Struggling to find meals that will make me feel full

Options
Marceeya
Marceeya Posts: 6 Member
edited November 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I’m currently eating 1400 calories a day and I still manage to feel hungry all the time. Help!

Breakfast -wrap with 2 eggs -coffe black
Lunch -varies-chilli and small salad mostly
Dinner-protein 4oz plus veggies and 1/2 rice

Snacks -apple or berries with a few nuts

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose, and how many lbs per week are you set to?

Do you exercise and are you eating any of those cals back?

Generally, people find some combo of protein, fat, and fiber filling, but it's different for anyone. 1400 is not a lot of calories, especially if you are exercising. I had to eat at least 1500 to avoid misery.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    to feel full i ditch the rice and wrap which eat up a ton of calories and don't fill me. i add more veggies that are low cals. i do eat carbs just not that kind. I find oatmeal fills me up more in the morning. let it soak longer in more water to increase density.

not sure that what you listed is actually 1400 calories though?

eta: if you just recently made a drastic cut in calories it can take ahwile to get used to. sometimes it's best to set a halfway point at first to get used to "less" then make a second cut to goal calories.
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I’m on 1400 calories. I divide it into 4 x 350 calorie meals. My meals look a little like this.

1)Yopro with granola/hemp/nuts and fruit & coffee with cream.
    2) 100gm protein chicken/ham/cheese/egg (whatever is going) , 200gm mixed veggie salad in a low carb wrap, home made mayo.
    3) veggie sticks (200gm veggies), crackers, olives, dip, cheese.
    4) 200g protein of choice, and about 300gm mixed veggies. Baked/stir fried. 1 tbsn oil.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Marceeya wrote: »
    I’m currently eating 1400 calories a day and I still manage to feel hungry all the time. Help!

Breakfast -wrap with 2 eggs -coffe black
    Lunch -varies-chilli and small salad mostly
    Dinner-protein 4oz plus veggies and 1/2 rice

Snacks -apple or berries with a few nuts

Foods with fiber and more volume — Brussels sprouts!
    Broccoli 🥦
    I add celery to my chicken and tuna salad for some low calorie volume.
    Swiss chard - include the stalks.

How about some avocado to your chili and salad? It has more fat and it’s heavy so it might make it more satisfying- just have to watch the portion for the calories.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, zucchini and cauliflower are wonder foods for bulking up meals with very few calories. I also find potatoes to be very filling.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I’m on 1400 calories. I divide it into 4 x 350 calorie meals. My meals look a little like this.

1)Yopro with granola/hemp/nuts and fruit & coffee with cream.
    2) 100gm protein chicken/ham/cheese/egg (whatever is going) , 200gm mixed veggie salad in a low carb wrap, home made mayo.
    3) veggie sticks (200gm veggies), crackers, olives, dip, cheese.
    4) 200g protein of choice, and about 300gm mixed veggies. Baked/stir fried. 1 tbsn oil.

Homemade mayo? Recipe, please :)
  • AnneUT
    AnneUT Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone, but bulk doesn't make me feel full. I can eat a huge plate of zucchini noodles and feel hungry an hour later. What keeps me feeling full is fat and protein. I keep my carbs low so I have enough calories for what fills me up: fat and protein. But everyone is different, so try a few of these suggestions and see what works for you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,481 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    100% agree with that point above, about not cutting too far, too soon. Sometimes a more gradual calorie reduction on-ramp can be helpful.

Generally agree with other comments, as well: Experiment.

Posting to add that timing of eating can affect satiety, too: Relative size of meals, how many meals/snacks to have, which nutrients/satiating foods (protein, volume veg, fats . . . ) at which times, etc.

People vary a lot in terms of satiation, as far as timing of eating. At the extremes, some people are happiest and most satisfied if they eat just one large meal daily; others do better with many small meals/snacks spread through the day. There's lots of territory in between to experiment with, too: Skip breakfast, eat snacks or don't, etc.

Try a new approach for a couple of days, see if it helps. If it does, keep it. If it doesn't, try something else.

Also, pay attention to the influence on your hunger of hydration, sleep, stress, boredom, social cues, habit, exercise response, etc. Sometimes issues in those areas will manifest as perceived hunger, but are better dealt with via their underlying cause.

Your food diary can be your best friend here: When you have a relatively better day, or a relatively worse one, try to figure out what was different. It can yield helpful insights.

Editing to add: Timing of eating per se has essentially no effect on weight loss rate, so if you've read otherwise in the blogosphere, don't worry too much about it.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    AnneUT wrote: »
    It's different for everyone, but bulk doesn't make me feel full. I can eat a huge plate of zucchini noodles and feel hungry an hour later. What keeps me feeling full is fat and protein. I keep my carbs low so I have enough calories for what fills me up: fat and protein. But everyone is different, so try a few of these suggestions and see what works for you.

This is mostly what fills me up too, although adding bulk does help. I eat a big brunch with english muffin, ham,cheese, potato & mostly use egg makers(egg whites that taste like whole egg) & eat a bigger meal for dinner. I have mostly non fat greek yogurt with some flavoring in it that's filling & make my own smoothies
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    AnneUT wrote: »

I need fat, protein AND bulk :)
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I have an egg on a whole wheat English muffin with cheese. For some reason I find that very satisfying. Especially if you have some Greek yogurt too.I think part of the battle is finding food you actually enjoy that doesn’t bust the calorie bank because then you will feel like you actually ate and a lot of it is mental. I also load up on veggies and protein. That keeps the hunger at bay.