. It helps to have other fitness related goals to work towards. I've been more or less maintaining my weight for the last year and a half. There are times where I kind of say F it and eat all the foods but for the most part I stay on track. However about 7 years ago I lost weight then gained it all back plus some over the next several years (pregnancy included in that time-frame but I gained weight before that too)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    OP I'm in the same boat.. I've worked my rear off this year successfully taking off 40 pounds and loving my new body and clothes.. I enjoyed the process and my new way of eating. To spite that, this past six weeks, the weight is creeping back. It started with a long vacation ... and I never got back on my healthy eating plan.

I will admit it here and could never say it out loud .. .. I wish the holiday season was just over. It is like navigating a minefield, and I'd rather have my fit body than my usual holiday fun, which means tons of eating out events, drinking one celebration after another.

What I'm doing is facing the facts .. ramping up my working out each day and doing me best to keep on track with regular meals. I still slip up..but less and less...and trying is better than not exercising and thinking waiting until the new year to eat right I'm not going down that slippery slope again.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Hey everyone !!

So basically this time last year was the "start" of my weight loss journey. I'm 5'2 and I was 153lbs, since Nov 2017 I worked my butt off mentally, telling myself to get in shape for the summer of 2018. Well, I somewhat did that, by July 2018 I weighed 128lbs. My goal was to be 120lbs so I didn't quite reach my goal but for the most part, I felt pretty great. The problem was that once I looked "good" in my opinion, I basically gave up... why did I not think I would gain it back, I am now back up to 140lbs, a 12lb difference.

So that's the backstory and I'm sorry it's so long but basically what I'm asking is how do you stay motivated? Has this ever happened to you? If so how did you get back into it? I was obsessed with my diet and now I'm back to it not phasing me and me eating copious amounts of food. Please help !!

It's the story of my life so far. I have made the commitment this time to check my weight once a week once I reach my goal. Once I gain a certain amount, I will get strict and lose it back. I'll give myself a 10 lb range to be in. It's too hard to be exactly one weight all the time, so stressing that much would be counterproductive IMHO.

Rather than totally going off once you lose it again, stick with the app for a month or two in "maintain weight" mode. Don't worry if some days you go over, just work on keeping the average all the time. Once you get use to what you can eat for your activity level and such for yourself, you can try going without the app again, but check on yourself regularly.

Perhaps you want to keep a smaller range than me (I'm settling in around 200 lbs, which is about right for my height and build). Perhaps 7 lbs. I'm not sure for your build what would most drastically affect the clothes you wear. At the same time, if things start feeling a bit tight, you may want to exercise more or diet a bit. You may also weigh more if you add muscle and not fat, so weight gain may not require a diet if that's the cause. I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but none of us are perfect, so don't be upset with yourself about the gaining. Just take it for a lesson learned and move forward positively. You succeeded before, you can again.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    I agree with others who say it's not about motivation. Don't wait for it. It's a lot more about whether you are willing right now to do the work to stick to a deficit, whether through eating less or moving more or a combination of the two. You can draw a line in the sand right now and decide whether you are content to keep doing what you're doing now and most likely gaining back even more weight or whether you'd like to turn things around and get back to losing the weight you lost before. Whatever you do, realize and accept that you are making a decision either way.