What do you do with Thanksgiving leftovers?

Options
kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
Allrecipes had some yummy but caloric suggestions about turkey leftovers that I thought I would share. I use the JOC tetrazzini recipe, which is pretty similar, but just made that last week with chicken. (The majority of leftovers are at Mom's - I just brought enough home for two additional meals and sandwiches.) She'll be making stock from the carcass and then soup.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/240568/baked-turkey-tetrazzini/

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/219480/thanksgiving-leftover-wontons-with-cranberry-salsa/

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My bf and I cooked just for the two of us and didn't make very much. Leftover meat will be eaten because we're both major carnivores. He ate the little stuffing that was left this morning and took the cookies to work. He'll freeze the cranberry sauce for cranberry vodkas. I ate the leftover Brussels this morning with eggs.

When I go home though and there's leftovers. My mom packs plates to send home and keeps a couple for herself to eat over the next two days. Then everyone gets some to take home but no one is stuck with a ton of stuff.

My dad does thanksgiving like my bf and I did. He makes enough for the evening so leftovers aren't an issue. None of us will really eat anything that has been in the fridge for more than a day.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Eat them.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Eat them all! No more cooking for the next few days 😊
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    My turkey was picked clean but I have a bunch of ham and some veg left. I'll just eat it as is, I think. Maybe use the ham bone for some soup. I sent off the leftover pies with guests but kept some pumpkin bread, I'm a sucker for that and banana bread. Already had a slice with breakfast fruit and yoghurt.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Turkey pot pie. Wasn't really a significant amount of anything else leftover.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Turkey corn chowder is good, especially if you end up with some dry meat. I always wait about 3 days to make anything; if the turkey was nice and moist (usually the case) the leftovers will often disappear quickly. My top choice is just eating plain roasted turkey (with other things). We usually get Butterball, which really isn't completely plain (they inject them).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I stuffed my turkey carcass with some leftover meat on it into a freezer bag and I’ll probably make turkey and dumpling soup or something like that at some point. The rest of our leftovers we will just eat for dinner the next couple days
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I put the leftover vegetables in omelettes and the leftover meat in a crueset dish with some cauliflower and spinach for a casserole. :)

Thinking about making a Shepard’s pie 🤔
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Turkey Jook.

a82l7dwrmps9.jpg
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Looking super forward to a turkey sandwich tonight!! And a baked potato :)
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Turkey pot pie. Wasn't really a significant amount of anything else leftover.

^
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It’s just the two of us, so I make small portions. Our leftovers will all be gone today.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I left the majority of them at my dad's house. Brought home enough for pie before bed last night and a sandwich for lunch today.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Easy turkey salad
    Chopped up leftover turkey mixed with a chopped avocado and a jar of commercial salsa. Add some chopped coriander. Serve in a soft taco shell.

Avgolemono soup
    Essentially a handful of rice cooked in a chicken or turkey stock, thickened with egg and flavoured with lemon juice. Add some chopped turkey to make this into a meal with a salad or other vegetable side. Google for proper recipes.

Bang Bang Turkey
    Essentially noodles, peanut sauce, raw veg. Google Bang Bang Chicken for recipes.

Coronation turkey
    Mix chopped leftover turkey with yoghurt, curry powder, raisins and season with salt and pepper. Use as a sandwich spread. If you google for Coronation Chicken recipes they will probably call for mayonnaise which is more calorific than yoghurt.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Broccoli casserole all gone.
    Gave a family member some turkey and mashed potato so less leftovers for me.
    Cooked the back bones and some dark meat and I made broth. Tomorrow I will freeze some liquid and use the rest for a turkey vegetable soup.
    Froze some mashed potatoes to eat on a later day.
    The rest of the turkey will be used for salads and/or sandwiches, or a stir-fry.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Eat them all! No more cooking for the next few days 😊

This for me.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    Today, I made turkey and cranberry chutney sandwiches on pumpernickel with leftover stuffing.

Tomorrow I'm making turkey Reubens with roasted root veggies.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't have any but if I had leftover turkey I'd make turkey pasties.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Most of it disappears within a day or two eaten in exactly the same way it was presented on the Thanksgiving table, although I'm very partial to turkey and cranberry sauce sandwiches with a little mayo -- one of the few ways in which I actually like mayo. I can take or leave stuffing in the sandwich -- if I do use it, I tend to try to get disproportionately more sausage, onions, and celery, because there's already bread on the outside of the sandwich, so I don't really need more on the inside.