How easy to revert to old habits

Options
2»

Replies

• kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    Also, doesn't sound like IF is really helping you?

Disagree. .if not for IF I do not believe I would have lost 25 lbs. Even though I have been hit and miss with it the last few months I always go back to it.

Well then I don't understand what you wrote in your original post. Eating excessively for a couple days each week for a few months is a classic sign that your IF routine is too restrictive. It doesn't work if you are only able to be hit and miss with it, the thing that works is the thing you are able to stick with and lose weight.

I disagree...I don't think it is too restrictive at all. I had these moments when I was counting calories/points/fat grams, etc. etc. etc.

I have no interest in counting anything...except the hours that I eat in the day:)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

Disagree. .if not for IF I do not believe I would have lost 25 lbs. Even though I have been hit and miss with it the last few months I always go back to it.

Well then I don't understand what you wrote in your original post. Eating excessively for a couple days each week for a few months is a classic sign that your IF routine is too restrictive. It doesn't work if you are only able to be hit and miss with it, the thing that works is the thing you are able to stick with and lose weight.

I disagree...I don't think it is too restrictive at all. I had these moments when I was counting calories/points/fat grams, etc. etc. etc.

I have no interest in counting anything...except the hours that I eat in the day:)

OK. So you have no problems. Carry on.
  • kds10
    Options

OK. So you have no problems. Carry on.

LOL never said that...I am a huge believer in IF regardless. However just because I have 5 months or so of doing it does not mean that years of bad habits come undone. I will still continue to do it I just have to be more diligent with it...no different than someone counting calories/points, etc.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    It may be IF helped get rid of most of the weight but now you are closer to your goal the margin for error is much smaller so a different approach is needed. I do IF but within that eating window I also count calories, I have to as even with two stone left to lose, eating whatever I want results in Weight gain. Do you also track your calories?

I will second this. I do a variation of IF that works for me, but I still have to be careful with my calories or I will, at best, maintain. IF makes it easier for me, but does not eliminate the need for keeping an eye on my overall consumption.
  • kds10
    Options
    It may be IF helped get rid of most of the weight but now you are closer to your goal the margin for error is much smaller so a different approach is needed. I do IF but within that eating window I also count calories, I have to as even with two stone left to lose, eating whatever I want results in Weight gain. Do you also track your calories?

I will second this. I do a variation of IF that works for me, but I still have to be careful with my calories or I will, at best, maintain. IF makes it easier for me, but does not eliminate the need for keeping an eye on my overall consumption.

Yes for sure...but my issue is when I revert back to old habits such as eating from morning thru till bedtime or feeling that I have to eat the whole family size bag of potato chips (this way they will not be around the next day) instead of shutting down my eating window and saving some for the next day.

However that is years of learned behaviour and I have just been doing IF since the spring so I still have moments of those old habits/triggers coming back unfortunately.

As I stated for years my way was trying to eat low fat and or putting expectations on myself to eat perfectly each and every day and one slip up meant wrecking the whole day and might as well binge all day long and start fresh tomorrow.

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    OP what I read you saying is that IF is your big behavioral change, it is what you use to control your eating. But you have for some reason let up on your discipline of following the IF faithfully. So by not being as diligent in this period of time, those bad eating habits have pushed their way back into your life.

To me that would be time to sit down and focus on why you let this happen. Because only you can refocus, and get your discipline, and diligence back on track and get back to the LifeStyle of eating that you want to follow. No one else.
  • kds10
    Options
    OP what I read you saying is that IF is your big behavioral change, it is what you use to control your eating. But you have for some reason let up on your discipline of following the IF faithfully. So by not being as diligent in this period of time, those bad eating habits have pushed their way back into your life.

To me that would be time to sit down and focus on why you let this happen. Because only you can refocus, and get your discipline, and diligence back on track and get back to the LifeStyle of eating that you want to follow. No one else.

Absolutely...honestly I think it was because I was close to my goal. It is like whatever, if I gain one lb or so not the end of the world, some of the pressure has come off and because I was closer to my goal I figured that the weight loss was going to be slower anyway.

I have been thinking about this and have decided that I am refocusing on IF and have set a goal of a 3.5 lb loss to end of December. THat will take me to 5 lbs of my goal weight. ON average I do great during the week but have noticed that for a day or two on the weekend, I have tended to let it slide and I think those two days that I blow it have stalled my weight loss.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

Absolutely...honestly I think it was because I was close to my goal. It is like whatever, if I gain one lb or so not the end of the world, some of the pressure has come off and because I was closer to my goal I figured that the weight loss was going to be slower anyway.

I have been thinking about this and have decided that I am refocusing on IF and have set a goal of a 3.5 lb loss to end of December. THat will take me to 5 lbs of my goal weight. ON average I do great during the week but have noticed that for a day or two on the weekend, I have tended to let it slide and I think those two days that I blow it have stalled my weight loss.

This was me.
    Ok...it still is me. :blush:
    Knowing yourself is the key to this thing.
    So...figure out how to make it work for you. For me, I eat less during the week so I can accommodate the *kitten* show the weekend is without it adversely affecting my progress. I lost the last bit that way and have been maintaining since using that method.

If you are dead-set on using IF, shorten your window during the week maybe? Then allow yourself a longer window on the weekends. I'm not sure if that would work. I can't do IF myself. I'm a monster. There's blood. It's ugly. :smirk:
  • kds10
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

This was me.
    Ok...it still is me. :blush:
    Knowing yourself is the key to this thing.
    So...figure out how to make it work for you. For me, I eat less during the week so I can accommodate the *kitten* show the weekend is without it adversely affecting my progress. I lost the last bit that way and have been maintaining since using that method.

If you are dead-set on using IF, shorten your window during the week maybe? Then allow yourself a longer window on the weekends. I'm not sure if that would work. I can't do IF myself. I'm a monster. There's blood. It's ugly. :smirk:

I agree with you, I have revamped and am doing on average an 8 hour feeding window instead of six. I do pretty good on average with working out anyway but some of those "bad" eating days I tend to say screw it with working out I will just lay on the couch stuffing my face. So my commitment to myself is mandatory 8 hour feeding window no matter what I am eating and continue to work out regularly. My goal is to get down to 155 by end of December, I currently weigh 158.5 so very reasonable goal IMO.