How to get dog to eat bigger dental kibble?

Options
kds10
kds10 Posts: 452 Member
My 11 year old smaller dog should be eating the bigger dental kibble because of tarter on his teeth...I usually put the bigger size kibble with his smaller kibble and he always leaves the bigger kibble behind. The vet said just to put out the bigger kibble only but when I do that he just ignores it then I feel bad as I can tell he is hungry so then I give in and add a little of his regular kibble to the bowl.

Any other suggestions??...the dental kibble is about the size of a grape compared to his regular kibble which is the size of a raisin.

Replies

• kds10
    Options
    The vet has cleaned his teeth...twice in the past 2 years...costs a lot of money...1K at least each time. So I want to avoid it in the future. Yeah I am going to do the toothbrush thing too:)
  • kds10
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    The vet has cleaned his teeth...twice in the past 2 years...costs a lot of money...1K at least each time. So I want to avoid it in the future. Yeah I am going to do the toothbrush thing too:)

Maybe if he's confronted with having his teeth brushed, he will decide the kibble is the better option lol. Hmm. How about a dental chew bone? You could always try stick it out. Just leave the large kibble out maybe go out for the day and then you don't have to watch him being hungry. If he sees that your not about to change the food he might give in.

yeah that is what I am hoping..I think I will look for good dental chews. He used to like greenies but then they changed the shape and he didn't like them anymore. Ackk...I always have fussy pets! I leave the dental kibble out all day and he does not touch it. I think he would rather starve than eat it:(
  • kds10
    Options
    I wish that I had started him on the dental kibble when he was a puppy...but to change it when for 10 years he has been eating regular kibble not working so well.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    What about dental chew sticks
  • kds10
    Options
    What about dental chew sticks

Yeah he is hit and miss with those...for many years he loved greenies and then they changed the shape to look more like a toothbrush and he did not like them after that. I will have to look around to see if I can find some he likes!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options
    I've seen bottled sauce/gravy type additives to pour over food to entice fussy eaters. Pet stores carry them. I doubt it would alter the cleaning properties of the kibble itself.

I hear you on the veterinary cleanings. My two cost me $1800.
  • kds10
    Options
    Today I put some of his small kibble in again with the large and he did eat some of the large kibble. Maybe I just have to keep putting in a little bit of the small kibble n with the big and once he finishes that he will automatically keep eating the dental kibble..
  • mybassfishingirl
    mybassfishingirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    My 11 year old smaller dog should be eating the bigger dental kibble because of tarter on his teeth...I usually put the bigger size kibble with his smaller kibble and he always leaves the bigger kibble behind. The vet said just to put out the bigger kibble only but when I do that he just ignores it then I feel bad as I can tell he is hungry so then I give in and add a little of his regular kibble to the bowl.

Any other suggestions??...the dental kibble is about the size of a grape compared to his regular kibble which is the size of a raisin.

I have 2 large dogs, ones 98lbs, & the other is 120lbs..both of mine prefer
    the smaller Kibble also, with the bigger kibble I mix can dog food up in it to get them to eat it, with the small kibble they eat it plain....go figure..

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I give my dog soup bones, and have been giving them to dogs for years. My dogs have never been aggressive chewers though.. (if they are they might crack a tooth) they do a great job of keeping their mouth clean.