Minimum Exercise Calories per Day while Maintaining

Options
pkw58
pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
So we talk a lot about how much we eat to maintain, has anyone reduced the number of Exercise Calories they spend every day? I still log every day and my exercise varies, but never below 300....

Thoughts?comments?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure what you mean - do you mean has anyone reduced the amount of exercise they do each day? Or are you referring to "eating back" exercise calories?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    your maintenance is just down to calories . there is no minimum amount of exercise you should do to maintain, same as there is no minimum amount needed to lose.
    consistently eat as many calorie as your body needs - whether that includes exercise or not - and you will maintain your weight.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I reduced exercise calories in maintenance. Actually, that's not exactly accurate. I did reduce the calories expended during exercise, but I also changed the exercise from a 50/50 mix of cardio and weight training to all weight training. Heavy weight training. Average calories burned from exercise went from 400 cal / day to 225 cal / day. I'm focusing on lowering BF% while maintaining weight. I've maintained 185 lbs while dropping BF 3%. Maint calories is currently 2,863 cal / day.

I stopped the cardio because it was affecting my recovery time for the lifts. At 47 yo, my workouts are writing checks my body can't cash.

Tom
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The national weight loss center keeps track of people who take off at least 30 pounds and keep it off at least a year.

The single most important factor is exercise. An hour a day is what it takes, on average.

When I switched to maintenance in my head, I went for more exercise - and harder exercise. I was never a big gym person, but I'm walking consistently, I got a fitbit, and I will go to the gym when I can't walk outside because of the dark.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm working out a bit less (less running, less lifting) on maintenance, but walking more, and also fewer times a week/day. While losing, I would sometimes workout 3x/day and workout usually 7 days a week. I ran and lifted with the weights machines, and also did dvds like 30DS or RI 30 and walked with incline on the treadmill, sometimes all in one day. Now, I'm walking my dogs 2x/day, maybe a dvd, sometimes swim laps, hardly any running or lifting. I want to add in some more running and lifting soon, but I will have to increase my calories to do so. It is a delicate balance, because I like to eat, but don't want to workout just to eat more. I want to be ok not working out some days, but still eat appropriately for my TDEE each day. I don't have a minimum exercise calories to burn daily, because some days are rest days. Your body needs to rest:)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Just decide on how much activity you want to do during the week and adjust your caloric intake (if need be) so it allows you to stay within your maintenance range.
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I am having a very hard time with this issue myself. I'm a runner and swimmer, plus I teach full time. I can't seem to eat as many calories as I exercise. Today, I'm over 1,000 calories in the hole.
  • pkw58
    Options
    The national weight loss center keeps track of people who take off at least 30 pounds and keep it off at least a year.

The single most important factor is exercise. An hour a day is what it takes, on average.

When I switched to maintenance in my head, I went for more exercise - and harder exercise. I was never a big gym person, but I'm walking consistently, I got a fitbit, and I will go to the gym when I can't walk outside because of the dark.

I have to admit I am feeling the need to exercixe more and more. I wear a nike fuelband to record it all...
  • maxrain
    maxrain Posts: 9
    Options
    I am working toward maintenance. The challenge is adjusting my intake. I am trying things one step at a time, which I think is the best approach. I have adjusted my daily intake by increasing my calorie limit and see how it goes for about 4 weeks. This way I can see what effects this has.

This all after losing double digits in body fat %..

Check out my journey and my wife's.
    https://www.facebook.com/TAIslimChallengeCalgary
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    your maintenance is just down to calories . there is no minimum amount of exercise you should do to maintain
    This.

Exercise to meet your personal fitness goals. Adjust your calories accordingly.
  • pkw58
    Options
    your maintenance is just down to calories . there is no minimum amount of exercise you should do to maintain
    This.

Exercise to meet your personal fitness goals. Adjust your calories accordingly.

I get the whole formula of calories in, calories out. But as other posters have noted, exercise is a key factor in maintaining weight. Just like we have a minimum number of calories to eat...exercise seems to be wide open. I have found that I need to record about 400 calories a day burned on my Nike Fuel Band to maintain my weight, and sleep thru the night. This is a bit more than has been recommended to me by trainer in a few years ago. From a quality of life and balance of work/play/life, exercise, to me, should be like brushing your teeth or drinking water. It should be part of my daily life, not over take it. Hence the whole question...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    From a quality of life and balance of work/play/life, exercise, to me, should be like brushing your teeth or drinking water. It should be part of my daily life, not over take it. Hence the whole question...

I get where you are coming from now. I guess I'm lucky and really enjoy exercise but if you are finding it a chore maybe you need to find something else that you actually enjoy? Dancing, swimming, hiking, take up a sport - whatever works for you to be active and to enjoy it at the same time.
    The other alternative is to increase your non-exercise activity so you don't feel you are having to give up time for something you don't totally enjoy. For example swap out a car journey for a walk or cycle, always use the stairs, change your daily routine so that something currently sedentary becomes active.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am having a very hard time with this issue myself. I'm a runner and swimmer, plus I teach full time. I can't seem to eat as many calories as I exercise. Today, I'm over 1,000 calories in the hole.

i would love to be bothered to do that much exercise so i coudl eat more... eating enough has never been a problem... thats what peanut butter or nutella were invented for!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have found that I need to record about 400 calories a day burned on my Nike Fuel Band to maintain my weight,

eat 200 cals less, and then you will only need to burn 200 cals to maintain your weight.
  • pkw58
    Options
    I have found that I need to record about 400 calories a day burned on my Nike Fuel Band to maintain my weight,

eat 200 cals less, and then you will only need to burn 200 cals to maintain your weight.

I find that 400 calories burned insures I get a solid night of sleep. I don't mind the 400 Calories burned, I am the queen of walk breaks at work, parking my car to get the most activity in, taking the stairs instead of elevator when i can, etc. I love my Barre 3 and just discovered Zumba for my iPad. I actually exercise more at maintenance than I did while losing the weight.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I am finding it harder to maintain since I cut back my exercise (my gym is having issues and has cancelled two classes I was regularly taking). I'm fine if I get in at least a couple of miles of extra walking each day (walking as exercise, not just from the car or up the stairs), but on these incredibly hot summer days, I'm not always walking enough. I hope that as fall cools things off, I'll be able to make up for it, but in October I'm going to begin training for a half marathon in February anyway, so I'll have to get a little more walking in (I walked the half this year and will be walking it again to beat last year's time).
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! At least 300 calories burned daily! :smile:
  • tabletmfp
    tabletmfp Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    pkw58 wrote: »

I find that 400 calories burned insures I get a solid night of sleep. I don't mind the 400 Calories burned, I am the queen of walk breaks at work, parking my car to get the most activity in, taking the stairs instead of elevator when i can, etc. I love my Barre 3 and just discovered Zumba for my iPad. I actually exercise more at maintenance than I did while losing the weight.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I aim for 400 6x a week, I just like eating too much. I'd do more but my legs are not always happy with my exercise regimen...