Popcorn Calorie Question

Options
At the Grocery Outlet the other day I found the Pop Secret Popfetti popcorn that I've been looking for forever.

The box says 2 TBSP unpopped & it makes 3 cups popped. The 2 TBSP unpopped is 150 calories. The cup popped is 40 calories a cup.

On the front it says 3 OZ (85 grams) so when it's done popping could I just weigh out the popcorn & figure out the calories from that or is it more complicated with popcorn?

Replies

• MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Usually with packaged items you'll use the nutrition data on the package. So you'll weigh the dry (un popped) popcorn and that's the amount of calories you'll log.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    Usually with packaged items you'll use the nutrition data on the package. So you'll weigh the dry (un popped) popcorn and that's the amount of calories you'll log.

I can't really weigh the dry un popped popcorn, because it's all in the bag until it's popped.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Seem how many calorie are in the bag. Pop the whole bag. Weight all the popped popcorn from the bag. That the total calories for the bag, take what ever fraction of that you want to eat and to the math. If you get 300 grams popped and all the popcorn on the bag is 300 calories you get 1 calorie per gram or 100 calories for 100 grams or a third of the bag. Your math won't be that simple and some of the kernel wont pop but you'll get close enough and not go over.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the whole bag myself when I pop it, and what I do is divide the weight listed on the front of package for each bag (usually says something like "contains 3 - 76 oz bags (total weight 228 oz") by the weight listed for an unpopped serving (I try to use the gram equivalents for the weights, which are usually listed on the pkg), and then I say had that many servings, using an entry (or creating one) that gives nutritional info for the unpopped serving.

This does result in some overcounting, as there is fat left inside the bag and I don't eat the unpopped kernels, but I usually just chalk this up to balancing out any inadvertent undercounting. You could weigh the unpopped kernels and subtract that from the total weight for the bag contents before dividing by the weight of the unpopped serving.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Beep, beep, beep. Back up. What is this funfetti popcorn you speak of? I’m picturing rainbow jimmies....