Endurance runner turning to weights

Options
Hi there I’ve been a long distance for many years. For a while I have been unhappy with my body. I’m skinny all over except my tummy which is flabby. I’m starting with a PT to build muscle and lose my tummy. I’m trying to get my head around eating much more to build muscle without running - anyone else felt worried about fat gain from eating more?

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No.
    Just use intuitive eating and do not overeat. It's pretty simple. Plate smaller portions and eat slowly. If its not enough, you can get seconds but you won't be reinforcing the habit of eating large amounts. Don't snack more than once a day.
    You'll be fine.
    You are doing the right thing. Running makes you healthy and skinny. Lifting, however, remakes your body and makes you look better. If you lift heavy and are consistent, it works.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? If you eat in a surplus you will gain some fat and muscle (if you are doing things correctly), but won't lose fat. This is a good option if you are very lean or close to the bottom of a healthy weight for your height.

Otherwise I would eat at maintenance or a small deficit to lean out while lifting.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Long time runner who turned to trail running and weight training after on going injuries. I weight train 3-4x per week focusing on power moves to build strength dead lift, bench press, standing military press and squats. I use the 5/3/1 program. I was pretty skinny too ~160 lbs but since I started the heavy hinge lifts I've gone to ~170 lbs. I closely track my CICO as well as the macros. My advice is to not worry about gaining weight. You'll be better off carrying a bit more weigth and keeping your energy / stamina and fatigue under control. And, basically strengthening my core hips lower back legs have reduced my running injuries to zero.