Swim into 2019

Options
Hello all!

My goal is to swim 5 days a week until the New Year. With the holidays, it’s easy to slack on fitness. I thought a community challenge might be fun, since I don’t see too many swim threads (correct me if I’m wrong).

I’ll probably post each day I swim, with a weekly recap (distance and days/week). Feel free to set your own goals and post at your own pace. We can motivate each other while challenging ourselves.

~ just keep swimming ~

Replies

• orangequilt
    orangequilt Posts: 4,178 Member
    Options
    I love swimming! I generally swim 3 or 4 times a week for an hour but that's 'zen' swimming, very slow mixed in with walking in the water and looking around, it's more a meditation than a work out and I love it! Want to try and incorporate some laps of back stroke and freestyle so that can be my challenge.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I’m just starting up with swimming again. I’ve been twice this week and am aiming to go three times a week for the time being. I find it a pretty enjoyable way to exercise! I do 20 laps of breaststroke. That’s kind of a lot for me so I’ll just try to stick to that. Great to find swimmers on here! Good luck and keep going :-)
  • MalloryRogers1
    MalloryRogers1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome guys! It’s awesome to see other swimmers :)
    20 laps of any stroke is a lot! Keep up the great work.
    Orangequilt: I totally get the “zen” thing. I love zoning out during laps. I feel like I get a decent cardio workout, but am also more mentally relaxed than if I run or bike (?). Swimming has always felt all-around more wholesome. And easy on the joints!
    We’ve got this :)

So I didn’t post every day. But my swims were:

Wed: 2,500 yards
    Friday: 2,000 yards
    Sat: 2,300 yards
    Sun: 2,000 yards

Only 4 days this week. But I only started my “5 days/week” goal on Wednesday lol. So I’m going to call it okay.
  • Kupla71
    Options
    Good work!! It sounds like you’re getting really good exercise in. The pool I swim in is quite small so my 20 laps is actually pretty dismal but it’s s start! I’m trying to lose weight mostly by focusing on my diet but I know exercise can only be a good thing. Swimming is such a relaxing way to get a whole body workout and refreshing too!
  • MalloryRogers1
    Options
    Kupla71 wrote: »
    Good work!! It sounds like you’re getting really good exercise in. The pool I swim in is quite small so my 20 laps is actually pretty dismal but it’s s start! I’m trying to lose weight mostly by focusing on my diet but I know exercise can only be a good thing. Swimming is such a relaxing way to get a whole body workout and refreshing too!

I’m sure it’s so much better than nothing :)
    Gotta go at your own pace and do what feels good for you. My mom pretty much threw me in the water at birth and never let me out, so my distance feels dismal compared to where I’ve been in the past lol. We’ll get there.

I was originally thinking of just doing a deficit from food. But I’ve felt way better these last few days moving more and eating a couple hundred more calories. Possibly just from exercise endorphins? Anyway, best of luck in the new week!
  • Kupla71
    Options
    Yeah it’s definitely better than nothing. I feel good after I swim too and just generally. My muscles all along my arms and my back and legs are aching but in a good way! I think I’m swimming just the right amount. Good luck to you this week too!
  • orangequilt
    Options
    Swam for an hour this morning, some walking in the water, forgot I was going to do freestyle and backstroke!! Next time. Was lovely in there this morning, not too many other people!
  • MalloryRogers1
    Options
    Swam for an hour this morning, some walking in the water, forgot I was going to do freestyle and backstroke!! Next time. Was lovely in there this morning, not too many other people!

Quiet swims are the best! It’s currently super icey where I am. Only the “hard-cores” and my lazy but determined bum are braving the roads lol.
    I hope you enjoyed ❤️
  • aayudinova
    aayudinova Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was swimming 3x week until the fires here in CA made the air harmful to breathe. I haven't gotten back to it yet, but I think I will any day now. Thanks for the insporation.
  • MrWeather_81
    MrWeather_81 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If I could swim. I would definitely be up for this challenge
  • hopefullycos
    hopefullycos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join! I've been out of the water for a couple months due to back & neck pain, but I plan to ease back in with a swim or 2 next week. This thread has inspired me to perhaps go for some water walking this week too! (I'm a mermaid so it didn't occur to me that I can put my feet down! :D )
  • Kupla71
    Options
    Swam twice this week so far. First time 22 laps. Second time 26 laps. I am building up my endurance! Last week was 20 laps. I’m doing breaststroke and backstroke and feeling great afterwards :)
  • orangequilt
    Options
    Swam today and yesterday, an hour zen swimming and walking in the water. Did four lengths back stroke yesterday and 2 backstroke 2 freestyle today. Trying to do freestyle breathing every three strokes, it's only a 25m pool but I still ran out of puff! It's going to be 34 degrees C here tomorrow so will be staying in the shade instead!
    Happy swimming all!
  • Kupla71
    Options
    Way to go orangequilt! I find the hard part is sometimes getting in the pool. The pool I use is indoors so I don’t have to worry about the heat (especially because I live in Canada and it’s December!) I sometimes don’t feel like going but I change into my swim suit and before I know it I’m heading down to the pool. It’s a small pool. Less than 25 meters so I don’t know how far I’m really swimming.
  • orangequilt
    Options
    I'm in Australia and it's summer so it's easy to get into the water! But I remember when I lived in the UK, hard to strip off on a cold day!
  • Kupla71
    Options
    Yeah. It’s getting chilly here. Luckily the pool is just downstairs so I don’t have to go out into the cold to get there!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    We have a group called; Swimmers!,Come join us, we have all levels, advice, and report our swims.
    Good Luck.
  • Kupla71
    Options
    Hi everyone. I was feeling discouraged about my swimming but went anyway. I’m glad I did. I guess I was feeling like I wasn’t getting any real benefit from it since I only swim for 20 minutes each time I go. Not enough for any real fat burning to go on. Do you swim more for the enjoyment of it or for weight loss? Do you think it helps?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Kupla71 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I was feeling discouraged about my swimming but went anyway. I’m glad I did. I guess I was feeling like I wasn’t getting any real benefit from it since I only swim for 20 minutes each time I go. Not enough for any real fat burning to go on. Do you swim more for the enjoyment of it or for weight loss? Do you think it helps?

ANYTHING is better than nothing. It also depends on what you do in the pool. Did you make good use of your time? Then it was a success.
  • Kupla71
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I do laps and I’m getting faster. Sometimes I just need to be reminded that it’s all worthwhile.