Bad knees :(

Options
2»

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    My bad knees started with bad ankles - over pronation which completely stressed my knee. A few decades later, the knees are arthritic and the ankles still pronate. But what has helped immensely are good orthotics for all my shoes and strengthening quads and hams. Women are especially prone to knee issues because of hip structure - so go ahead and get yourself to a medical person and ask for physical therapy.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    While extra weight does put strain on the knees, I very much doubt a mere 20 pounds is causing your problems.

Do see a doctor and get a referral to a sports physio or other professional. If you are doing lower body strength training, especially squats or the knee extension machine, stop until you've seen the doctor.

What kind of shoes are you wearing at work?

I second this. I know everybody is different, but I'm twice OP's age and have carried 30 to 60 extra pounds most of my adult life, with no one pain to date, so accepting this as the inevitable result of 20 extra pounds while you're still in your 20s seems unrealistic to me.

See what your doctor and appropriate imaging diagnostics can uncover. And stop doing things that trigger the pain in the meanwhile.

Best of luck.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    How old are your shoes? Are you sure you have a proper fit?