Sources for Plus-Size Winter Cycling Wear (USA)

Options
Hello, all, thanks in advance for advice.

I'm a big guy, entering my first full winter returned to cycling after decades. I made do with a hodgepodge of sweats/thermals/t-necks/etc. last winter after getting a new bike for Christmas/retirement. At that point, going a mile was a big deal, so just being warm was OK.

Now, a year and 1000 miles later, I'm having some serious issues with appropriate cold-weather wear when riding: athletic, wicking, techncial, warm, breathable, etc. - for instance, I rode in the northeast cold last week with my "windshell" (nonbreathable rainproof self-packing windbreaker) over a polyfill vest and t-neck. While I didn't feel it during the ride, the vest was soaked through at the end. It was a 90-minute, nonstop ride. I can imagine what a longer ride and/or ride with stops would be like as the season progresses.

I have been using aerotechdesigns.com for my cycling clothes, and they've been great, high quality and have a good selection of big and tall (M/F) stuff. However, I was wondering if there are other sources? Little elves need to make up Christmas lists, LOL.

Oh, and to put perspective on my problem: a lot of cycling clothes manufacturers call a 44 chest "2XL." I'm a 54-58 chest, depending on the cut, fit, use, layer.

Again, thanks in advance for advice.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Check REI and Sierra Trading Post. I'm female and a new cyclist. I'm finding that some clothes are sized about right and others are about 2 sizes too small. Look at different brands and different styles within a brand. But from places with good return policies.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I would also check on the clydesdales/athenas subform of bikeforums.net. There are a number of threads about clothing.
  • MaryContrary1972
    MaryContrary1972 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you know someone in the UK to post it to you check out FatLadAtTheBack - they have the best range of clothing over here and it's top quality
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Not necessarily cycling specific but I've always had good luck with under armour cold gear as an under layer, and that stuff goes up to a 4 or 5x I think. For breathable, you really can't beat the "tech fleece" snowboarding hoodies and a lot of them go up to 3xl. Check out the brands 686 and Neff.

I'm not a huge bike guy but I know from my time in the military you don't want a lot on when moving even in the cold - if I were to do a winter ride id probably do an under armour cold gear top/bottom with a t-shirt and basket ball shorts over it and just carry a backpack with sweats and a good tech fleece hoodie for stops or if it got really cold.

Also for gloves, snowboarding "pipe" gloves are great - they fit like a mechanix brand glove but are waterproof and warm. Oakley has some good ones for like 40 bucks.

I'm a big fan of crossing gear over from other sports - a lot of my winter outdoors gear for stuff like dirtbiking, hiking, biking, running is actually snowboarding brand stuff.

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    thanks, @lorrpb , @aokoye, @MaryContrary1972 I'll check these. As an REI member, I already know their lineup. i was at my local one about 10d ago for a "trailside repairs" hands on seminar and learned a couple of things. "local" for me is about a 50mile drive, lol - my only complaint about rei.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    also thanks, @youcantflexcardio. i'm thinking that approach also, e.g., similar to x-country skiing or other active winter stuff. it's just a generally limited market - i can dress to the nines in plus sizes, go casual, go to the gym, but this activity niche (winter, active athletic, big, non-commuter/working), it's a bit harder. my wife kidded the other day - "well that settles it. [now that we're retiring], we'll have to move south because you can get the summer stuff more readily for year-round cycling and sailing!" (sailing is my/our other passion).
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    @mjbnj0001
    Here, these hoodies are exactly what I was talking about

https://www.neffheadwear.com/products/flint-shredder-1?variant=10773780987946

I'm actually wearing the one from the year before that right now sitting in my room and its breathing fine yet I just walked the dog in it and it was plenty warm. Mine is a xxl and its baggy on me - my chest currently measures 49 inches with a tape and I can pull it almost a foot off of my chest. Without stretching it.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    thanks, @lorrpb , @aokoye, @MaryContrary1972 I'll check these. As an REI member, I already know their lineup. i was at my local one about 10d ago for a "trailside repairs" hands on seminar and learned a couple of things. "local" for me is about a 50mile drive, lol - my only complaint about rei.

REI is also online and is likely to have a broader selection of sizes.